AMD A10-5800K Trinity Desktop APU Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

AMD A10-5800K Trinity Desktop APU Review

Post by Apoptosis »

Last week we gave you a sneak peak of the new AMD Trinity APU. Today we can bare it all and give you the nitty gritty as we get down and dirty with the latest offering from AMD. The Trinity APU had a very promising start in last week's preview as it was able to dominate the Intel Core i7 3770K! Will the A10-5800K continue to dominate the Core i7 3770K, or will the Core i7 3770K make a comeback? Read on to find out if the AMD A10-5800K Trinity APU continues to reign supreme!

The internal testing from AMD that we can see above shows a 37% increase in the 3DMark 11 score between the first generation A-Series Llano and this generation of A-Series Trinity. While our numbers don't match their numbers exactly, our Llano system scored 1115 3Dmarks while the AMD internal testing showed 1150 3DMarks. Our AMD A10-5800K scored 1521 3DMarks while they scored 1570. The overall difference was remarkably similar, AMD is boasting an increase of 37% and we saw a difference of 36.4%!

Article Title: AMD A10-5800K Trinity Desktop APU Review
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/2047/1/
Pricing At Time of Print: $144.50 Shipped for the A10-5800K
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
MySchizoBuddy
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Re: AMD A10-5800K Trinity Desktop APU Review

Post by MySchizoBuddy »

what about GPU overclock?
INeedAFnSuffix
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by INeedAFnSuffix »

If you think the cooling solution is bad, let's look to intel!
I got a PD E5700(Just for cheapness sake, this is just for a media PC) earlier this year and was wondering why my motherboard wouldn't boot beyond 220MHz base clock and i finally found my answer.
A 5MHz base clock overclock shot the starting temperatures to 64C on the stock cooler! I know my motherboard doesn't take overclocks nicely but hey, that's a bad cooler. (Oh yeah, normal clock it was 42C idle and that's no good either plus i actually took care not to apply too much or too little "silver" paste)
It's this cooler, the one with the aluminium base, hard to believe they bundle this crap
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

yeah the coolers they are using for entry level CPU coolers are based around build costs and overclocking on them is really bad. Not everyone knows that though, so wanted to show it.
Follow Me on Twitter!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

MySchizoBuddy wrote:what about GPU overclock?
Future article when the drivers and BIOS versions are mature. We used 4 BIOS revisions on this board in the past week, so things are changing too much to do a ton of testing that would be invalid by the time it is written.
Follow Me on Twitter!
CoachAub
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by CoachAub »

I find it quite impressive that the Trinity chip kills Ivy Bridge in gaming, because of the graphics. Now, you would think that AMD rumors of sale would be foolish when they have "some" things going in the right direction. Of course Intel's processors are way ahead, but their on-chip graphics are poor competitors to the HD 7660 we've just seen. The real threat these days for both Intel and AMD is Nvidia. Their Tegra chips are filling tablets and small devices. Intel and AMD are both headed in the right direction, but are apparently too slow to shrink and combine these processes to meet consumer demands. Hmm....a lot of rapid changes in the industry are in store.
Rig#1: Intel i5-3570K, MSI-B75MA-P45 mobo, G-Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 2x4gb, MSI-7870 2gd5t/oc gpu, Tt TR2-600w psu, Tt Commander Snow ed. Case, Cooler Master Hyper212+ HSF, OCZ Agility3 SSD 120GB, WE Caviar Black 750GB
Rig#2: AMD Phenom 2-970, MSI-890FXA-GD-65 mobo, 6GB Geil DDR3-1333, HIS Radeon HD6870 1GB gpu, Antec Quattro-850 psu, Rosewill Conqueror Case, Zalman CNPS-9500 hsf, 1TB Toshiba Sata3 HD
INeedAFnSuffix
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by INeedAFnSuffix »

It's not totally about shrinking, AMD does have some tablet processors and for christ's sake the Tegra 3 is VERY power hungry if you had one. The One X and One X+ itself is lovely but the proc is not. Tegra 3+ sure improved the benchmark scores but it's still power hungry at 40nm.