AMD is up for sale

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

AMD is up for sale

Post by vbironchef »

No joke! They are exploring options.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: AMD is up for sale

Post by Apoptosis »

yup

I really can't believe the PC market has gotten this bad, but let's face it... Even Legit Reviews is reviewing smartphones and tablets now and will be focusing on that a bit more in the future. AMD was late to the mobile space like so many other companies.

Predictions are that most 7" tablets are going to be under $100 next year and that many will be free with services... Once that happens where will the PC industry be as a whole?
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Who do you think would be the buyer? I doubt it could be Intel. Maybe qualcomm or Mircosoft, Google? Who did I miss that could buy this company. I doubt it would be nvidia. What do you think?

Edit: My best guess is Samsung.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Official AMD statement just came in my e-mail:
“AMD’s board and management believe that the strategy the company is currently pursuing to drive long-term growth by leveraging AMD’s highly-differentiated technology assets is the right approach to enhance shareholder value. AMD is not actively pursuing a sale of the company or significant assets at this time.”
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

I just heard this also. My response is: My a**. I bet that Apple just bought out the company.
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Apoptosis wrote:Official AMD statement just came in my e-mail:
“AMD’s board and management believe that the strategy the company is currently pursuing to drive long-term growth by leveraging AMD’s highly-differentiated technology assets is the right approach to enhance shareholder value. AMD is not actively pursuing a sale of the company or significant assets at this time.”
Key phrase: "not actively pursuing" which doesn't rule out entertaining offers. I noticed their stock was up nicely today.
Joe
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

FZ1 wrote:
Apoptosis wrote:Official AMD statement just came in my e-mail:
Key phrase: "not actively pursuing" which doesn't rule out entertaining offers. I noticed their stock was up nicely today.
and their stock went back down again once investors found out they werent actively looking to sell LOL

Intel would not be allowed to buy it probably, at least in the eyes of the USA as it would take every bit of competition away. Kind of like Microsoft buying Apple.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Brad555
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Brad555 »

Its looking good offer. :)
trickson
Legit User
Legit User

Post by trickson »

LOL. AMD is for sale!
Q9650 @4.0GHz , 8GB Kingston Hyper X gaming RAM , 2 Barracudas in Raid0 1Tb , ATI HD5870 and custom water cooling . Windows 7 64 bit Pro.
CoachAub
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by CoachAub »

With the recent change of CEO you would think they would be working toward profitability in the early stage of his tenure. Aren't the gpus selling?? They are/were ahead of Intel imo in the idea of combining cpu/gpu, etc. How can they not fight to stay on top, jump into the small device market with their apus? If they sell, I hope an established co. buys them. The Ivy bridges have been so affordable due to competition imo. So, regardless of fanboy statuses, we need at least 2 serious competitors in the market,even as cpu's change form.
Rig#1: Intel i5-3570K, MSI-B75MA-P45 mobo, G-Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 2x4gb, MSI-7870 2gd5t/oc gpu, Tt TR2-600w psu, Tt Commander Snow ed. Case, Cooler Master Hyper212+ HSF, OCZ Agility3 SSD 120GB, WE Caviar Black 750GB
Rig#2: AMD Phenom 2-970, MSI-890FXA-GD-65 mobo, 6GB Geil DDR3-1333, HIS Radeon HD6870 1GB gpu, Antec Quattro-850 psu, Rosewill Conqueror Case, Zalman CNPS-9500 hsf, 1TB Toshiba Sata3 HD