New Rosewill L600N Router/CHARTER Driving Me Bats**t Crazy!

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

New Rosewill L600N Router/CHARTER Driving Me Bats**t Crazy!

Post by Kaos Kid »

I bought the Rosewill L600N from the egg, and I've been having nothing but trouble. My line of progression goes as follows:

Charter HiSpeed Internet cable >>> Motorola SB6121 modem >>> Rosewill L600N router

Charter states that my connection is Dynamic, and I can vouch for that because if I unplug the modem for more than a minute or so it will come back with a different IP address than I had before. However, if I run an "automatic setup" on the router, sometimes it reports a Dynamic IP, but more often reports a Static IP. Once I get a connection, I lose DHCP from the modem in anywhere between 15 minutes and 8 hours. Yesterday I did a modem default reset through the browser and reboot of the router and it lasted almost 8 hours, but then dropped handshake again about 15 minutes after I went to bed so when I got up my network was again internet-less ( found this out through my router logs). I've tried doing default resets on the modem through a browser, soft resets on the modem through the browser, hard resets on the modem by unplugging power cable, and of course the same things on the router as well. When I do a reset and get access to the cable modem back, the logs keep seeing ranging errors and T3 errors, so I suspect the modem is timing out so the modem and the router are losing their "handshake". My network stays intact, as I have one computer hardwired in to the router and 4 wireless devices in my network. AFter losing internet, I can still see all my devices on my network using WNetWatcher, and on all the individual devices I see "strong" to "excellent" connection statuses with the router as well as their reserved assigned address in the status connection menu I get by right clicking the icon in the system tray. So I know my router is talking to my network devices, I just don't think the modem and router are talking correctly to each other after a set period of time, and I don't know if it is the routers' fault or the modems. From what I've seen from others' posts, the modem starts giving Ranging and T3 errors, times out, then the router loses access to the internet.

I have tried going to Charter and getting a new SB6121 modem to see if that was the trouble, but it has the same problems. My quandary is that running Google searches come up with both T3 timeout problems with the SB6121 on various IP Providers, as well as recent Newegg customer reviews griping about dropped connections on the L600N (but even then some of those could be from an SB6121?) so after a week and a half of troubleshooting I still can't figure out whether the cable modem is my problem or the router is. I have the Iron Egg guarantee that lets me go until the end of January for RMAs so I have time to figure this out, but my frustration level is BONKERS ](*,) (as well as my wife and kid's for multiple losses of their internet connections until I reprovision/reboot the modem and router).

Can any networking gurus shed any light on this problem for me? Thanks!
Last edited by Kaos Kid on Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New Router (or Charter?) Driving Me Bats**t Crazy!

Post by Apoptosis »

You are correct.. Charter is dynamic:
On many networks, the IP address is always the same; this is a static IP address. On other networks, a random IP address is assigned each time a computer connects to the network; this is a dynamic IP address.
Charter Communications® users are provided a dynamic IP address. Static IP addresses are available for Charter Business customers.
Can you manually set the router up?

I have a Motorola 6120 cable model and have no issues with it out here on Charter.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

Funny (not) I had already lost connection again after the last post so I'm typing this quickly before it happens again.

I could probably set it up manually ( I know where the config screen in my router), but how will I know the IP, Default Gateway, DNS servers, etc. if I have to keep restarting the modem it gives me new assignations every time?
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

I think that the "ToD request sent--not received" and T3 timeouts is usually the beginning of the Internet being disconnected. The router lights still show that the modem is connected to it, and the modem shows that it is connected to the router, just no more Internet love... (not to sound dirty, :lol: )
Last edited by Kaos Kid on Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

It disconnected again almost directly after my last post. Since the router was seeing my Dynamic address as Static, I decided to try something--I took the last settings for IP Address, Gateway, DNS servers, etc. (they were ghosted in grey in the manual table) and saved them in manually as Static, and changed the subnet mask from 255.255.240.0 to 255.255.255.0... As long as Charter doesn't change address on me mid-stream without me rebooting hopefully it will work.

It has now been up for 2 hours without a WAN Link disconnect. Not that that means a whole lot, I had it up for 8 hours yesterday before it disconnected. I do have to wonder though if some of the problem isn't that Charter has the modem set to be a DHCP server, and the Router is also a DHCP server and maybe they aren't playing nice with each other for that reason. The firmware upgrade that Rosewill put out that is supposed to fix this problem that everyone is having by putting the router assigning DHCP addresses between 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.200 instead of the normal defaults of starting at 192.168.1.2

We'll see how this goes. The lucky thing for me is that this router was bought with the Iron Egg guarantee so I have until 1-31-2013 to RMA it, of course I will give up much sooner than that if I can't get these issues resolved.

oops, even as I type the streaming youtube video on my HTPC is having hiccups(I'm streaming the 12-12-12 concert so I will know when the connection drops even if I'm in another room), I hope that isn't a signal that it it about to go out again. The modem logs didn't show anything wrong so maybe it was just youtube and the buffers. The worst part is that there are documented problems with both the modem and the router so its hard to pinpoint exactly which one it is, but since my wireless network stays viable and I only lose internet I have to hazard a guess that it is something with the modem and Charter.

The life of troubleshooting is a frustrating one, I tell ya whut ](*,)

PS In setting up this router, it seems that they have at least one thing bass-ackwards--there is a wireless access control where you can enter the MAC addresses to a wireless card list. On my Linksys 54GL router this list let you input a list of ONLY the wireless devices that are allowed and no others could connect even if they had your SSID and password. On this Rosewill it seems to be just the opposite: I made a list of my four wireless devices MAC addresses, and when I enable the control, they are all prohibited from accessing the network. So for added security you have to actually be monitoring the connections and see someone connect to your network that shouldn't be there, and then add their MAC addresses to a list of devices that are prohibited. Hopefully this will be changed in a future firmware release, or a compatible DD-WRT firmware be released that will allow you to do that. Seems silly to be doing it the way they are now.
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

I'm still seeing dropped connections where the network is up but no internet connection. I check the cable modems logs and see little to indicate that it has stopped broadcasting to the router, but when I check the routers' logs I see a few entries like this:

2012-12-28 06:52:50 [5] syslog: [IPCONN] Wan[DHCP] Link was Connected, Run Cmd: ifconfig eth0 96.35.210.20 netmask 255.255.240.0 mtu 1500 .
2012-12-28 06:52:50 [5] syslog: [IPCONN] Wan[DHCP] Link was Disconnected

in the log progression, the link disconnected at 6:52AM this morning, but then immediately shows a (re)connect in the same instant. It seems to me that it would indicate the router itself loses a link to the cable modem for less than a second, then finds it again. Would that mean that the problem is with the router, not the cable modem or Charter's signal (at least to MY node)?

Also, I noticed that overnight the router kept (re)assigning a local IP address (192.168.1.102, which is the proper assignation to that MAC) to my computer that is on 24/7, and was doing so every half-hour on the minute from 11:40PM last night until 06:40AM this morning. Then at 06:52AM this morning the disconnect and reconnect as seen above.

I also see what the router describes as "DoS SynFlood Attacks" in the router logs every so often from the same two or three addresses (when I do a "whois" search it only tells me the host is "pixel.quantserve.net" or something from "Edgecast Networks", or "deviantart" ?), but I think those are informational notices only that the router firewall is doing its job.

Another weird thing, I am supposed to have a Dynamic IP from Charter, and the router usually sees is as such. However, I did a "reset" in the modem's configuration, as well as unplugging (power cycling) both the modem and the router for over a half hour last night, but when I reconnected them I still ended up getting the same IP address from Charter. Asking their help line gets me nowhere, as probably 99% of the time they are reading from a script and don't really know what they are doing. They just usually want to do another power cycle/flush and when I get internet back they think the problem is solved even though it reoccurs later.

Please correct ANY or all of my assumptions to help me determine exactly what is the cause of my problems--the signal from Charter to my modem, the modem itself, or the router itself.

Thanks!
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Can you test with only the charter modem?
How is the charter modem setup? Does it assign a 192 address to the Roswell router or is it bridged to the Roswell with that getting assigned the public (charter IP)?
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

In looking in the router configs, I see that on the LAN interface page it is assigned the address 192.168.1.1 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0 (same settings as my lInksys 54GL was) then the router assigns the individual computers on my network with the ranges of 192.168.1.100>>>.200...the original firmware had the ranges starting at 192.168.1.2>>>.254 but Rosewill changed that with a firmware update due to supposedly causing problems. On the WAN interface page I have the setting for the router to get the Dynamic address and it shows (in grey) the actual IP address that the internet sees my network at (the IP address that Charter assigns me). It also has the setting to automatically get the DNS servers from the IP, and I see them listed in grey as well. On the device info page I see the MAC addresses as follows: The LAN Port MAC ends in A3 (the MAC addy on the router casing), The Internet Port MAC is the same but ends in A4.

In looking at the router logs, I see that it has dropped then reconnected a couple of times, and it has reassigned my 24/7 box its reserved assigned address every 30 minutes (again) since my last post.
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

Update:

I uninstalled the Rosewill router and went back to the LInksys 54GL. Although it doesn't have a log like the Rosewill to check, it hasn't dropped internet for 49 hours now. When checking the cable modems' log, there hasn't been an entry during that 49 hours, whereas there were multiple warnings and notifications in the modem log when attached to the Rosewill router. Barring other evidence to the contrary, I'd have to say either the router is faulty or it just doesn't play nice with the Surfboard 6121 modem. After 24 more hours of no problems, I will go back to the Rosewill one more time and take it back to defaults and give it one more chance. After that I will simply have to RMA back to Newegg, I just hope with all the aggravation that has caused me they pay for the return as well as either a new replacement or a refund. I'd hate to go the refund route, because I 'd also have to send back the dual-n adapter that bundled with it but it works fine so I'd hate to have to send it back. :(
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

Well its been 6 days now without a disconnect (with my old Linksys 54GL) and the SB6121 cable modem has not had one log entry for errors. I think I can safely say that this router is a pooch. When the Rosewill is hooked up, the cable modem log is full of error notifications. I'd hazard a guess that the modem sends queries or info to the router that it expects acknowledgments back from but doesn't get, and then the router loses internet. The router still keeps connections to all my network devices, just not internet. I did notice that the Linksys router is set at "Gateway" as the only router in my network whereas the Rosewill doesn't offer that, perhaps that is where they are conflicting. I've seen indications from other complainers that it could be something to do with channel bonding errors in the Rosewill. I wish I knew more about this stuff. Oh well, the kids are in school Monday and won't need the internet so I'll test the Rosewill one more time then and see if I can deduce the problem.
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

After much searching and reading of threads (oh my aching head), I'm beginning to think that either the modem or the router is being overwhelmed with too many connections, (and yes, most are from P2P :oops: ). From what I can see by research if there are too many connections then ACK packs can't travel between the modem and router well, and if the modem is asking for confirmations and not getting them from the router then after so many failed attempts it will disconnect my internet, even though it still shows as "up" and using the same Dynamic IP address that it assigned earlier still and connected to my router when I call Charter tech support. What I can't figure out is if it is the modems downfall or the router's. I see that there is four downstream channels in my modem connection but only one upstream, so if that one upstream goes out of sync from too many connections wouldn't that mean that it isn't seeing the ACK packet replies from my router which keeps my internet connection up? Like I said earlier my network (both wired and wireless) stays in place so I can access my router homepage at any time, I just lose internet connection between the modem and the router. Sometimes my router sees my connection as "Static" instead of "Dynamic" and shows an address of 0.0.0.0 when I've lost internet. I have done temporary fixes by going into router and changing "Dynamic" to "Static" and manually typing in the last known IP address that Charter's DHCP server assigned to me and it will resume internet, but then hours later it loses it again even though I am not uploading or downloading any significant amounts (I get 4mb up/30+mb down, and am nowhere near maxing that when I get disconnected). Of course everytime I call Charter they just read off script and want me to do hard resets of my modem and router, which will assign me a new DHCP IP address through the modem but then that can also drop at random times. I do use a paranoid ipfilter in my torrent client so I'm wondering if all those queries are passing through my modem and router but then being blocked from the client leaves too many connections "hanging" and then being resent in an endless cycle that overwhelms the modem or router?

I was just talking to a Charter phone support tech and he told me that it is possible that my local Charter branch has the "UBEE" modem and if they have one in stock I can request it. Does anyone have any firsthand knowledge of this modem, and if so do you have a comparison to the SB6121 as far as reliability and compatibility goes? Thanks!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Kaos Kid wrote:After much searching and reading of threads (oh my aching head), I'm beginning to think that either the modem or the router is being overwhelmed with too many connections, (and yes, most are from P2P :oops: ). From what I can see by research if there are too many connections then ACK packs can't travel between the modem and router well, and if the modem is asking for confirmations and not getting them from the router then after so many failed attempts it will disconnect my internet, even though it still shows as "up" and using the same Dynamic IP address that it assigned earlier still and connected to my router when I call Charter tech support. What I can't figure out is if it is the modems downfall or the router's. I see that there is four downstream channels in my modem connection but only one upstream, so if that one upstream goes out of sync from too many connections wouldn't that mean that it isn't seeing the ACK packet replies from my router which keeps my internet connection up? Like I said earlier my network (both wired and wireless) stays in place so I can access my router homepage at any time, I just lose internet connection between the modem and the router. Sometimes my router sees my connection as "Static" instead of "Dynamic" and shows an address of 0.0.0.0 when I've lost internet. I have done temporary fixes by going into router and changing "Dynamic" to "Static" and manually typing in the last known IP address that Charter's DHCP server assigned to me and it will resume internet, but then hours later it loses it again even though I am not uploading or downloading any significant amounts (I get 4mb up/30+mb down, and am nowhere near maxing that when I get disconnected). Of course everytime I call Charter they just read off script and want me to do hard resets of my modem and router, which will assign me a new DHCP IP address through the modem but then that can also drop at random times. I do use a paranoid ipfilter in my torrent client so I'm wondering if all those queries are passing through my modem and router but then being blocked from the client leaves too many connections "hanging" and then being resent in an endless cycle that overwhelms the modem or router?

I was just talking to a Charter phone support tech and he told me that it is possible that my local Charter branch has the "UBEE" modem and if they have one in stock I can request it. Does anyone have any firsthand knowledge of this modem, and if so do you have a comparison to the SB6121 as far as reliability and compatibility goes? Thanks!
I'm running Dynamic, don't do P2P and everything is fine on Charter with a surfboard modem...
downstream.png
Just curious what happens when you don't do P2P for a week?
Follow Me on Twitter!
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

I don't know, I've been using it for years and would have major withdrawals without it--it is the only reason I have the Hi-speed plan :lol: . I do know that with my old Linksys 54GL I only got disconnected once in a week but then again it wasn't taking advantage of my full throughput potential on wireless anyway. Yesterday I did get into utorrent and changed the max peer connections to 300 Global/50 per torrent and it has been "up" with no errors in cable logs but looking in my router logs I see that it has disconnected then reconnected within a second's time span 3 or 4 times since last night so I guess that is progress. Now I will drop the max global to 250 and see if there is anymore disconnects/reconnects. It is looking more and more like the router, not the modem since the modem's log isn't showing any disruptions, only the router's. I will experiment with throttling the P2P and see if I can find a happy medium that still gives me my full download/upload potential without overwhelming the router. I guess I'm just expecting too much out of a $40 router :dunno:

Thanks for the fast input!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

wonder if charter is doing it to curb what you are doing
Follow Me on Twitter!
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

Apoptosis wrote:wonder if charter is doing it to curb what you are doing
You'd think it could be possible, they don't seem to be capping it though, if I d/l a large file from a big swarm I get full speeds, I don't really u/l my full potential when seeding though so that is probably where they are doing the throttling (they have to keep downloads max for people who stream netflix, hulu, etc. but most people don't upload a lot unless they are torrenting). I do try to randomly change my client port at least once per week, that entails changing it in utorrent, my firewall, and my router but it only takes 5 minutes so I figure better safe than sorry. Also I use an IPFilter that blocks 82% of the ipv4 internet so I figure I'm keeping out a LOT of the bad guys. Anyways, I will hold off another day or two on swapping out the modem just to see if P2P is indeed the culprit, and supposedly under the "Iron Egg" guarantee I have until Jan 31st if I decide I just can't live with the router. I do like it, I just wish I could upload an already compiled comprehensive ipfilter into the router firewall itself to block the bad IPs before the traffic even gets in so it wouldn't even have to keep unanswered requests loaded in memory waiting for a response, maybe once this router gets DD-WRT someone will add that functionality. One can only hope [-o<
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

you see 4x channels down& 1 ip as this is how cable dsl works. thats not the problem.
You've already found the issue.
it's p2p. each connection/peer uses up a "NAT Session" and you are exceeding it.
a lot of cheaper routers suffer from this.
they should have a hard limit which when hit, stops any new sessions until an old one expires or times out.
in your case the router runs out of resources.
setting a dmz on the cable modem for the router will free up resources on the modem.
on the router you could try increasing the key interval time in the wifi settings to free up ram or cpu. disabling the firewall or ddos prevention can help too.

the best option is the dmz and if you can, only run p2p on one pc which also is on a dmz from the router.
This way nat is almost a non issue.
ohh and changing it in uTorrent will asl help
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

Thanks Ken for your input! I only run torrent on one PC so that isn't a problem. I use an SB6121 cable modem that Charter furnished to me for free (can't argue with free), so I can't change any settings in it. However in my L600N router settings I do see a setting for a DMZ, it is off by default so I've never used it. Not sure what you mean by "key interval" so I'll look for a setting for that as well, I do see a setting for "DHCP lease time" that has a range of 1>160 hours which is set at 24 hours, is that what you mean? Disabling the router firewall (I assume you mean setting NAT filtering to "Open") and disabling DoS settings sounds a bit too scary so I'll have to think on those, even though Comodo Internet Security seems to do a good job as a software firewall.

This is in the remarks section of the settings page concerning DMZ server:
Specifying a Default DMZ Server allows you to set up a computer or server that is available to anyone on the Internet for services that you haven't defined. There are security issues with doing this, so only do this if you're willing to risk open access. If you do not assign a Default DMZ Server, the router discards any incoming service requests which are undefined.
That sort of scares me as well, although I guess I would only put in the LAN address of the PC that I run torrents on, correct? I wonder if I should move torrents over to my dedicated HTPC box since now I run torrents on the same PC that me and my wife share to surf on. What does having a DMZ server do in terms of relaxing security on that particular PC? Sorry for the noob questions, I just never had to worry about networking and overloading my WRT54GL, it was always able to handle the torrent traffic but then again I had a slower 20Mb down/2Mb up package so perhaps it just wasn't taxing it as much. Also I remember the WRT54GL being more expensive when I bought it years ago so I guess it was considered a mid-to-top end router at that time (newegg was still selling them for around $50 as late as a month ago even though they are about 5 years old :lol: )
L600N Router security settings.jpg
L600N Router security settings.jpg (50.85 KiB) Viewed 14025 times
According to these specs the router has 8Mb Flash/ 32Mb SDRAM so I'm guessing there must be a lot of NAT sessions coming through to fill up that much memory, eh?
Attachments
L600N Router specs.jpg
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

key interval should be under wireless settings. its how often the security key is changed between the wireless client and the router. its not the wpa key, that's just used to join the network. increasing the time reduces load. security isnt a problem as wpa can only be cracked using brute force. so your wpa key is the weakest link.

no one is going to ddos you. Your are only slightly vulnerable to people near you. Your isp and other isps will notice and block it way before you feel it. ddos is very "noisy"

dmz on the router a security risk and I should have mentioned that its for testing. comodo f/w would still keep you safe.
dmz on the modem to the router is safe, but you can't change that.

nat set to open is the same as turning off the router firewall. you still get protection. its not like the movies where people can just hack you with no firewall. those days are long gone. its all done via your browser and or email now.

32mb of ram is good for a router, if the firmware is good and is efficient with it. you can have bugs in the firmware which can also reduce performance.
my
my old cable modem had these issues and I used to use a wrt54gl on a dmz to get around it.

the trick is to limit nat sessions. reduce the number of peers in uTorrent and only use one pc for torrents at time.
you should test with reducing the number of peers by ~25 @ a time.
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

There is nothing labelled "key interval" anywhere in the routers settings, although I think I remember there being that listing in my WRT54GLs configs. There is only "DHCP lease" of 1>160 hours, and either long or short "preambles". If it isn't either/any of those, is it possible that the key interval is automatically maintained by this particular router?

I have set the connections to 250 global/25 per torrent and haven't had a disconnect in 5 hours (not even for a second) so I will leave it at that overnight and if there is no disconnects I will raise it in small increments until I see signs of strain then back off to the last setting. Thanks again for the info.
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

OK, I went to bed early last night, this is what I found in the router log this morning.
2013-01-18 08:34:10 [5] syslog: [AUTH] 192.168.1.3 login success
2013-01-18 08:33:59 [5] syslog: [AUTH] Not found session 65b194a, user login check failed
2013-01-18 07:22:17 [5] syslog: [DHCP] Dhcp assign 192.168.1.3 to [Wireless Adapter MAC address]
2013-01-18 05:19:22 [5] syslog: [SNTP] SNTP sync success.
2013-01-18 05:19:21 [5] syslog: [SNTP] SNTP Initialized.
2013-01-18 05:19:21 [5] syslog: [IPCONN] Wan[DHCP] Link was Connected, Run Cmd: ifconfig eth0 XX:XXX:XX:XXX netmask 255.255.248.0 mtu 1500 .
2013-01-18 05:19:21 [5] syslog: [IPCONN] Wan[DHCP] Link was Disconnected
2013-01-17 21:19:24 [5] syslog: [SNTP] SNTP sync success.
2013-01-17 21:19:24 [5] syslog: [SNTP] SNTP Initialized.
2013-01-17 21:19:23 [5] syslog: [IPCONN] Wan[DHCP] Link was Connected, Run Cmd: ifconfig eth0 XX:XXX:XX:XXX netmask 255.255.248.0 mtu 1500 .
2013-01-17 21:19:23 [5] syslog: [IPCONN] Wan[DHCP] Link was Disconnected
2013-01-17 21:01:27 [5] syslog: [DHCP] Dhcp assign 192.168.1.2 to [Hardwired Computer MAC address]
My utorrent was set to 250global/25per and as you can see I only had 4 files seeding. The 4 swarms I was connected to were miniscule, and I had only uploaded about 8MB all nite long so why these few connections would have overwhelmed my router so it would disconnect I have no idea. I still have a suspicion that my ISP is monitoring packets and when they see torrent activity they intentionally put a hiccup in your connection to try to disconnect you long enough to have to manually reset. Conspiracy theory? Maybe. Possible? SURE! Charter has been blaming the router the whole time, and if it is indeed the router it is REALLY a weaksauce piece of hardware... :evil:
Attachments
Swarm info.jpg
Swarm info.jpg (6.75 KiB) Viewed 14003 times