been interesting day yesterday

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

been interesting day yesterday

Post by DragonFury »

Well it started off as trying to figure out why the in world I could not set up a simple homegroup on anyone of the computers, there are 4 total on this network, 1 is mine, 1 is roomies, 1 is HTPC, and 1 laptop. Everytime I try to set up homegroup on the three I own, lappy, main, and HTPC it would say that Dragon on Dragon-PC has the password, funny thing was I am Dragon while using Dragon-PC and it wouldn't give me squat. Long story short, I found out that it was my roomies computer that was confusing the hell out of the homegroup and his computer was "Portraying as Dragon on Dragon-PC", but during my trouble shooting episode I redid the OS on my Main computer to eliminate any possibilities, or problems on my end; I somehow managed to wipe out my entire backup drive I use for store all of my files that I do with my programs. Ie, I would use Microsoft Word and save that document on my back up drive. I lost all of my homework that I was working on, all of my images that relate to here, school, and various pictures I been taking over the years.

I tired a recovery program but the issue is that somehow I managed to wipe out the partition on the drive itself, the program my pops using could not pick up anything.
Mini ME
Is in a state of flux....
WaKai
Legit User
Legit User

Re: been interesting day yesterday

Post by WaKai »

have you tried a partition recovery program? You didn't specify if it was partition program or not.
I tested this one by creating a partition on my external drive then deleting it, it found the partition and recovered it:
http://download.cnet.com/Easeus-Data-Re ... ag=mncol;1

make sure you do custom install and untick everything so that you don't install that extra browser stuff you don't need.

:edit:
I've edited the link in your post. You had a link to download directly from dl.cnet
Please don't do this again.
Not saying it's spam, but pls give members the choice to decide to download it themselves.

: KenC51 (mod)
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Dragon,

I hate those days. things never work out easy.

C'est la vie

or As Gaeilge (in Irish)
cac a tharlaíonn

:drinkers:
WaKai
Legit User
Legit User

Post by WaKai »

WaKai wrote:
:edit:
I've edited the link in your post. You had a link to download directly from dl.cnet
Please don't do this again.
Not saying it's spam, but pls give members the choice to decide to download it themselves.

: KenC51 (mod)
Ok thanks for the edit!
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

You must have been tired or frustrated to make that kind of boo boo. Sometimes its just better just to walk away then to do what you did. I hope everything works out for you. You should have just slept on it. Wake up in a refreshed mood than to do something harsh or worse, like loosing your data. Anyway, best of luck. Been there, done that. Just saying because you are not alone.
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by smack323 »

I did the same thing when reinstalling an OS o few years back.. I accidently installed on my storage drive.. I was able to recover about 90% of my files though. sorry to hear..
Core i5-6500 - Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4 2133 - MSI 2080Ti - Antec 750W - Crucial 525GB SSD - Windows 10 64bit - ASUS 32" LED