Testing Memory Speeds on AMD's A10-5800K Trinity APU

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

If you are planning on building a desktop PC using an AMD Accelerated Processor we have just the article you you today! We will be using the AMD A10-5800K Trinity APU and looking at how the DDR3 memory kit you select for this platform directly impacts the performance of this 2nd generation APU. Read on to see what speed memory kit to buy!

In game benchmarks we saw a ~38% performance gain by running a 2133MHz memory kit versus a 1333Mhz memory kit. This is a major performance gain and obviously shows that the AMD Radeon HD 7660D integrated graphics was being bottlenecked by the systems memory. If you ever plan on playing games with an APU powered system then you'll want to go with the memory kit with the highest possible clock speed that you can afford.
Article Title: Testing Memory Speeds on AMD's A10-5800K Trinity APU
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/2106/1/
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Testing Memory Speeds on AMD's A10-5800K Trinity APU

Post by sbohdan »

The link from the end of the article doesn't lead here. I leads to the general board index! I had to manually brows here.

It would of been nice to mention (or compare) what the same memory does in an intel platform (P67-Z68-Z77). My P67 rig is almost 3 years old and my $60 (at the time) GSkill memory gives me over 29GB/s memory bandwith (with the CPU OC) @2133Mhz! Almost twice as much, which shows how AMD is behind in technology, compared with Intel. I remember as it used to be the complete oposite years ago, as AMD was far superior when it came to its memory controler. It seems, when building an AMD platform, just get the cheapest memory possible, since there is little difference in speed.

Other than that, it's a very nice review as allways. Thank you LR :prayer:
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

sbohdan wrote:The link from the end of the article doesn't lead here. I leads to the general board index! I had to manually brows here.

It would of been nice to mention (or compare) what the same memory does in an intel platform (P67-Z68-Z77). My P67 rig is almost 3 years old and my $60 (at the time) GSkill memory gives me over 29GB/s memory bandwith (with the CPU OC) @2133Mhz! Almost twice as much, which shows how AMD is behind in technology, compared with Intel. I remember as it used to be the complete oposite years ago, as AMD was far superior when it came to its memory controler. It seems, when building an AMD platform, just get the cheapest memory possible, since there is little difference in speed.

Other than that, it's a very nice review as allways. Thank you LR :prayer:
Updated the forum link in the review! Sorry about that.

When Haswell comes out I will look at memory performance on that platform. Just not enough time in the day to do it all!
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

The non-gaming results are kind of disappointing. Seems like Llano scaled much better than Trinity. Obviously the faster the RAM the better the game performance but holy hell that's a big difference! Keep these kinds of articles/reviews coming. Happy New Year!
INeedAFnSuffix
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by INeedAFnSuffix »

Major_A wrote:The non-gaming results are kind of disappointing. Seems like Llano scaled much better than Trinity. Obviously the faster the RAM the better the game performance but holy hell that's a big difference! Keep these kinds of articles/reviews coming. Happy New Year!
Which means the Llano relied more heavily on RAM speed, it's progress to me to see that memory bandwidth reliance has dropped :rolleyes: