Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB SSD RAID 0 Performance

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Most find the speed of a single SSD to be plenty for their needs but there are some whose expectations go a little higher. For those, a pair of Corsair Neutron GTX drives in a RAID 0 array is probably more what they have in mind. We throw a couple on our test bench to see just how fast we can push them. Have a look at the article to see the results!

As expected, pairing a couple of drives like the Neutron GTX's which already put up superb performance numbers singularly, really kicks up performance to a whole new level. In fact, in most of our tests, the throughputs nearly doubled from what we saw on a single drive. With the LAMD controller, we barely saw any difference between compressible and incompressible data which translates to a more even real world experience...

Article Title: Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB SSD RAID 0 Performance @ Legit Reviews
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/2225/1/
Pricing At Time of Print: $219.99 Shipped (each)
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB SSD RAID 0 Performance

Post by sbohdan »

How about TRIM? Does it work in RAID0?

The problem with my RAID0 setup is that TRIM doesn't work with my Vertex4's ](*,)
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

TRIM does work but AFAIK you need to be running Intel RST 11.0 or newer and have a 7 or 8 series chipset motherboard.
Joe
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

sbohdan wrote:How about TRIM? Does it work in RAID0?

The problem with my RAID0 setup is that TRIM doesn't work with my Vertex4's ](*,)
I checked directly with Corsair and they had this to say:
Yes, I checked with ENG and we have no reported issues.
So, like Joe stated... On a TRIM supporting platform with the right software... These drives support TRIM!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Bhench
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by Bhench »

Joe,

That performance is amazing for the benchmarks. Wondering if you noticed a big improvement in Win 8 running on this RAID or if it is total overkill for boot drive?

Bill
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

IMO overkill for general Windows usage given the extra expense and doubling of drive failure.
Joe
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Bhench wrote:Joe,

That performance is amazing for the benchmarks. Wondering if you noticed a big improvement in Win 8 running on this RAID or if it is total overkill for boot drive?

Bill
Can you ever have overkill? :)
Follow Me on Twitter!
Bhench
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by Bhench »

Hey I am a BIG fan of overkill as long as it produces some results. Like I laugh when I see water coolers put eight 480 mm rads to cool a single CPU. But raid 0 SSD for boot drive could actually improve boot / load / run performance assuming the 500 mb transfer speed IS a bottle neck. Basically is it worth doing this or is it just e-peen.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Bhench wrote:Hey I am a BIG fan of overkill as long as it produces some results. Like I laugh when I see water coolers put eight 480 mm rads to cool a single CPU. But raid 0 SSD for boot drive could actually improve boot / load / run performance assuming the 500 mb transfer speed IS a bottle neck. Basically is it worth doing this or is it just e-peen.
Personally... I've had some RAID 0 hard drives arrays go out on me and lost some data that made me swear I'd never run RAID 0 on my main system. That said, my luck with SSD failures is just as good, so a RAID 0 setup isn't for me. Can you tell a difference between 1 and 2 SSDs on a day-to-day basis... Yes, you'll see boot, load and run performance increased.
Follow Me on Twitter!
Bhench
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by Bhench »

Ok so 4 of these in a Raid 0+1 FTW!!! What bank account?
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Boot performance, maybe a second or two savings at most. Based on all the boot tests I've done, I think there are other bottlenecks besides the drive(s). Most app load times will be imperceptible as well except for things like Photoshop with a ton of add-ons, game level loading, etc. but even then it won't be a super big difference. I'm not a fan of RAID 0 either
Joe