Netgear Nighthawk R7000 AC1900 Wireless Router Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Netgear Nighthawk R7000 AC1900 Wireless Router Review

Post by Apoptosis »

Today we look at Netgear’s flagship dual-band router, the Nighthawk R7000. Legit Reviews has been evaluating Wireless-AC devices for a number of years and has put off upgrading from a the original Netgear R6300 V1 router. While not the absolute fastest, nor the most customizable, the Netgear R6300 V1 has been a fairly reliable device that has never let us down with wireless drops. The Netgear R6300 V1 has been around for a number of years and has been surpassed by the R6300 V2 and the Nighthawk R7000. The Netgear Nighthawk R7000 is said to make a huge step forward in performance and thus our interest in evaluating the device today.

Article Title: Netgear Nighthawk R7000 AC1900 Wireless Router Review
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/netgear-nig ... iew_137796
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
sgkean
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Re: Netgear Nighthawk R7000 AC1900 Wireless Router Review

Post by sgkean »

Thanks, this is one of the three AC routers I've been looking at, and been leaning towards the Nighthawk :)
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

I may have to look this one up. I have steered clear of Netgear for anything but business' due to the setups but this looks simple for home use without having to tinker with ever little control to get the best performance.

I have the Linksys E4200 right now and the 5ghz signal barely makes it 1 floor down, right underneath where the router is! Now the 2.4ghz does ok but is so darn slow it is measured in speeds of about 1mbps lol

What would be some good laptop cards to use with this router?

Side question - anyone know if there is a way to upgrade the PS3 wifi to AC?
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

KnightRid wrote: Side question - anyone know if there is a way to upgrade the PS3 wifi to AC?
Look for a wireless ac Bridge, something like this
http://www.linksys.com/en-eu/products/bridges/WUMC710
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

KnightRid wrote:What would be some good laptop cards to use with this router?
Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DMC ... irevi03-20

http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-7260h ... 11n_135541
Follow Me on Twitter!
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Apoptosis wrote:
KnightRid wrote:What would be some good laptop cards to use with this router?
Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DMC ... irevi03-20

http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-7260h ... 11n_135541
Been looking at that one but still hoping someone brings a 3x3 out (any hints Nate? With your connections maybe you can pry some info out for me/us :) )

That Killer Nic one in the Alienware used in the review seems like a, well, killer nic. I have never seen N speeds get anywhere close to that mark. Maybe its my router or the cards in the laptops/tablets/cell phones. Haven't seen the killer nic for sale other than inside laptops though.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

KnightRid wrote: Been looking at that one but still hoping someone brings a 3x3 out (any hints Nate? With your connections maybe you can pry some info out for me/us :) )

That Killer Nic one in the Alienware used in the review seems like a, well, killer nic. I have never seen N speeds get anywhere close to that mark. Maybe its my router or the cards in the laptops/tablets/cell phones. Haven't seen the killer nic for sale other than inside laptops though.
Do you have a have a laptop or desktop with three antennas run in it? Nothing I own has three antennas run, so it isn't of interest to me and it isn't that easy to add one to an Ultrabook or something.
Follow Me on Twitter!
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Apoptosis wrote:
KnightRid wrote: Been looking at that one but still hoping someone brings a 3x3 out (any hints Nate? With your connections maybe you can pry some info out for me/us :) )

Do you have a have a laptop or desktop with three antennas run in it? Nothing I own has three antennas run, so it isn't of interest to me and it isn't that easy to add one to an Ultrabook or something.
I have an extra wire laying in the wireless card compartment in my Dell Studio XPS - its 2years+ old now so maybe I am seeing a wire for something else but there is an extra one in there that has the little gold bubble push in connector thingy on the end.

I will take it apart again and make sure.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Ah, you prolly do then... The only notebooks I've personally seen three in are some of the Dell/Alienware models!
Follow Me on Twitter!
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Well my lazy ass finally opened up the laptop and saw this...
20140331_110358.jpg
3x3 :) Wonder why they are not used more often. You would think the 3rd antenna would give better reception.