ATI's Radeon X1900 Video Card Series

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

ATI's Radeon X1900 Video Card Series

Post by Apoptosis »

With the launch of ATI's X1900 series we see the first series of graphics cards to feature 48 pixel shaders and over 380 million transistors. The new X1900XTX, X1900XT, and X1900 CrossFire are also available for sale today, which might as well be another first for the video card industry! Read on to see how the ATI X1900 compares to the nVIdia 7800GTX 512!

ATI’s new flagship video card is the X1900XTX. Thankfully the performance of the card matches the length of its name. It comes with a core clock of 650MHz and 512MB of RAM clocked at 1.55GHz. For those wondering X1800XT was clocked at 625MHz core, and 1.5GHz memory. It’s difficult to tell the differences between the new card and the old card on the outside, with the only noticeable differences being the number of mosfets next to the long red heat sink toward the end of the board. The card comes equipped with two Dual Link DVI connectors and an S-Video connector. This level of performance doesn’t come cheap at $649 MSRP and is available at the time of writing for $694 at MonarchPC.
Article Title: ATI Radeon X1900 Video Card Series
Current Pricing: Live Pricing
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Is it just me, or does everyone feel a little let down by ATI.....I was hoping for more.....If they can only just compete with the GTX512...what will happen when nVidia have their even newer gfx card out.....???

I noticed you were using 5.13 beta drivers....I'm hoping the 6.2 catalyst drivers improve performance..... [-o<

Just I was expecting more from an '06 next-gen card when competing with an '05 card.....
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

The ATI X1900 series WAS run on Beta drivers, but they were not the 5.13 drivers. They were the R580 Beta Drivers: 8-203-3-060104a-029 was the file name on the drivers.

Keep in mind when you are reading this that nVidia's answer to the X1900 Series will be next month!
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by NAiLs »

I've gotta say, that card is amazing. I wish it had more pixel pipelines to handle games down low like the 7800GTX could, but damn did it have amazing results at high resolution with high settings!! :shock: I can see ATI tossing this technology around with some enhancements, like more pixel pipelines, and bringing out a killer card to whatever NVidia comes out with.

Great review! It kinda brings back faith in ATI after they released that weak X1800 series card.
"Bow down before the one you serve! You're going to get what you deserve!" - |\| | |/|
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

another is it just me...

but is anyone else getting kind of annoyed how they are realeasing new video cards every 6 months or so and its performance is just slightly better than its predisessor? Just makes ya feel bad for purchasing the one before the new one. There has to be a line drawn somewhere about this. anyone??
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

6 months has been the product cycle for some time in the GPU industry, but i agree with you 100%. But think about the Dell's in the world though without new hardware coming out a couple times a year they wouldn't have marketing power like they do with constant products coming out to help lure consumers into spending more money... okay off my soap box.

Think about the ATI X1800 CrossFire! It came out December 20th and now on January 24th the ATI X1800 CrossFire comes out. That is simply amazing if you ask me. It doesn't seem like share holders care though because ATI stock (ATYT) is up nearly 4% for the day on news of the good performance numbers.
Last edited by Apoptosis on Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Dragon_Cooler wrote:another is it just me...

but is anyone else getting kind of annoyed how they are realeasing new video cards every 6 months or so and its performance is just slightly better than its predisessor? Just makes ya feel bad for purchasing the one before the new one. There has to be a line drawn somewhere about this. anyone??
I wouldn't blame ATI this time.......they were late releasing the X18** series....The 256mb GTX is out a while now.....the x18** series was supposed to be out then too.....
This time they are just getting a headstart on nV....AND the cards are available to buy this time......

Has anyone seen my GTX512?? :roll:

My gripe is how expensive they are getting...........
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Don't worry about the GTX512... The next generation nVidia cards are coming out in Feb according to sources at nVidia!
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by NAiLs »

Ken, I totally agree on how expensive the cards are getting. It's absurd! I remember when the 9800 Pro came out and the MSRP was $400. Now that was a big chunk of change then, but now when you have the cards today coming out witha $650+ price tag, now that's a little out of hand! And with the SLI/Crossfire technology.. umm.. lower the price some please! :roll:
"Bow down before the one you serve! You're going to get what you deserve!" - |\| | |/|
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

i think ati/nvidia would get more money if they dropped the price of their cards about $100 for each card. more people would buy them and yeild a higher net profit.

by the way, excellent review :), as always
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

I have to say these guys are getting out of hand with prices.... the most i will spend is $300 on a graphics card, and i would much rather spend $200. When i can get a X1900 card that will either unlock or overclock to XT speeds for $200-300 then i might buy one. Until that time I will just sit happy with my X800GTO2.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
werewolfdaddy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by werewolfdaddy »

The prices are ridiculous. How many $600+ priced video cards can they expect to sell? I wonder what their profit margin on each card is?