First impressions of the Apple I-Phone 5

A place to talk about all things mobile
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

First impressions of the Apple I-Phone 5

Post by vbironchef »

All I am hearing from Natasha is how she misses Google Maps. That's all I hear day in and day out. I wish I never bought her the Apple I-Phone 5. Is there a way to put Google Maps on her damn phone?
Dogs is good
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Re: First impressions of the Apple I-Phone 5

Post by Dogs is good »

You ought to be happy that she is not complaining about the rattling noise it makes, scratches on it from the factory, that the aluminum back scratches very easily, lousy wi-fi signal, bubbles in the touchscreen, light leaks, and any of the other problems that have been reported with the iPhone 5.

Either last night or this morning Tim Cook apologized for the problems with the ios maps and suggested that users install one of several other map apps. He included a way to make an icon that will bring up Google maps. Ask her to look around on apple's web site and she will probably find the info.

The best way to fix the problem is to buy her a top-of-the-line Android phone. They, . . well, . . . they just work! :lol:
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Dogs is good wrote:You ought to be happy that she is not complaining about the rattling noise it makes, scratches on it from the factory, that the aluminum back scratches very easily, lousy wi-fi signal, bubbles in the touchscreen, light leaks, and any of the other problems that have been reported with the iPhone 5.

Either last night or this morning Tim Cook apologized for the problems with the ios maps and suggested that users install one of several other map apps. He included a way to make an icon that will bring up Google maps. Ask her to look around on apple's web site and she will probably find the info.

The best way to fix the problem is to buy her a top-of-the-line Android phone. They, . . well, . . . they just work! :lol:
Don't make it worse than it already is. I am in a living hell right now! Damn Apple!

So basically you are saying that I bought a brick with a two year contract. Just Great! ](*,)
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

I don't have any issues with mine. Map of my area seems accurate, came scratch free, and doesn't have any of the other problems described. It does rattle a bit when shaken (volume buttons) but who cares? All of these issues can be found in all the other smart phones. No manufacturing process is perfect and defects happen. There are just less people buying them so the prevalence is lower and for whatever reason the OCD people come out in spades for Apple products. :lol:
Joe
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

She is also complaining about battery drain. She says that when not in use it still drains the battery. Maybe this in normal, I don't know. Any complaints on battery drain?
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

put an icon on the front screen to go to google maps online. There are some apps also. I think Nate mentioned them in that hilarious letter from Apple about how they are making maps better.

battery drain...from an apple? I call bluff. LMAO - ok, let me stop laughing about retina. I have heard some people saying that the battery drains rapidly while not using it but nobody I have talked to knows why. Sorry, no help, just had to laugh about retina. :mrgreen:
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Dogs is good
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Dogs is good »

Vbironchef, I just ran across an article that may bring some relief to the problems with the battery life on the iphone 5. There is an outfit on kickstarter that may be of some help in the near future. The story I saw was on another tech site, and I hope that Nate doesn't mind the link being posted here to help out a LR member.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/iExpan ... 17946.html

It looks like any other case I have seen for an iphone, but, speaking about the iphone 5 model, it has another battery built in, and it is the same exact battery that is in the phone to start with (=doubles run time), a built-in Lightning to 30-pin adapter so you can use all of your old stuff with it, a micro SD slot so that you can expand the memory if you want, and a more powerful flash that has a longer duration flash (=more light power when taking a photo). Plus it is a pretty good looking protective case too. Check out the link.

As for the problem with maps, she can always install an icon for Google Maps, per Tim Cook's letter on the apple web site.

Since her phone should still be within the return period, make sure that none of the other problems I mentioned in my first post are showing up before you run out of time to return it. Also look for light leaks around the front cover, and do this in a dark room. They will give you a new phone if you find any.

Honestly, I suggest that you make sure that she wants an iphone, and won't accept an Android phone. If she is willing to go with an Android phone, the HTC One X phones (3 models, ATT) are great, as is the Samsung Galaxy S III (most carriers, I think), and so is the HTC Rezound (verizon). Those are all very powerful phones, even the Rezound, which I have. The Rez is still a top-notch powerhouse even though it has been out for 11 months! The screen has a higher pixel/inch count than even the apple retina screens, 326 ppi for the retina, 342 ppi for the Rez, and the Rez screen is a real true 720p HD display!. It is incredibly sharp. You can get good deals on all of these phones, especially the Rez (if you are on, or are willing to go on verizon), because it has been out for so long.

Good luck, and if you need any further help, we'll all try to do our best.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

I already purchased the Convenience Package through Verizon. It includes a case, screen protector, and a bullet that you plug into you car lighter that coverts to a usb adapter. Went to Apple store and bought a lightening cable to usb cable.

As far as battery drain goes, I think that there is a built in tracking device that uses some battery life and some data. Can't say for sure but how else would you explain it.

The whole Google maps issue is still a no go. It's just the same as the real thing. You still can't get street view, put pins down and doesn't work smoothly at all. To the best of my trying, there's still is no fix for Google Maps.

I believe that Apple I-Phone 5 is a step backwards and unless it gets Google Maps part of their OS. then the only thing that Apple has going for it is that it passes the drop test. Believe me that I'm sure people aren't just going to drop it, they are going to throw it (out the window, against a brick wall, etc...)

In my opinion ios6 should never have been part of this phone. ios5 worked just great and Natasha never complained once on the I-Pad 2,and 3. I believe that people should have been able to switch between ios5 and i0s6 at their choosing. Also be able to switch back to ios5 if they didn't like ios6. Only time will tell if Apple does the right thing for once. I believed all the hype about this phone and this ios6 is right now a step backwards. Next time I won't jump on the band wagon and buy something so soon until the product is released and hear all the reviews first. Ok, so I learned a lesson. It won't happen again.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Well Natasha did the same test with the camera. She did not encounter the issue that the other reviewer had. Taking a picture of the sun did not give the redness the the other reviewer posted. So I don't think that there is anything wrong with the camera. I have to be honest and give credit where credit is do.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

So now I hear of the I-Phone 5s coming out in January. What's up with that.
Comparisim
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Comparisim »

battery drain is a common issue for any super smartphone these days whether it be Apple or droid. In fact the biggest culprit for battery drain on an android is Google maps in my experience because of the fact that, while using maps, the device uses internet continually and it also uses some satellite connection to identify the phones position on the map. battery drain is something we will have to love with until better mobile phone batteries are developed which won't be for a while yet since power consuming app/hardware development is moving faster than battery development could ever dream of moving.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Just a update. Now that Google Maps is now on her I-Phone, you cannot pry it out of her hands. I don't hear one complaint anymore. :)