Possible signs of HDD dying :(

Hard Drives, Optical Drives, USB keys, Flash memory. Need help with or have experiences with a storage device? Share it in here!
DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Possible signs of HDD dying :(

Post by DJ Tucker »

so my primary 500gb HDD is possibly on its way out but I'm not sure. I have 65% of the space on it used. while the sequential read (65mb) and write (56mb) are not bad for a 6 year old spin drive its the other test speeds I'm worried about.
512KB Read (26mb) Write (35mb)
Random 4KB Read (350KB) Write (1.1mb)
Random Read QD=32 Read (870KB) Write (1.1KB)
Are these speeds considered low as my boot times have increased by 15-20 seconds as of recently and only 0.56% of my HDD is fragmented and does not need defragging? I have not installed or uninstalled anything recently either.
MSI Z590 Gaming Edge Wifi
Core i7 10700KF 5Ghz @ 1.25v With Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super 1980Mhz @ 0.925v With TechN GPU Block
32Gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600Mhz 16-18-18-38
Aqua Computer Ultitube 200 Pro D5 Next
Corsair XR5 240mm x2 & 360mm
Intel 670p 2Tb & WD Blue M.2 2Tb
Corsair HX1000i
Philips Momentum 3000 24" (Main) & MSI Optix G241V E2 (Second)
Lian Li O11D
Roccat Vulcan 120 Aimo, Roccat Kone Aimo Remastered and Roccat Sym Pro Air
KnightRid

Re: Possible signs of HDD dying :(

Post by KnightRid »

I never go by read/write times as they can vary drastically depending on whats running, etc.

Read the SMART data from the HD - tons of programs to do it. I think Speedfan has that built in.

Check the drive for errors - may take a LONG time.

run ccleaner to remove all unneeded files (temp, internet temp, etc etc).

run ccleaner and check the registry - make sure you save a backup before fixing all though.

of course run a virus scanner and malwarebytes to make sure nothing is using the drive/computer for other tasks.

All I can think of at this time. For less than $100 I think I would just replace it or at least get a drive to keep a complete image on incase that drive does die.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

Download the App Hard Disc Sentinel and it will show you EXACTLY everything about your HDD. It will tell you if the drive is dying or not and also how much it has left in it.
Link: http://download.cnet.com/Hard-Disk-Sent ... 66403.html
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DJ Tucker »

now that's a great piece of software you found sbohdan. seems my drive is all well in fact 100%. it seems the speed errors I was getting was due to my boot defrag having been disabled. can't believe 6 years later this HDD is still in fairly good working order :)
MSI Z590 Gaming Edge Wifi
Core i7 10700KF 5Ghz @ 1.25v With Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super 1980Mhz @ 0.925v With TechN GPU Block
32Gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600Mhz 16-18-18-38
Aqua Computer Ultitube 200 Pro D5 Next
Corsair XR5 240mm x2 & 360mm
Intel 670p 2Tb & WD Blue M.2 2Tb
Corsair HX1000i
Philips Momentum 3000 24" (Main) & MSI Optix G241V E2 (Second)
Lian Li O11D
Roccat Vulcan 120 Aimo, Roccat Kone Aimo Remastered and Roccat Sym Pro Air
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

never run a speed test if you thing your drive is failing... You made me shudder on that one! Never stress something that you think it going out!

Like everyone here said check the SMART data and download something like CrystalDiskInfo that can read that info for you and it will tell you if it is okay (green), caution (yellow) or bad (red) in the application.

Not sure if it is the Samsung drive in your signiture, but most hard drive makers have their own apps. For example WD has the Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows utility. Besides reading the SMART status you can do any of the following options:

QUICK TEST - performs SMART drive quick self-test to gather and verify the Data Lifeguard information contained on the drive.
EXTENDED TEST - performs a Full Media Scan to detect bad sectors. Test may take several hours to complete depending on the size of the drive.
WRITE ZEROS - writes zeros to the drive with options of Full Erase and Quick Erase. File system and data will be lost.
VIEW TEST RESULT - displays the latest test results.

It's a pretty nifty utility and if you have a bad sector on the drive you can write zeros to the drive and it might be able to correct the error.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

DJ Tucker wrote:now that's a great piece of software you found sbohdan. seems my drive is all well in fact 100%. it seems the speed errors I was getting was due to my boot defrag having been disabled. can't believe 6 years later this HDD is still in fairly good working order :)
You welcome :)
This is a Hungarian software and I assumed you guys don't know about it. I found it best out of all other ones though, that's why I recommended it.
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=