CES 2006: OCZ's Cryo-Z Phase Change Cooler

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

CES 2006: OCZ's Cryo-Z Phase Change Cooler

Post by Apoptosis »

While at CES we spotted the upcoming OCZ Cryo-Z Phase Change Cooler out in Vegas. These single phase change coolers are still over a month away from being in full production, but are still worth a look. If prices get down under $300 like OCZ hopes water cooling might be dated!

Article Link: CES 2006: OCZ's Cryo-Z Phase Change Cooler
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: CES 2006: OCZ's Cryo-Z Phase Change Cooler

Post by gvblake22 »

Apoptosis wrote:If prices get down under $300 like OCZ hopes water cooling might be dated!
Now THAT is a crazy thought! :rolleyes:
I never thought I would ever see the day when a phase change cooling system was cheaper than a high end water cooling system!!! :shock:

Either way, it will definately be interesting to see how this goes over in the enthusiast community. I can definately see how people who are considering dropping the cash for a high end water cooling system for the CPU would be easily swayed into buying this!

What kind of noise levels do these things produce?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

It was less than the case fans above it, but it has the usual cooler sounds like the gurgles and all.

OCZ hopes to have it $200 by end of the year, but I don't think that is possible. Launching at $350... maybe $275ish.
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

Gurgling?! lol, I guess I don't really know that sound as I've (sadly) never heard a phase change system or even a water cooling system. :oops:

I agree with you Nate. If it is launched at $350, I can see it getting down to about $275. But I can't see it being competitive with water cooling unless it is right around or less than $200.
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

...and was that a new Cooler Master CM Stacker 830 case I saw there????? 8)
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

one thing is for sure: if it gets down to $200 I will get one :finga:
getting -44C ? calls for a crazy OC. no more temp. issues :mrgreen:
does it have the attachments for the GPU or just CPU? option maybe?
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

ya no s**t, lol.....omfg, phase-change for that little???? that really puts OCZ in competition with products like the Mach II.......wow, that is all I can say: wow! Definitely a great cooler buy if it launches for that low :shock:
rpsgc
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by rpsgc »

Apoptosis wrote:It was less than the case fans above it, but it has the usual cooler sounds like the gurgles and all.
Since I've never heard a phase-change system before can you say to what that compares to? And the sound is mostly annoying or not at all?

Thanks.
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

the price compares to a Prometeia Mach II GT and likewise.......In case you're not familiar with it, Phase Change cooling runs a CPU super-cool (like below zero cool) using refrigerant like R-134a (the label on the OCZ coole says it uses this refrigerant, but according to Nate that isn't the case, so I would assume, considering such low temps, it uses refrigerant similar to what you would find in, say, a Prometeia Mach II GT)......This particular unit will be frickin awesome when it comes out because it appears to have similar performance to the Prometeia stuff, but costs around, oh I dunno, a thousand less at best (when you compare the Prometeia Berkut Edition).....In other words, kick-ass sub-zero cooling and extreme overclocking on a budget......I thought I would never see such a unit drop so low in price, for sure!

the overall comparison is.....well......there is none except for something even more extreme, like LN2 (Liquid Nitrogen, lol).....even on high-end water you can't get these temps, maybe around 25C at best depending on what cooling block you're using and how efficient your system's cooling is.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

The Mach II goes for ~$800......How can OCZ make something to compete with that? Even if they sell it for $400.....

It must have a smaller compressor.....I doubt it will go as low as -40C
I have a feeling it will work like a good peltier block, mayby down to -20C....

If we see the ECT Prometeia Mach 2 drop in price considerably over the next few months, then mayby OCZ is onto something.....

my2cent
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

We spoke with Tony (Big Toe) from OCZ who has had one for a lenghty period of time and he was seeing -22C at idle on an AMD FX-57 overclocked to 3.3GHz and around -10C under load.
directly from the article.......personally, I think this is just fine for the majority of overclockers, aside from the crazy mofo's who want to get 6+ GHz on their Northwood P4.....I know I would pay out $350 for this unit, even better @ $275. I couldn't justify paying for a Prommie unless they got that low.......also, something else too to tell you this isn't a cheaply made cooler that uses coolant intended for an automobile, lol:
Although the OCZ Cryo-Z uses a compressor that has a label that says R134a that is not the case. OCZ didn't want to comment on exactly what coolant is used but did mention that they picked the best price versus performance coolant for what they wanted.
it's worth the price IMO
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

how heavy is it?
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

audiophile wrote:how heavy is it?
Too heavy for a LAN party if that's what your thinking....
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

kenc51 wrote:
.....I doubt it will go as low as -40C
it shows on the picture above (if you look closely): -44.5C :finga:
if it really gonna sell for around $200, then it will be a steal - a bargain that will knock out all other cooling solutions :P
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

sbohdan wrote:
kenc51 wrote:
.....I doubt it will go as low as -40C
it shows on the picture above (if you look closely): -44.5C :finga:
if it really gonna sell for around $200, then it will be a steal - a bargain that will knock out all other cooling solutions :P
That temp would be without it attached to any cpu....

I didn't fully read Apop's article earlier :oops: But It looks promising....the only thing that would stop me is the power use.....phase change uses ALOT of Watts.......
rpsgc
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by rpsgc »

kenc51 wrote:phase change uses ALOT of Watts.......
How much is "a lot" ? :rolleyes:
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

kenc51 wrote:
audiophile wrote:how heavy is it?
Too heavy for a LAN party if that's what your thinking....
hehe that's exactly what i was thinking :)
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

rpsgc wrote:
kenc51 wrote:phase change uses ALOT of Watts.......
How much is "a lot" ? :rolleyes:
"We're looking at the North American model of the Prometeia Mach II GT, and at its heart is a Danfoss NF9FX refrigeration compressor. Officially intended to run with R134a refrigerant, the Danfoss NF9FX draws up to 310W of power during peak operation and is rated to work in ambient temperatures up to 43°C."

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm? ... 793&page=6
rpsgc
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by rpsgc »

Bio-Hazard wrote:"We're looking at the North American model of the Prometeia Mach II GT, and at its heart is a Danfoss NF9FX refrigeration compressor. Officially intended to run with R134a refrigerant, the Danfoss NF9FX draws up to 310W of power during peak operation and is rated to work in ambient temperatures up to 43°C."

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm? ... 793&page=6

/me dies

:ohsnap:
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

kenc51 wrote:The Mach II goes for ~$800......How can OCZ make something to compete with that? Even if they sell it for $400.....

It must have a smaller compressor.....I doubt it will go as low as -40C

If we see the ECT Prometeia Mach 2 drop in price considerably over the next few months, then mayby OCZ is onto something.....

my2cent
Ok, I'm obviously missing something here, but how would -40º be any better than -20º?!
They are both so cold that I would imagine you are quickly approaching the point of diminishing returns....