AMD Ryzen 7 1800X, 1700X and 1700 Processor Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

AMD Ryzen 7 1800X, 1700X and 1700 Processor Review

Post by Apoptosis »

Today marks AMD’s grand re-entry to the high-end processor market after abandoning it years ago when they found that they were no longer competitive in that market. AMD exiting the high performance desktop computing market was a shock to many and it left Intel Corporation with no competition. With Intel left all alone in the desktop processor market it has allowed them to dominate the ever growing PC market. While AMD turned tail and left the market they went back to the drawing board and came up with a new ‘clean-sheet’ x86 microarchitecture design called ‘Zen’. AMD Ryzen processors will be released in three series; Ryzen 7, Ryzen 5 and Ryzen 3. The AMD Ryzen 7 1800X, Ryzen 7 1700X and Ryzen 1700 are being released today and are $300+ processors that each are 8-core, 16-thread parts.

Article Title: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X, 1700X and 1700 Processor Review
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-ryzen-7 ... iew_191753
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
KnightRid

Re: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X, 1700X and 1700 Processor Review

Post by KnightRid »

AMD Ryzen Stack photo is disappointing as it seems the only CPU to really blow Intel away in price is the highest end 1800X. 1700X is ok at $40 but the 1700 is only $20. For $20 or $40 it doesn't make me sit up and say WOW AMD is back with a vengeance. The 1800X does....still reading the review though ;)

Why is the VeraCrypt graphic blurry? Unless it's me but everything else looks clear except that. My meds do cause blurry vision but it is not selective lol.

After reading the whole review I do see how price/performance is a bit better in most cases with ALL the cpus and really shines with the 1800X due to the price point being half of Intel's counterpart. I do not understand why the driver was not ready at launch. I mean, people see the first numbers and go, ok it's not bad, when with the drivers it could be a HUGE game changer...maybe.....who knows if it is just a lot of hot air until they (the drivers) are actually released. It is unfinished yet pushed out to meet a deadline, that's a shame. Also the 1080P gaming debacle is just sad. Sweet spot for gaming is still 1080P - http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/ - so shouldn't they have focused on that?

I would still be happy buying one of them as I don't game much on the computer anymore (ps3 and ps4 for most of my gaming) and it is a nice price point for performance.

1700x overclocking?
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

It seems there is not much room for overclocking, as AMD pushed their new CPU's pretty much to the limit, so this should also be considered, as intels are good OC'ers.
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

sbohdan wrote:It seems there is not much room for overclocking, as AMD pushed their new CPU's pretty much to the limit, so this should also be considered, as intels are good OC'ers.
Yup, why I left the Intel Core i7-7700K in there at 5.1GHz.

I just put up an article with Ryzen 7 at 4.0 GHz on all cores - http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-ryzen-7 ... sor_192191
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!