Altec Lansing AHS302USB Headset Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

We evaluate another entry-level PC headset on the market today, the Altec Lansing AHS302usb. Have we finally found a legitimate low-cost headphone and microphone combo? With a behind-the-neck headband and noise-canceling microphone it might just be an option! Read on for the answer.

Our search for a quality PC Gaming Headset makes a stop at Altec Lansing where we take a look at their AHS302usb. For a street price of under $30, we still consider this an “entry-level” headset, but for those just getting their feet wet with Skype, this is a comfortable price range. In our last headset review, we checked out Logitech’s entry model, the Precision PC Gaming Headset.
Article Title: Altec Lansing AHS302USB Headset Review
Current Pricing: Live Pricing
bigblockmatt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by bigblockmatt »

what did you guys notice about hearing outside noise while using the headset? Could you hear people talking around you, if so, how well? also, how well could people around you hear what you were listening too.
comp specs- too lazy to make a cool looking sig... MB:GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P, AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition 2.8Ghz, CORSAIR TW3X4G1333C9DHX 4GB PC3-10666, ASUS Radeon HD 4870 512MB, SB audigy gamer, WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar Black 500GB, antec P180 case (extra 120mm fan and 80mm fan), Corsair HX Series 620W: ASSEMBLED June 2009
Digital Puppy

Post by Digital Puppy »

bigblockmatt wrote:what did you guys notice about hearing outside noise while using the headset? Could you hear people talking around you, if so, how well? also, how well could people around you hear what you were listening too.
To be honest, when I used this set at a fairly high volume level to listen to music, it doesn't do a very good job of insulating the sound. As you wear it though, it sounds great, but if you are say in a library where there is no noise around, people will be able to hear at least the "highs" from the headset.

As far as the wearer being able to hear what going on around - you are only isolated to a certain degree...... ie. I was able to hear my desk phone pretty easily when it rang while wearing them.
Just a little puppy trying to make it in a big digital world.
bigblockmatt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by bigblockmatt »

cool, thanks for the description!
comp specs- too lazy to make a cool looking sig... MB:GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P, AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition 2.8Ghz, CORSAIR TW3X4G1333C9DHX 4GB PC3-10666, ASUS Radeon HD 4870 512MB, SB audigy gamer, WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar Black 500GB, antec P180 case (extra 120mm fan and 80mm fan), Corsair HX Series 620W: ASSEMBLED June 2009
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

Just wanted to say i bought a pair of these about a week ago and after using them quite abit on Team Speak i can attest to their quality and value. My voice is crystal clear, and the sound reproduction is decent.

You can get them for $50 at bestbuy or online for like $35. For the price these are the headsets to have if you TS at all.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
sparkn
Legit User
Legit User

Post by sparkn »

Works flawlessly on my PCs and Macs (even though the reviewer stated a different experience). The dongle also worked just fine with an old analog headset I had laying around.

Can't say that it's high quality, though, but it's very good for the price, and for that I give it high marks.
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

This is my LAN Party headset of choice. I can just plug it into the USB port on my G15 keyboard and not have to worry about changing settings on my Audigy 2. I just wish I could get the mic to work properlly consistantly.
Digital Puppy

Post by Digital Puppy »

sparkn wrote:Works flawlessly on my PCs and Macs (even though the reviewer stated a different experience). The dongle also worked just fine with an old analog headset I had laying around.

Can't say that it's high quality, though, but it's very good for the price, and for that I give it high marks.
Yup...our USB dongle had a problem with the Mac Power Book G4 we were trying to use it with. Knowing our Mac, it was probably the computer's fault...

It's pretty hard to beat this headset (and USB dongle) for the price. Highly recommended.

'DP
Hybridesque
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Hybridesque »

Well, I've had this headset for about 3 months now, but only used them for 2 months on account of being away for a month. This is the very same headset that Digital Puppy reviewed (he sent it to me). I like the quality of the sound and the microphone and there is only one thing that ruins it for me. the ergonomics.

I am very much used to having earphones instead of headphones, so I'm used to having a very bassy sound (which of course I can dial back). These around the neck headset doesn't clamp round my ears like I want it to, so feels like the noise it's not going in my ears so I don't get the bass when listening to music and have to run more volume than I'd like. If only it would fit better onto my ears.

I like how the USB dongle works.. so I can switch happily between the headset or the onboard sound of my PC (which goes through a mini hi-fi) by removing the headset dongle.

The microphone is fantastic and I love how the noise cancelling removes my typing and so on, so that only thing heard clearly is my voice.

Overall conclusion, very nice piece of kit but I'd suggest you check how well it fits around your head before dropping your money down.
Digital Puppy

Post by Digital Puppy »

Welcome to Legit Forums!!!

Thanks for your input. I know I have a big head so the thing fits me perfectly! :) I think USB dongle itself is worth the $20 (total cost online).