Corsair Accelerator 30GB SSD Cache Drive Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

The Corsair Accelerator SSD cache drive series was designed for desktop PC users who want to give their Microsoft Windows based PC a dramatic performance boost with minimal cost and hassle. We take a look at the Corsair Accelerator 30GB to see how it performs on a computer that is nearly a year old to see if it helps boost performance. Read on to find out more about this SSD Cache drive and see what happens.

The Corsair Accelerator Series was designed to significantly boost your systems read and write performance by the least intrusive method possible. If you are looking for a quick and easy way to upgrade your existing system this is most certainly one of the best ways to do it. Sure you don't have to do any drive mapping or need to reinstall the operating system, but it isn't as 'no hassle' as we first thought...
Article Title: Corsair Accelerator 30GB SSD Cache Drive Review
Article Title: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1966/1/
Pricing At Time of Print: $44.99 After Rebate
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Corsair Accelerator 30GB SSD Cache Drive Review

Post by gwolfman »

Thanks for the review. I'll consider this for relatives with slow PCs who are unwilling to reinstall everything or unwilling to manage where they store files.
One thing that we also realized is that Corsair gives no mention of having to update this drive or how to perform an update on their website or in the supplied the instructions. What is the proper update procedure? We again contacted NVELO and they told us:

Dataplex uses the normal program uninstall via Control Panel – Control Panel > Uninstall a Program > Dataplex
This worries me. Does that mean when you uninstall the product and then reinstall the new(est) version that you lose all the learning and cache you built up? In other words, is your cache having to start anew or does it retain that information with the product update?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

gwolfman wrote:Thanks for the review. I'll consider this for relatives with slow PCs who are unwilling to reinstall everything or unwilling to manage where they store files.
One thing that we also realized is that Corsair gives no mention of having to update this drive or how to perform an update on their website or in the supplied the instructions. What is the proper update procedure? We again contacted NVELO and they told us:

Dataplex uses the normal program uninstall via Control Panel – Control Panel > Uninstall a Program > Dataplex
This worries me. Does that mean when you uninstall the product and then reinstall the new(est) version that you lose all the learning and cache you built up? In other words, is your cache having to start anew or does it retain that information with the product update?

Thanks! From my understanding when you remove the dataplex software and re-install it you will lose the cache that you built up.
Follow Me on Twitter!
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Nvelo.com, the people behind Dataplex have a nice link back to LR
Screenshot.png
Joe you're famous :)
basroil
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by basroil »

Any chance we'll see an update with ISR cache performance too? I think more people would be interested in having this as a drop in replacement for a Z68/Z77 board than in installing another program. I know I would be interested in seeing how it lines up with the 300 series from Intel (at a much lower price).
ShofB
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by ShofB »

Run, don't walk away from these drives. This is the most poorly designed and engineered piece of hardware/software I have ever encountered I have over 30 years experience having worked in software, hardware and as an associate professor teaching computer science.

The software installs on the target drive so that Windows sees the target drive and the accelerator as one drive. The accelerator onlly works on the one drive. This provides high performance but with that comes the potential for data destruction. I tried to use this system for 2 months and in that time I had to completely re-install Windows 3 times. One time I was able to get the system to boot but only after going into safe mode and uninstalling the software.

Two times my system hung after I installed a new program and I was forced to powered down and then back up. That was enough to screw up the system to the point that the boot drive was trashed and I had to re-install everything. I called customer support who admitted that was a problem but they didn't feel that it happened enough to worry about it. Yeah, right. Those Windows systems are rock solid and never need a reboot or power cycle. Give me a break.

When a new version of the software is released you have to uninstall the previous version before installing the new one. Oh yeah, if you disable the software for any reason you guessed it you have to uninstall and then re-install the software. Brilliant.

When the system worked it was actually pretty good. But all that BS about mot having to reinstall Windows is just that, BS.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Thanks for the feed back and I feel that most of your concerns were addressed in the review we published on this product! (Which makes me happy)

I just looked at the latest release notes and noticed:
Version 1.2.0.1 (09-07-2012)

1. New Features:
1.1 Support for secondary target drive.

2. Resolved Issues:
2.1 Misc bug fixes.
It looks like the latest build now caches two drives.
Follow Me on Twitter!