Intel NUC Kit D54250WYK Overclocking

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Intel NUC Kit D54250WYK Overclocking

Post by Apoptosis »

We’ve spent pretty much all our free time this week using the Intel NUC Kit D54250WYK and if you couldn’t tell from our review, we love the new design and the Intel 4th Generation Core i5-4250U Haswell processor that powers it. In our review we showed you the general performance of the system running at stock speeds. The one question that we didn’t answer at that time is how it performs when overclocked. There aren’t too many things that you can overclock on the NUC since the CPU multiplier and bus speeds are locked down, but we can overclock the DDR3 memory. In the past overclocking the memory clock frequency has yielded some pretty good results for memory bandwidth limited applications and gaming benchmarks. Read on to see how the Intel NUC Kit D54250WYK performs with 1866MHz memory!

Article Title: Intel NUC Kit D54250WYK Overclocking
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-nuc-k ... ing_124444
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
INeedAFnSuffix
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Re: Intel NUC Kit D54250WYK Overclocking

Post by INeedAFnSuffix »

Overclocking a NUC ... Pure genius.
It's pointless O:)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Oh, some people care :)

Heck, Intel is coming out with Intel SSD Overclocking soon! Everyone would like to be able to bump up the speeds a bit. This article was to show the difference between 1866Mhz and 1600MHz DDR3L memory kits. Lots of people will have to go buy new DDR3 low power memory kits for the Haswell NUC's.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
smalitro
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by smalitro »

I agree it is not pointless. getting a few percent power boost may be worth the premium for faster RAM.

But for uss all extremly low power consumption users id would be realy nice - i dont know if I ask to much - to know the power impact of the faster ram and in reverse the performance impact of only using one Ram module. As you were so kind to test in your other review it is possible to drop the power requirements even further only using one module. It may or may not be be an interesting trade of.

Thanks as always for this great review.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

I would be upset if I spent a bunch of money on a NUC and some good RAM to find that it wouldn't boot. After dealing with an Intel board right now I know for a fact their BIOS engineers are pure CRAP. Another reason to pickup the Gigabyte Brix. Hell with the Brix, Gigabyte might have left the option open in the BIOS to play with the Turbo Boost. Then you can do the old(ish) trick of maxing out the Turbo Boost for all the cores and get a marginal "overclock".
crossblade
Legit User
Legit User

Post by crossblade »

I Agree this situation would be really frustrating, but that is what these reviews are useful for. You can establish what hardware will work before.

But I personally will stick with intel because – in my experience – if you get it to work, it will be rock solid. No sudden instabilities after 2 years . and the great hardware like Intel NICs (no realtek) and simpy a no fuss approach were you don’t have anny bling but the hardware you need. This is sole a personal opinion but intel hardware failed to disappoint me up until now. :supz:
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

I can almost 100% guarantee you that Foxconn made the motherboard in the NUC for Intel. From my personal results Gigbyte has been rock solid, going back to a Gigabyte KT133 board that refused to die after years of me tinkering with it. I threw it out earlier this year and it was still in perfect working order.
Faiakes
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Faiakes »

Hi

Using 2*4GB 1866 RAM (F3-1866C10D-8GRSL) the whole thing has random BSODs.
By removing one stick, it becomes stable again (but what's the point then?).

Has anyone else had instability issues with 1866 RAM?