Vantec NexStar WiFi Hard Drive Dock Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

There's a lot of hard drive docks available but few have wireless capabilities like the Ventec NexStar dock. This means expansive storage for virtually any device capable of wi-fi access. Even better, Vantec has apps for both the iOS and Android platforms making expanding storage for smart phones and tablets a snap. Have a look to see what our overall impressions were.

Using the Vantec NexStar WiFi dock is not much different than any other external dock when wired. Simply plug it into the USB 3.0 connector and the drive shows up just like a flash drive would. Access speeds through USB 3.0 is bottle-necked by the USB interface but still speedy as compared to USB 2.0. We used a 3Gbps Crucial M500 SSD in our test to make sure the drive wasn't the limiting factor. We hit 422MB/s read and 402MB/s write speeds with this docking station and SSD combination. Wireless performance will vary widely depending on the connection type, signal strength and paired hardware.
Article Title: Vantec NexStar WiFi Hard Drive Dock Review
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/2178/1/
Pricing At Time of Print: $29.39 For the Wired Version
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Vantec NexStar WiFi Hard Drive Dock Review

Post by Kaos Kid »

Curiously, Newegg has this listed as a discontinued item.
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Newegg often does that when an item goes out of stock for a long duration.

I contacted Vantec USA and they had this to share:
Yes it is an active item and it will be shipping to our customers in the first week of June. Newegg will reactive item once they receive inventory.

On a side note, the actual model that you reviewed will not be sold in the states. We will be shipping the NST-D306WS3 which is an upgrade to support SATA III 6 Gb/s.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

Apoptosis wrote:Newegg often does that when an item goes out of stock for a long duration.

I contacted Vantec USA and they had this to share:
Yes it is an active item and it will be shipping to our customers in the first week of June. Newegg will reactive item once they receive inventory.

On a side note, the actual model that you reviewed will not be sold in the states. We will be shipping the NST-D306WS3 which is an upgrade to support SATA III 6 Gb/s.
Excellent! SATAIII will make this a heckuva product to have.
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Excellent! SATAIII will make this a heckuva product to have.
I agree. Every review I've read about this product has nothing but good things to say.
gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gwolfman »

What's this tethering feature they mention and how does it work? The video made it sound like the dock is functioning as an AP so you have to switch between your existing, internet-connected AP and this one. Do they mean that the dock connects to my existing AP and then anything already connected can access the drive?