Who is upgrading to Windows 10 today

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
sgkean
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Who is upgrading to Windows 10 today

Post by sgkean »

Got Windows 10 installed on two tablets, laptop and one of my test desktops. I haven't put it on my gaming desktop yet though, got a few things to finish up before I do that one :) Hope to have all my personal systems onto Win10 Pro by tonight.

Then of course I get the fun of doing the wife's laptop...that'll be fun I'm sure LOL
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: Who is upgrading to Windows 10 today

Post by bubba »

Not today.

Will be building a box to test stuff for work on. If I like what I see, then will look at updating the PC's at home.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Oh hell no. I told everyone I know that if you have windows 8.1 to upgrade immediately due to the craptastic nature of that version but with Windows 7, I may never go to 10. I will wait and try it out in a VM or a separate laptop to see if it is as functional as Windows 7 and doesnt make you use apps, big ugly boxes/live tiles, etc. Also a bit worried about the updates being forced on you, but like I said, I will have to check the final build out and I am in no hurry since Windows 7 is actually better for me than Windows NT or XP were.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Run the pro version and you can have updates be "deferred" up to 6 months.

From every video I have seen of the revamped UI its going to be fine.

Apps thing, that's just the way its going for most things.

I dont care about the Xbone integration, think it stupid actually since it hijacks the Xbox control and the TV its attached to if you are using the HDMI pass through feature. Don't care for WiFi Sense (the password sharing via wifi) being turned on by default.

Things I am happy about are the short cuts added when you right click the start button, and the removal of the forced tiles. Start menu itself not a big issue for me because I don't use it (other than to hit control panel stuff), have everything I want pinned to the taskbar.

I am more worried about older software my work runs not playing nicely with it. Another 5 years Win 7 will go way of XP..sadly. That and some older software was written to specifically look for IE, that could be interesting now that its gone.

As the one who deals with my works website, not to keen on having to now throw yet another !@#$% browser into the mix for "hey whats it look like here, nope didn't render right"
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

No way Jose! I did not "downgrade" to win8 and will not to win10 unless nothing will work anymore on win7! The forced updates are a dealbreaker to me by themselves. :vom:
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
stopthekilling77
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stopthekilling77 »

I have to admit I'm tempted to install 10 on my box, however I have to nail down the cause of an intermittent BSOD first. 7 has done me right for the past few years, but I always want to play with the latest OS. Reserved upgrades for 10 are good til next year, so I'm in no huge rush. I just wish I could afford to start swapping parts out of my rig to figure out what's up. It's neither here nor there, but I remember when Vista launched and people were complaining left and right about it. Most of the complaints and issues people had were addressed with SP1, so I may just take that as my cue to wait for some major updates for 10 before diving in.
Cyberpower generic case
B450M PRO-VDH MAX
Ryzen 5 3600 w/PBO/OC
CM Hyper 212 EVO push/pull
Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
MSI RTX 3060 Ti Ventus 3X 8G OC LHR
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
6GB Seagate HDD
EVGA 650BQ 650W PSU
ASUS VE278 27" monitor, Dell E2216HV (vertical)
Logitech Z533 2.1 Speakers, G935 7.1 or G435 headset
MS LXM-00001 keyboard
Razer Deathadder Elite, XBOX One Lunar Shift controller

I've come a long way from my original Core2Duo E6750 build y'all! :supz:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Not yet on my own machines! I'm a big fan of clean installs though.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

Haven't had any issues with it so far. Been pretty much problem free on the 3 upgrades I've done. Only hiccup was my HP TouchSmart laptop..the intel video driver will crash and recover if the system is brought back from sleep mode but that's the only issue with it. Half expected since HP only supplies Win7 drivers for the darn thing.
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
sgkean
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by sgkean »

There are some annoyances with Win 10 I've found, and I only do clean installs for my systems.

Privacy stuff turned on by default - nothing really new here, everybody is collecting that data, whether you like it or not. Quick and easy to turn it off if you don't like it
Forced updates - for those of us that are smart enough to look at updates, that's annoying, but can be disabled/deferred. for average people, it's a good thing
App Functionality - if your app was built for Win 7, shouldn't be an issue for Win 10. If your app was built for Win 95, then you might have issues.
Live Tiles - easy to close those and make it look pretty close to a normal start menu
Xbox One Integrate - don't have an xbox so I can care less
Wireless Pass Sharing - Don't care for this, and disabled it immediately. Just because we're friends on social media, doesn't mean I want you to have access to my wireless pass :P
Switching App Prompts is highly annoying. Click on a link from a PDF, a Tor link from browser and it asks "Are you sure you want to switch applications" all the time...haven't found a way for it to ignore certain ones or disable it completely. Good for average people, but annoying for me.

Edge browser - Biggest pain in the kester so far. Seems to crash after being open for 3+ hours, close and restart it's fine. Links don't always respond like they should, probably just needing sites to be revamped for new technology *shrug* Works fine in IE, Chrome and FireFox; IE still installed and easy to get back to. Internet Options is VERY slim now, and doesn't seem to be functional 100%.

Overall, I like the look/feel of Win 10 over Win 8.1, and I'm sure it'll get better as we learn little tricks about it.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

sgkean wrote:There are some annoyances with Win 10 I've found, and I only do clean installs for my systems.

Switching App Prompts is highly annoying. Click on a link from a PDF, a Tor link from browser and it asks "Are you sure you want to switch applications" all the time...haven't found a way for it to ignore certain ones or disable it completely. Good for average people, but annoying for me.
Have you checked under the UAC controls?

Still not convinced Windows 10 is better than 7. One thing I am very interested in is DirectX12 though.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
kowalsky
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by kowalsky »

i updated windows 10 one month ago but now i want to remove it and come back to windows 8.1, it's have some problem to move data, too slow and lag
See more review of my car site: nomi 5 and samsung c5