ATI X1800 CrossFire Video Card Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

ATI X1800 CrossFire Video Card Review

Post by Apoptosis »

Today we look at ATI’s second generation of multi-GPU systems, the X1800 CrossFire and compare it to Nvidia’s SLI. We test both the ATI X1800XT and the X1800XL with the ATI X1800 CrossFire master card and see how they perform against a couple of overclocked BFG Tech nVidia 7800GT's in SLI mode. Read on to see how they do!

Article Title: ATI X1800 CrossFire Video Card Review
Current Pricing: ATI X1800 CrossFire Pricing
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

I think I'll just paraphrase the whole article!
............and ATI now has a competitive solution.
Heck yeah....... ;P
Pooreone
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Pooreone »

I game a lot but I still cannot find a reason to have two video cards. Most of the time when I am playing it's in a match and every setting is on low to begin with to increase FPS. Even while pubbing my 6600GT looks fine to me, and for the cost of SLi or crossfire, it's something I will never consider.

The review was great! Answered a lot of question I had about the new ATI cards.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

What happened to comparing the Crossfire to 7800GTX SLi?

Couldn't get hold of the parts? ;)

I really hope ATI can get its avaiability up soon, else they are in real danger of falling so far behind that they wont be able to catch Nvidia up.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

We have a pair of 7800GTX 512's that I got in today. You will see them included in future video card reviews! We have one 7800GTX, but not another to match it that is why it wasn't included.
eeee074
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by eeee074 »

DMB2000uk wrote:What happened to comparing the Crossfire to 7800GTX SLi?

I really hope ATI can get its avaiability up soon, else they are in real danger of falling so far behind that they wont be able to catch Nvidia up.

Dan
Couldn't agree more, I believe they left this out because they knew which card RULEZ
[E]eee
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

haha, no that isn't the case. Legit Reviews hasn't had a video card reviewer in a long time. So, for all of 2005 we didn't really do any video cards. In December 2005 Brian (Wickedld9 on the forums) became our video card reviewer. Since LR didn't review video cards nVidia and ATI didn't send us the top end cards so the public had a couple more they could buy. (Think about it... every review site gets a pair of 7800GTX 512 cards say 300 sites are on the press list that means 600 cards are sent out for press samples. We all know how rare these cards are not to mention the $749.00 price tag they carry over at Newegg even though they are out of stock. If LR wasn't doing video card reviews we don't need them and I'd rather they sell them to consumers who want them.) Moving on into the future we will have all the top end cards for review. I e-mailed nVidia and told them LR was going to be ATI biased if we didn't get some cards and they overnight mailed me them. I got them yesterday and nVidia's 7800GTX 512's will be used in our next review, which is coming up very shortly and will be more important than this X1800 Crossfire article.

On a side note is anyone happy we are doing GPU reviews again? This is only the second video card review we have done since doing them again and I've gotten more flame e-mails and IM's than positive notes.
Pooreone
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Pooreone »

I like the GPU reviews. He's doing a good job.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

eeee074 wrote:
DMB2000uk wrote:What happened to comparing the Crossfire to 7800GTX SLi?

Dan
Couldn't agree more, I believe they left this out because they knew which card RULEZ
Nate and the guys are not fan boyz and are fair and honest when it comes to the reviews. Not like some of the Fan Boyz that cruze the sites looking to start fan boy wars.
Bwall
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bwall »

Pooreone wrote:I like the GPU reviews. He's doing a good job.
:D Thanks!

Please give any opinions on other things you'd like to see!
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Hey I'm not a fanboy! We'll am not aware that I am :P

What does it take to get on the press release sample list :P
Wouldnt mind having new cards sent to me ;)

The reviews are great, this is actually the first true crossfire review that I've seen! And it came to me! Dont let a few people bad mouthin put you off doing more in the future!

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

DMB2000uk wrote:What does it take to get on the press release sample list :P
Wouldnt mind having new cards sent to me ;)
Have a review site that is big enough to bump off another site on the list! They have a set number of samples... if you want one you have to bump a site that is currently on the list off.