Intel Optane Memory Review – 32GB Module With 3D Xpoint Tested

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Intel Optane Memory Review – 32GB Module With 3D Xpoint Tested

Post by Apoptosis »

If you building a PC on a budget this year you’ll likely find yourself deciding between a high capacity Hard Disk Drive (HDD) or a smaller, albeit faster SATA III Solid-State Drive (SSD). This is where Intel Optane Memory Modules are expected to fit into the market as it combines Intel 3D XPoint Technology with the latest in SSD caching advancements. The idea for SSD caching is that the important recently accessed data is placed onto really fast caching drive (Intel Optane Memory) and can be quickly accessed when needed by the system instead of having to pull the data from the slower hard drive.

Article Title: Intel Optane Memory Review – 32GB Module With 3D Xpoint Tested
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-optan ... ted_193876
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
KnightRid

Re: Intel Optane Memory Review – 32GB Module With 3D Xpoint Tested Read more at http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-optane

Post by KnightRid »

I commented on the review also and probably will piss Intel off but it is priced WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too high to be worthwhile for anything but a system you already have built but decided not to put a SSD in it. Price of lower capacity SSD drives is lower than these modules and you could use it the same way. I guess it may be a bit lower performance but save your money and laugh all the way to the bank as Optane memory pleads for help as it is slowly being eaten alive buy goldfish and you look back and say "no" (Watchmen - watch it, love it).
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Intel Optane Memory Review – 32GB Module With 3D Xpoint Tested Read more at http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-optane

Post by Apoptosis »

Nah, Intel knows and have heard all the complaints. Let's face it... Every review site has praised SSDs for years... I can't remember the last time I reviewed a normal hard drive besides a specialized one for the NAS market. No one that reads LR is buying a hard drive for a primary drive these days. Intel basically built this device for 'brain dead' consumers that want to make their system faster without having to do anything. You know the people that aren't tech savvy enough to handle two drives (boot/storage) as they do not understand drive paths and how to install things to different drives. This market is niche.

Personally... I think this should be an OEM focused product that is pushed onto Dell, HP, ASUS and those guys for pre-built systems. It does make a nice upgrade for budget HDD based systems. It's just not a product for the DIY PC builder that knows what they are doing.

I got called out on Facebook and other places for not doing enough testing, but I purposely didn't do more testing as the audience this is aimed at isn't going to know what all those tests are. This is something you plug into a system, enable and never touch again. Is it worth spending 3-5 more hours running tests that aren't going to really benefit those who may buy it? Someone buying this product won't care how fast it as a secondary drive or as a primary boot drive. That isn't the point of this product. Intel Optane SSDs will be here soon enough.
Follow Me on Twitter!
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Apoptosis wrote:Personally... I think this should be an OEM focused product that is pushed onto Dell, HP, ASUS and those guys for pre-built systems. It does make a nice upgrade for budget HDD based systems. It's just not a product for the DIY PC builder that knows what they are doing.
*drops mic*

Hell yes, that would be the perfect use! get it in there before people buy the system as most of the people buying them would never change anything anyway. I showed people the speed difference between their HDD and an SSD and they just said....ehh maybe sometime.... #-o
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Intel Optane Memory Review – 32GB Module With 3D Xpoint Tested

Post by Apoptosis »

I showed people the speed difference between their HDD and an SSD and they just said....ehh maybe sometime...
That is the person that buys an Intel Optane Memory Module for $45... They walk into a PC shop looking to speed up their slow system and are told that this is a way to make your PC faster and more responsive. That would be a customer that doesn't care about numbers or swapping over to an SSD. Someone that walks into a PC shop looking for an upgrade in the years to come can have this done for cheap. Maybe the shop gets to sell the module and charge 30 minutes of labor for install and setup. They are happy and the customer is happy. Way cheaper than needing a data migration or a fresh install on the pocket book.
Follow Me on Twitter!