Welcome to the console gaming corner

This is the place to hang out and talk about consoles. From game thoughts to hardcore mods feel free to talk about the Microsoft xbox 360 and PS2/PS3 here all you like!
Nobahar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Welcome to the console gaming corner

Post by Nobahar »

Here you can hear me rant about how I can get more out of a 300 dollar computer than a 400 dollar console. :)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

haha ;)
grunt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by grunt »

no way, if I had known the xbox360 would have been this good I would have never built my dual core rig, nor would I have let my friends buy their stuff either. Its awesome, I was never the type to be a console gamer but Im hooked now.
pcrobot
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pcrobot »

I'd take my PC over a 360 anyday. :mrgreen:
Nobahar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Nobahar »

I like the xbox360, but if you haven't already you'll soon realize the limitations of it that applied to the xbox as well.

Maybe there's a handful of games you like. The multiplayer capability of them hasn't reached the ease and consistency of that of computers. It really depends on what type of gamer you are.

Sports games always had a domain on consoles, but they're not my cup of tea. I enjoy first-person shooters and rpgs. And in both cases, the versatility of keyboard/mouse controls provided far more to me than overcrowding of functions on a game pad. With superior multiplayer, computers were the logical choice. And if you're ok buying hardware that isn't brand-new. Then you have a much cheaper alternative as well.

Buying the xbox360 the day it comes out is like buying a brand new video card. If you're comparing these scenarios, you get more for your money with the xbox. But suppose you wait 6 months to a year, or more and buy the same new video card whose price has dropped drastically since newer video cards are being introduced in about that time. Then you still see that the xbox360 price hasn't changed.

Suddenly the situation is reversed that since the graphics card market is more fluid with new cards being introduced and obsolete ones losing value quickly, you can purchase a card with roughly the same power as the xbox at far less cost if you wait it out.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Nobahar wrote:I like the xbox360, but if you haven't already you'll soon realize the limitations of it that applied to the xbox as well.

Maybe there's a handful of games you like. The multiplayer capability of them hasn't reached the ease and consistency of that of computers. It really depends on what type of gamer you are.

Sports games always had a domain on consoles, but they're not my cup of tea. I enjoy first-person shooters and rpgs. And in both cases, the versatility of keyboard/mouse controls provided far more to me than overcrowding of functions on a game pad. With superior multiplayer, computers were the logical choice. And if you're ok buying hardware that isn't brand-new. Then you have a much cheaper alternative as well.

Buying the xbox360 the day it comes out is like buying a brand new video card. If you're comparing these scenarios, you get more for your money with the xbox. But suppose you wait 6 months to a year, or more and buy the same new video card whose price has dropped drastically since newer video cards are being introduced in about that time. Then you still see that the xbox360 price hasn't changed.

Suddenly the situation is reversed that since the graphics card market is more fluid with new cards being introduced and obsolete ones losing value quickly, you can purchase a card with roughly the same power as the xbox at far less cost if you wait it out.
Great post :)
pcrobot
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pcrobot »

kenc51 wrote:
Nobahar wrote:I like the xbox360, but if you haven't already you'll soon realize the limitations of it that applied to the xbox as well.

Great post :)
Agreed. :mrgreen:
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

I like console gaming AND PC gaming. Console gaming is nice because you know the games are going to work on the console as advertised but on the PC the system requirements may be too steep for lower-end machines (a la Oblivion). However, FPS on consoles are a PITA and I much prefer to play them on a PC with a mouse. If I could hook a mouse and KB up to the 360 it would be much better. Other than that, they both are pretty good for gaming. I'm not much into online gaming so it isn't really a factor with me although I tried XBOX live and think it SUCKS. It's cumbersome to join games and you end up playing 8 year olds in half the games. Boooring.
Joe
bigblockmatt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by bigblockmatt »

The one thing that i like about consoles is sports games and the ability to play the games with multiple people, that are sitting next to you... I hate sports games on pc, but i hate shooting games on consoles (except golden eye :mrgreen: , i mean, who doesnt). my room mates and I have a season going on NHL Hits. it wouldnt nearly be as much fun on a pc.
comp specs- too lazy to make a cool looking sig... MB:GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P, AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition 2.8Ghz, CORSAIR TW3X4G1333C9DHX 4GB PC3-10666, ASUS Radeon HD 4870 512MB, SB audigy gamer, WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar Black 500GB, antec P180 case (extra 120mm fan and 80mm fan), Corsair HX Series 620W: ASSEMBLED June 2009
grunt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by grunt »

Nobahar wrote: The multiplayer capability of them hasn't reached the ease and consistency of that of computers. It really depends on what type of gamer you are.
I'm sorry, your saying you can put a game in the tray.. Load and get online in SECONDS.. Right now Im at 100% compatibility with my 360 all in High def grfx. Looking a lot better then my 6 month old gaming pc which is by no means a slouch. Which I have spent countless hours configuring updating and rebooting/reformatting.

Do you have a 360?
grunt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by grunt »

FZ1 wrote:Console gaming is nice because you know the games are going to work on the console as advertised but on the PC the system requirements may be too steep for lower-end machines
.............Exactly

And your going to run into all sorts of ages, on any platform.. Personally I couldnt care less how old the person Im playing is.
Nobahar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Nobahar »

They fix the games to make them work at those settings. That's why some games don't get to their full graphical capability on the console, ie Morrowind on computer vs Morrowind on xbox.

With little effort you can optimize the settings that best suit your system too, problem fixed.

I don't load games in the tray when I can get around it, via a cd crack or daemon tools. And in most cases with a full install, yes- loading on a pc is alot faster than on the xbox. Too early for me to tell with the xbox360, I've only played three games on it and they all were on my friend's system.
amdme127
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by amdme127 »

I agree with Nobahar's post. I enjoy rpgs and strategy. Age of Empires and Rise of Legends/Nations would be the hardest thing to play on a console.
stopthekilling77
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stopthekilling77 »

i laugh! not at either side of the argument, but who cares which is better? i want my computer for everything that a console can't do, and i want a console to easily play with my friends who come over and have some drinks and snacks and be idiots together, and not have to make it a LAN party.

i love my computer because i'm a music nazi so to speak and i can dip into my 300Gs of mp3s with winamp and BAM i'm back to my game.
but with a console such as a 360, i'm not too worried about their peripheral uses such as music because i bought it for the awesome plug and play capabilities that make it unique. and when was the last time you used your friends monster TV for counterstrike? i thought not. (not saying you couldnt do it but puhhhleeease!!!)

point is, i'll let you guys duke out which is better for the money, but i'll be just fine enjoying both fine pieces of electronic goodness and be content with what they're made for, respectively.
Cyberpower generic case
B450M PRO-VDH MAX
Ryzen 5 3600 w/PBO/OC
CM Hyper 212 EVO push/pull
Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
MSI RTX 3060 Ti Ventus 3X 8G OC LHR
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
6GB Seagate HDD
EVGA 650BQ 650W PSU
ASUS VE278 27" monitor, Dell E2216HV (vertical)
Logitech Z533 2.1 Speakers, G935 7.1 or G435 headset
MS LXM-00001 keyboard
Razer Deathadder Elite, XBOX One Lunar Shift controller

I've come a long way from my original Core2Duo E6750 build y'all! :supz: