Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Samsung is now officially the first to offer a TLC NAND based drive thanks to their fabrication prowess and desire to innovate. The 840 Series, powered by Samsung's own triple core controller, takes the reins of this value oriented drive and puts up some nice performance numbers against a host of MLC NAND based drives. But what exactly is TLC NAND and why should you care? Have a read of our latest SSD review to find out.

The 840 Series drive comes loaded with TLC NAND - the first one of its kind. As such, its performance is more modest than that of some enthusiast level drives in the writes arena but darn good in reads which, if you had to choose, would be where you'd want to see your top speeds. We found it to be a very consistent performer and no slouch when it comes to real world tasks thanks in part to their 300Mhz triple core controller. Reads were consistently in the vicinity of the 530MB/s mark and writes near 240MB/s...
Article Title: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD Review
Article URL: http://legitreviews.com/article/2077/1/
Pricing At Time of Print: $177.99 Shipped
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD Review

Post by Sporg »

I saw the review and saw the sale on BF but didn't pull the trigger. Good review and thanks for the great info. I recently ordered an Asus UX32VD-DH71 and plan to throw in an SSD at some point (it comes with a hybrid drive).
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell