Intel NUC Kit At PAX Prime w/ Haswell CPU Inside

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Intel NUC Kit At PAX Prime w/ Haswell CPU Inside

Post by Apoptosis »

Have you been waiting for the Intel Haswell NUC units to show up? Intel has tons of good stuff on display at PAX Prime this year and one of the more interesting things on display was the upcoming 'Haswell' versions of the NUC that aren't out yet. We ran across these in the Intel BYOC gaming area at the show and we got right to gaming on these new bad boys.

Article Title: Intel NUC Kit D54250WYK Spotted At PAX Prime w/ Haswell CPU Inside
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-nuc-k ... ide_122531
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
DesktopMan
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Re: Intel NUC Kit At PAX Prime w/ Haswell CPU Inside

Post by DesktopMan »

Intel is considering making an Iris Pro version and if that ever comes to market it will need a larger power adapter.

Even if they did include a way to mount a drive in this chassis, they don’t have a way to power it. The 65W power adapter that comes with the NUC Kit is nearly maxed out as it is and adding more devices isn’t really an option. What do you do for that?
I really doubt either of these two statements are true. A 15w SOC based computer is certainly not maxing out a 65w power supply, even if it is inefficient. The rest of the components add up to 10-15w max, if that.

Same with the Iris version, another 13w should not be a problem.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Intel NUC Kit At PAX Prime w/ Haswell CPU Inside

Post by Apoptosis »

That is what Intel told me. The original NUC pulled about 30W from the wall - http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-nuc-d ... s-8_2083/6

Maybe Intel is using a worst case scenario model with the highest power devices plugged into everything. Usually Intel is conservative, but we'll figure it out soon enough!
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!