WiFi Router recommendation please

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

WiFi Router recommendation please

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

This is kind of a special application. That's why I'm asking you guys.

I need to install a router in our Public Works garage so the guys can use their tablets for weather info when the supervisor's office is locked. (That's where the DPW's PC is) The garage is a metal building, roughly between 12,000 & 15,000 sq feet and, naturally, is pretty well full of large metal heavy equipment-trucks, plows, backhoes, bucket loaders, etc.

I'm thinking my best bet will be to run an Ethernet cable from the office out to the main floor (probably less than 25 feet) and wall mount the router for a direct shot down the main aisle. I guess my question is, does that sound about right for the task? And are there any particular models that you think might be better than others for this application?

As always, thanks for the help!
Jack
"A payphone was ringing and it just about blew my mind,
when I picked it up & said 'Hello' this foot came through the line"
~Bob Dylan
KnightRid

Re: WiFi Router recommendation please

Post by KnightRid »

WOW, 15,000 sq. ft in that situation might be a royal PITA. You may need repeaters around the structure to get the signal everywhere, unless you just want coverage at a certain area of the building. You can always throw one in there to see how the coverage is using a signal strength app on your cell phone, you may get lucky!

How often do they need to access weather information? What about just using a cell phone or tether a cell phone to use as wifi on the tablets? Weather info should not use much data as long as they can get cell service in the building.

Oh, I do agree with the idea of running a wire out to hook to the router rather than trying to repeat the signal from in the office.

I hate wireless. So convenient yet so so limited.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
DL126
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DL126 »

Is there not a router already in the office?

If so, then you only need an access point in the garage area connected to the existing router with a cable as you previously mentioned.

I use Engenius wifi products exclusively for business installations.
http://www.engeniustech.com/

Typically the EAP350 is what I install.
The EAP300 will give you a POE option if your mounting location demands it.

These units can also be configured as repeaters for an existing Wifi setup if you already have one.

Edit = I have one of these installed in a garage exactly as you describe.
They do work on 18 wheeler rigs.
With the shop full of trucks, the signal covers the entire location.
Even on the floor between the trailers.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

DL126 wrote: Edit = I have one of these installed in a garage exactly as you describe.
They do work on 18 wheeler rigs.
With the shop full of trucks, the signal covers the entire location.
Even on the floor between the trailers.
That is amazing! For under $500 I might look at these for installing in some big houses that have multiple repeaters/routers/AP's (most routers can be repeaters or AP's now a days so whichever is cheaper and easier to set up is what I would have them get)

I honestly never knew they produced a product that would work in huge areas filled with metal. That is why i love this site, I always learn new stuff!
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
DL126
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DL126 »

KnightRid wrote:
That is amazing! For under $500 I might look at these for installing in some big houses that have multiple repeaters/routers/AP's (most routers can be repeaters or AP's now a days so whichever is cheaper and easier to set up is what I would have them get)

I honestly never knew they produced a product that would work in huge areas filled with metal. That is why i love this site, I always learn new stuff!

Careful now. :lol:
I too was shocked when the thing actually worked!.
After it did, and looking around the shop, my theory was that the signal was maybe bouncing off the walls and truck/trailers, thereby covering all of those expected dead spots.
Never expect too much out of wireless until you see it happen. :)
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

Thanks, both of you!

I know at my house, I just added a $20 router in my living room configured as a range extender for my wireless. There was a wireless dead spot that encompassed the one area where my wife and I both sit to work on our laptops.

The main weather concern is during winter. We're on the Eastern shore of Lake Erie and get bands of lake effect snow. they just want to be able to conveniently check during storms to schedule plowing. Just between you, me & the gatepost, I think a couple of the guys want to be able to play games & stream music/movies, too! The joys of union OT...

Anyway, there is a router in the office but it isn't wireless. Well, technically it is if the village decides it wants to pay another $250 a year for the wireless side to be active. I'll have to see just how much the Village is willing to pay for this. I was hoping to stay under $200 plus labor to avoid the requirement of Board approval. Sorry, forgot to mention that.

Thanks!!
"A payphone was ringing and it just about blew my mind,
when I picked it up & said 'Hello' this foot came through the line"
~Bob Dylan