Which board?

Discussion about Intel CPU Motherboards
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Which board?

Post by LVCapo »

I just RMA'd my ASUS P4C800-E back to Newegg. I'm going to use that with my Prescott cpu and kingston memory.
I picked up this MSI board because the guy at Fry's swore it was a great board, well, IT SUX. On my ASUS board I was rock solid at 3.5GHz (on a 2.8), my corsair mem hit 6100 on Sandra.
With the MSI board, it won't go past 3.2 without rebooting (mainly because it won't let you adjust the vcore) and the memory tops out at 4800 on Sandra.This board is compatible with Prescott CPUs, but you can't adjust the voltage on anything but a Northwood. I would not recommend this board to anyone, especially anyone who wants to OC.
My real question is this, I think I'm going to return this board and order a Chaintech 9JC Zenith, Max PC has had it as their top board since Jan. Anyone have any input here? Any experiences withh the Chaintech board or other boards they really like. I tried the ABIT IC7-Max3 and really didn't like it, plus the cooler they put on it doesn't like aftermaket heatsinks.
Immortal

Post by Immortal »

The MAX3 is great, it does work with aftermarket heatsinks, im using a Aero 4 no problem, i have friends using the Zalman CNPS7000Cu and the SP94 from thermalright.

Only problem with the MAX3 is u need to do a little modding to get it to be an UBER overclocking board, if u dont its still an awesome OC'able board.

Unless u want 2.9v and above for the RAM, the Abit board is awesome, if u want more than 2.8v then ul have to do some slight board modding, but after the modding, the MAX3 becomes an OC'ers dream, most can hit 300FSB!
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

the problem I had with the Abit board was the temps...yes I did read the review right here, but it just bothered me that the ASUS was right around 34-36, and the Abit board was around 55 idle. It just felt physically hotter to me too. I had alot of problems trying to mount my SP-94 on it.
I'm really interested in the Chaintech board, I have heard alot of great OCing with it, and also have heard raves about everything you get with it.
Last edited by LVCapo on Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Immortal

Post by Immortal »

the abit boards report the temps higher, its been proven with a temp sensor, have a look @ the abit forums!

I know, my areogate reports a temp of around 32c whereas the mobo reports 39! :P
Mavke
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Mavke »

Well as I though Asus still is one of the best Mainboard Manufacturers :-)
I own a Asus P4P800 Deluxe and my P4 2.8GHz (800MHz BUS) is running at 3.5GHz (1GHz BUS)!
rishdi
Legit User
Legit User

Post by rishdi »

I own an Asus as well, it is an amazing board.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

Yeah, the ASUS board was my favorite, worked awesome until one day it just quit working. the MSI board is crap, but I actually read an online article that has me concerned last night. Last week I expressed some concern over a temp reading in sandra that showed 127 C, everyone thought maybe the sensor was busted or not reading right. Then i came across an article that said alot of board makers have done that for Prescott chips to save the boards. These boards are compatible with Prescotts, but not made for them, meaning that these chips run alot hotter, too hot in fact for some of the boards, which is why companies like MSI do not let you adjust the vcore setting. I guess the board makers feel it isn't worth the time or effort to actually fix the boards right with the new chipset andprocessor layout coming later this year. From what i read I expect there to be alot of burned out boards from these chips, and alot of very unhappy people, including me. It is beyond me that companies would charge the money they do for these products with known flaws in them, fatal flaws that will be very exxpensive.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

A very interesting read. this is a very good article over at ksbrainstorms.

http://www.ksbrainstorms.com/index.php? ... r_circuits
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

Just got back my ASUS board I rma'ed to newegg, its cooling in the WC case and I'll put my other stuff in the AC Chaintech setup. This is going to bbe a bad bitch when I'm done
Immortal

Post by Immortal »

Excellent, be sure to tell us how it goes! :)
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

my only real issue is figuring out an external enclosure to house the radiator, fan, pump and res. I have been killing myself trying to think of where to get something useful. i don't have alot of heavy duty tools, so i'm limited in what i can fabricate