Netgear WNDR3700v4 N600 Wireless Gigabit Router Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Netgear WNDR3700v4 N600 Wireless Gigabit Router Review

Post by Apoptosis »

Netgear WNDR3700v4 N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router Review

Today, we take a look at Netgear’s latest N600 Wireless Dual-Band Gigabit router. This is the fourth version of the popular WNDR3700 features a faster chip, and more RAM than any of the previous versions. Read on to see how this router stacks up against its N600 competition.

When we first received the latest N600 router from Netgear, the first thing I said to myself was, “Why did Netgear send us an old router?” I then came to my senses and realized it was more than just a recycled name – this release of the fourth-generation WNDR3700 was truly different. Starting with the upgraded chipset, the Netgear WNDR3700v4 has been updated with one of the most proficient CPUs on the market. The 560 MHz/128 MB RAM Qualcomm Atheros AR9344 is a significant step up from the Broadcom’s 480 MHz chip found in version 3 of the Netgear N600 router. The result is a faster user experience while configuring the router as well as incredible Wi-Fi speeds...
Article Title: Netgear WNDR3700v4 N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router Review
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/2166/1/
Pricing At Time of Print: $99.99 Shipped
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Netgear WNDR3700v4 N600 Wireless Gigabit Router Review

Post by Kaos Kid »

Nice! I'd be afraid to purchase just yet though considering you can't tell them apart. Even the Amazon link provided doesn't tell you which version, and since they have almost 1200 customer reviews listed you have to think that Amazon isn't differentiating them either. I have been leaning towards the DIR-850L for the 802.11ac capabilities, but this v4 looks promising. I'd be too afraid to pull the trigger just yet until there are more reviews on the DIR-850L, and/or there is some way to assure that when you order the WNDR3700v4 that you are really getting v4 and not the earlier version.
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
Digital Puppy

Post by Digital Puppy »

Kaos Kid wrote:Nice! I'd be afraid to purchase just yet though considering you can't tell them apart. Even the Amazon link provided doesn't tell you which version, and since they have almost 1200 customer reviews listed you have to think that Amazon isn't differentiating them either. I have been leaning towards the DIR-850L for the 802.11ac capabilities, but this v4 looks promising. I'd be too afraid to pull the trigger just yet until there are more reviews on the DIR-850L, and/or there is some way to assure that when you order the WNDR3700v4 that you are really getting v4 and not the earlier version.
I need to check out D-Link's AC offering, but this N600 is a long way from the 850L. The WNDR3700v4 is $30 cheaper but definitely lacks performance on paper when compared to AC routers.
Just a little puppy trying to make it in a big digital world.
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

Yes. I think the reason I've been holding off is to see some consumer reviews on the DIR-850L, I've seen some less than glowing reviews on Newegg for the the DIR-865L and don't know if they will translate to the 850L considering they look different and the 865L was an earlier release. I just don't want to get caught in "beta-testing" for my next one like I did for the Rosewill nightmare I just had. I went back to my WRT54GL (still stock firmware) and although it has slower wireless speeds it is NOT dropping connections.

BTW Newegg is supposed to refund me for the Rosewill since I got a lemon the second time too, that is getting sent back this weekend. Since they are doing the right thing, I will order my next case and my next router (hopefully the DIR-850L) from Newegg but I gotta hope that I don't get a lemon with that one too because I don't want to lose credibility with Newegg as someone who returns items indiscriminately. I've had a pretty good relationship with them up to this point. I have the money all loaded into my paypal account ready to pull the trigger, just have to have a reliable target to aim at ;)
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
Digital Puppy

Post by Digital Puppy »

Okay, so I feel really stupid. The biggest issue I had with this router is that I was too dumb to read the box carefully. The version number is clearly marked as you can see below.
UPDATE: So, if we had opened our eyes just a bit wider, we would have noticed the very big label indicating the version number in plain English on the side of the box. Apologies for this oversight!

Netgear WNDR3700 Version 4.png
Netgear WNDR3700 Version 4.png (37.58 KiB) Viewed 9833 times
Just a little puppy trying to make it in a big digital world.
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

After looking more closely at the Amazon ad, I just found out that the Amazon link is for v3, not v4. Newegg's are also v3.
waliu
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by waliu »

Kaos Kid wrote:After looking more closely at the Amazon ad, I just found out that the Amazon link is for v3, not v4. Newegg's are also v3.
Hi. I am very confused!!! Where can I order Version 4 ??? I can't find it anywhere in the world.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

All of the new WNDR3700 routers are v4 models, so when you go to a retail store you can look at the box label or the device label itself and it will show that is it the 4th revision.

I think Amazon is shipping v4's last I heard. If you go to the store you are looking for the v4 at the end of the model number on the label:

Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

You may have to call the vendor of your choice (Newegg, Frys, Amazon, etc.) and have their customer support physically check what version is in stock. By now they could have the newer version but still using the stock v3 photo (an easy oversight). I only saw the version numbers at the time by scouring the images and enlarging them to a size I could read easily. If a vendor still has an earlier version they will probably rotate it out to send to you unless you have a customer support person tag your order with a specific request for the later version.