AMD FirePro W5000 Professional Graphics Card Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

AMD says the FirePro W5000 is the most powerful midrange workstation graphics card ever created. For example, it has the ability to process up to 1.65 billion triangles per second, allowing a designer to easily interact and render 3D models, while the competing solution is only able to process up to 0.41 billion triangles per second (up to 4 times less). Read on to see how this sub $450 professional graphics card does in some benchmarks!

Priced at $448 shipped, the W5000 is a card that comes with the support and certification for the applications professionals use without the high price tag of the more powerful cards in the FirePro lineup. The W5000 packs 768 Stream processors with an engine clock of 825MHz. The 2GB of GDDR5 memory comes clocked at 800MHz on a 256-bit bus, offering 102.4GB/s of memory bandwidth.
Article Title: AMD FirePro W5000 Professional Graphics Card Review
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/2070/1/
Pricing At Time of Print: $448 Shipped
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
OCEAN11
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Re: AMD FirePro W5000 Professional Graphics Card Review

Post by OCEAN11 »

Hello, My First Post here,
Excellent review of the W5000, I was looking for some reviews of this card, but have 1 question:

I'm currently building a new high-end workstation for doing cad-design using Solidworks, & Pro Engineer, also using CNC Programming software like Mastercam, and Surfcam ( bacsically exact to your test system! ) that needs a professional type of video card rather than a gaming card, which brings me to my question:

Why was the W5000 card tested against a Radon 7970 series card, when these are totally different by type / comparison, rather than using the same cards in the same family between AMD and NVidia, like the AMD FirePro V4900 & V7900 vs NVidia Quadro 2000, and 4000? Just wondering as I'm trying to decide to buy the W5000, but want to know how it does between the card it replaced the V4900, and against its next rival the V7900, and cross reference the competition with nvidia's 2000 and 4000. Thanks!
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: AMD FirePro W5000 Professional Graphics Card Review

Post by bubba »

I have run all those on mainstream cards. I'm running currently Inventor with a GTX260.

In my experience, where workstation cards pull ahead from desktop cards is in massive assemblies. If you're working on single parts and cnc programming desktop cards work fine.

as for what he compared the card too, if I had to guess, its what he had handy. Dont think we get sent workstation cards all the time.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson