Antec LanBoy Air Modular Mid Tower Case Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Today we get to look at the newest case from Antec, the LanBoy Air. The LanBoy Air is a fully-modular case that can be customized 34,800 ways. The LanBoy Air sports unprecedented top-to-bottom mesh construction for extensive air ventilation and includes five 120 mm fans and space for a total of 15 cooling fans! So join us as we look at this newest offering from Antec.

Antec has been known for great cases over the years, and the LanBoy Air is another in a long line. The case is well built, well thought out, and unlike most cases you can change it with a little time and a Phillips screw driver. The overall design of the LanBoy Air is very well thought out. In moving parts around I never had a situation arise that the holes didn't line up or something didn't fit. The Antec LanBoy Air is available for $219.95; for that price you get case that is very customizable and has room for the biggest hardware available at this time. If you want to customize a case but don't have a lot of tools or the skill, then give the LanBoy Air a good look because you just need a little time and a screw driver.
Article Title: Antec LanBoy Air Modular Mid Tower Case Review
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1421/1/
Pricing At Time of Print: $219.95 MSRP
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Antec LanBoy Air Modular Mid Tower Case Review

Post by Major_A »

For $220 the frame should be aluminum, not steel.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Stands a better chance of the threads in the tubing being stripped out if it was aluminum. With as small of threads that are being used it would be very easily done, I have Lian Li cases that I have stripped threads in.

That and thick wall aluminum tubing that is as strong as the steel is almost twice the price.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
glucoseboy
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by glucoseboy »

Shane: Can you post a comment regarding the noise level of the case with the included 5 stock fans?

Thanks!
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Its quiet, very livable. I don't a sound meter so I cant say exactly. I think they are a little quieter than the original TriCool fans.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Antec_Jessie
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Antec_Jessie »

Thanks for the review Shane. We appreciate the effort!

If you all have any non-review related questions, I'm happy to assist.
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

Sweet case, they should have called it the "Transformer" or better yet "Optimus Prime" =P~
Thanks for the in-depth review Shane, as always very informative yet not a fluff piece.
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gwolfman »

At first I thought it was ugly, but after the video and your review, I think I like it.

Funny how you mention that part about the side panel being snug with after hiding the power cables behind there. I find this issue on practically all cases I work with. Why don't they just add a 1/4 of an inch on the side and make it worth the effort!!!
lordvic
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by lordvic »

Kaos Kid wrote:Sweet case, they should have called it the "Transformer" or better yet "Optimus Prime" =P~
Thanks for the in-depth review Shane, as always very informative yet not a fluff piece.
:lol:

This case is very unique indeed; removable panels, PSU can be top or bottom, drives can be rotated, storage compartment...man... :shock:

I still have this...thought at the back of my head..is it sturdy enough? I mean, it's all mesh, hollow steel tubing, rubber "bungie cords" for the hard drives, etc.
Another thing: all intake fans?!
Cooler Master HAF 932 // Phenom II 1090T @ 4.1GHz (not 110% stable) // ASUS Crosshair V Formula 990FX // Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler // Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 @ 1150/1500 // 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill RipJaws + 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill RipJawsX @1600 8-9-8-21-1T // Corsair TX850 // Corsair ForceGT 120GB SSD // Kingston V200+ 120GB SSD // WD Caviar Black 1TB // LiteON DVD-RW // Windows 7 Ult. 64-bit
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

There should be a label on the box. Do not buy this if you own a pet. I imagine that after a month this thing would start to look like another pet.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Antec_Jessie wrote:Thanks for the review Shane. We appreciate the effort!

If you all have any non-review related questions, I'm happy to assist.
lordvic wrote:I still have this...thought at the back of my head..is it sturdy enough? I mean, it's all mesh, hollow steel tubing, rubber "bungie cords" for the hard drives, etc.
Another thing: all intake fans?!
Steel tubing is stronger than you think. This is ~1/2" tubing 1/8-3/16" wall, it will take a fair bit to bend. Dont think you can set on it, but will defiantly hold up to being moved around. Like any mesh panel you push hard enough it will bend, but I have yet to bend one moving the case around.

With the positive pressure set up for the fans the only thing I can think of is there is so much air going into the case that nothing can settle and come to a rest, and makes its way out of the case through the slots in the side panels.

I'll know here in a month or so. When I some fittings I ordered arrive the case will be setting on the floor running pretty much 24/7. I have another system in the same room that I have to "shave" the dust bunnies off the front intake screen about once a month.
-Thomas Jefferson
Labyrinth
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Labyrinth »

i guess to use dust filter at every mesh on this case :)
Antec_Jessie
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Antec_Jessie »

With the positive pressure set up for the fans the only thing I can think of is there is so much air going into the case that nothing can settle and come to a rest, and makes its way out of the case through the slots in the side panels.
Exactly.
RaphYkun
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by RaphYkun »

I just made an account to say that you are the first reviewer/user of this case that actually mounted their water cooling solution on the INSIDE of the case. I realise this seems very specific, but ever since I've seen the Lanboy Air, I've been thinking of ways to mount the watercooling internally. Everyone else just tries to put 15 fans or slaps a rad on top. This review really helped validate my idea so that I didn't go out and burn 200$ on something that wasn't feasible. Thank You
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Oh it can be done, just don't plan on still using all the hard drive bays. :lol:

In the process of doing the review had the nagging thought of "what if" couple hours and a trip to the hardware store, I had my answer.
-Thomas Jefferson