Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD Review

Post by Apoptosis »

Samsung has boldly inserted themselves into the forefront of the consumer SSD market with apparent ease thanks to some innovation and a few outstanding drives. Just a few years ago, no one would have even mentioned their name in the same sentence with 'SSD' but now they are very much on the minds of consumers. Just taking a stroll through several computer hardware oriented online communities reveals a lot of positive chatter about the drives which come largely driven from online reviews and word of mouth recommendations as Samsung hasn't done a ton of marketing for their drives. Or maybe it just doesn't feel that way. Competitors, on the other hand, may have a different perception and have to be feeling the pressure. Especially those that are reliant on others for components for their builds whereas Samsung is completely self sufficient and can offer lower costs to consumers while still retaining a decent margin. We've recently had looks at the 840 and 840 Pro series of drives and now we've gotten our mitts on the 840 EVO version.

Article Title: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD Review
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/?p=120327
Pricing At Time of Print: $369.99 Shipped
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD Review

Post by Kaos Kid »

Well durn I've been watching the sales and thought I had it narrowed down to a budget Kingston v300 or a Corsair Neutron GTX (only for OS, either 120GB or 240GB, can't decide) but a Samsung EVO looks promising too. I guess I'll see who wants to discount which drive the most over Labor Day :P .
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
Computer Ed
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Computer Ed »

Solid review, have a question for you guys on the EVO. I have read in a couple of forums that the EVO has some serious performance issues when used with AMD based systems. One post even mentioned that this issue is well known. I was wondering if you guys could test the EVO in an FM2 and AM3+ platform to see if there are issues with the AMD platform?
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hmmm that would be of utmost importance to me as I would be using it in an AM3 setup with an 890 board. Any insight you can give us on that issue would be greatly appreciated!
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
ComputerEd
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by ComputerEd »

No follow up on this question?