CPU-Z memory reading question

From general questions to the harder advanced user topics you will find them here!
Fogey
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

CPU-Z memory reading question

Post by Fogey »

Ok ,my first adventure into OCing has been interesting. I can get this 0.13um FX-55 [2.6] to run at 14x multiplier vs stock 13 as long as I set the voltage to 1.5125. On Auto voltage setting Doom 3 crashed it in about 2 minutes. On the manual voltage setting it was running great till I upped the multiplier to 14.5 the it was open the case time , pull the CMOS battery and short out the jumper. Ha Ha, my first total bios won't do nothing cause I pushed to hard failure.

Anyhow, On the CPU-Z the memory setting tab, [CPU at 13x = 2.6[auto] and voltage at 1.5 [auto]] I got this
CPU/16

With manual setting, [CPU at 14x =2.8 and voltage at 1.5125] I got this
CPU/17
Why isn't the frequency running at 200 instead of 163.3/165.6

In the Bios its set at 200 with the PCI set at 100. Are these true reading or is the CPU-Z miss reading them?
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

What version of CPUz are you using? 1.31 frequently reported mem speeds incorrectly when using dividers. 1.32 seems to be better but I haven't played with it much.
Joe
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

With AMD64 if you use a 1/2 divider you set your ram on a divider too....

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/sho ... hp?t=41595

I'm still new to amd64 too... :roll:
wuzy
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by wuzy »

Unless you've got DDR333, you RAM should be running at 200Mhz(DDR400) so it's in sync with FSB/HTT.
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

kenc51 wrote:With AMD64 if you use a 1/2 divider you set your ram on a divider too....

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/sho ... hp?t=41595

I'm still new to amd64 too... :roll:
Yes, 1/2 multi's are evil!
Joe
Fogey
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Fogey »

Memory is DDR 400 [Crucial, Balistic]. 4 sticks of 512. SPD tab is reading the info correct. CPU multiplier is at 14. CPU voltage is at 1.5125. Everything else is on auto. At these setting,everything seems to be running fine. Prime 95 torture test is runing fine with no problems so far.

CPU-Z is ver 1.32.1 March 2006.

Spent about 10.5 hours just trying Doom3 ROE on it. Six hour marathon of Doom 3ROE did real well. At the end of six hours straight, windows XP Pro SP2 with all updates went into slow moe mode. Was 5:30 AM by then, time for some sleep I can't blame this on OCing cause its [OS] has done this before in Doom and FEAR while gaming straight in excess of five+ hours with no OCing.

Thanks for the advice/help. Now I find out about the evil of half multipliers.
wuzy
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by wuzy »

Fogey wrote:Memory is DDR 400 [Crucial, Balistic]. 4 sticks of 512. SPD tab is reading the info correct. CPU multiplier is at 14. CPU voltage is at 1.5125. Everything else is on auto. At these setting,everything seems to be running fine. Prime 95 torture test is runing fine with no problems so far.

CPU-Z is ver 1.32.1 March 2006.

Spent about 10.5 hours just trying Doom3 ROE on it. Six hour marathon of Doom 3ROE did real well. At the end of six hours straight, windows XP Pro SP2 with all updates went into slow moe mode. Was 5:30 AM by then, time for some sleep I can't blame this on OCing cause its [OS] has done this before in Doom and FEAR while gaming straight in excess of five+ hours with no OCing.

Thanks for the advice/help. Now I find out about the evil of half multipliers.
No wonder. The memory controller on your current FX-55 can only handle DDR333 when 4 sticks are used.
Either buy 2x1GB or remove the other two sticks.
Fogey
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Fogey »

Dang. Wasen't aware of the memory controler issue defaulting to lower speed with four sticks. I was going to go with two sticks of 1 gig each, but from what I read different places, 512 sticks seem to preform better than the 1 gig sticks. Research time. Thanks

I've looked about the web, but I can't seem to find anywhere where it points out this issue. :| As I'll be building with AMD more so in the future, I'd like to read up on it. I removed two sticks this morning and everything is fine except for half the memory so I ordered some 1 gig sticks. I'm on a AMD learning curve :mrgreen:
Fogey
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Fogey »

Wuzy: Thanks for the Help/Info.

I looked high and low on info related to the AMD FX-55 On board memory controller issue defaulting to a lower speed with all four dimm slots filled. Could find very little. Asus was not real helpfull, even thought the question was asked on their forums realted to this very issue. However over at Sharkeyextreme they did a review on an FX-57. It was pointed out that the FX-57 would run all four dimm slots populated with DDR400 at full speed. :finga: YES! Updated my Bios......Hence, I'm awaiting my over night package from Fed Ex! Ah, that lovely sight of the Fed Ex guy stopping out front. Me, not wanting to wait and rip off the outer packaging to expose the full beauty of my new FX-57. My newest CPU will find a happy home in amongst the other hardware in my SLI rig. In the mean time- :drinkers: Thanks!!!