XFX 7950GX2 570M XXX Edition Video Card Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Bwall
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bwall »

Today NVIDIA unleases a new monster out on the video card market and while it has two GPU's do not dare call this card SLI. With two GeForce 7-series graphics cores and 1GB of total memory this card is a beast on paper yet not power hungry. Read on and take a look at what XFX has done on their 7950GX2!

Overall we've seen great performance out of the XFX 7950GX2. It does in fact provide the fastest performance of any single card on the market today. But, this begs the question....can this really be called a single card? After all it is two video cards literally screwed together, communicating via on-board PCI-E bridge, connected to the motherboard by a single PCI-E slot. I don't think there is a correct answer other than to say that the XFX GeForce 7950GX2 XXX is smoking fast.

Article Title: XFX 7950GX2 570M XXX Edition Video Card
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

This was a very interesting card. I was able to use it for a couple days before I gave it to Brian for testing and it was powerfull. I ran the power consumption testing versus the pair of GeForce 7800GTX 512's and the results were really shocking and the 3DMark06 score was not even 100 points different.

A great card and they are just now starting to pop up for sale online. I've seen one for $599 already, which isn't bad for launch day.
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

that was a great review. It was interesting to see how it performed. I dont know if its worth 600$. That is a lot of money considering how the x1900xtx beat it or came close to beating it and its a 100$ less.

Again thank you for the review!!! I may even drop my maximum pc mag. yall do so well on reviews here!!!
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

A very sweet card!!!
The only thing I can see wrong is getting an aftermarket cooler for it, but then who would need to overclock it? (stupid question, I know ;))

I wonder what ATI are doing? Does anyone know if they are going ahead with dual GFPU cards?

It was an enjoyable read, thanks Brian!
hainer36
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hainer36 »

at least we now have a reason to buy the 1KW psu from PCP&C, that is if we want these in SLI
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

I dont suppose we could get any power comparison's with the X1900XTX's, I know they're not nearly as 'effecient' but it would be interesting to see all the same.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

DMB2000uk wrote:I dont suppose we could get any power comparison's with the X1900XTX's, I know they're not nearly as 'effecient' but it would be interesting to see all the same.

Dan
a single X1900XTX uses ~30W more under load and the 7950 uses ~13W more when idle....
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

kenc51 wrote:
DMB2000uk wrote:I dont suppose we could get any power comparison's with the X1900XTX's, I know they're not nearly as 'effecient' but it would be interesting to see all the same.

Dan
a single X1900XTX uses ~30W more under load and the 7950 uses ~13W more when idle....
I'll see if I can throw something together on the X1900 Crossfire platform, but I can't run Xfire and SLI on the same ASUS M2N32SLI board so the it would be an apple to orange look at power.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Apoptosis wrote:
kenc51 wrote:

Dan
I'll see if I can throw something together on the X1900 Crossfire platform, but I can't run Xfire and SLI on the same ASUS M2N32SLI board so the it would be an apple to orange look at power.
Remeber the ATI 580 chipset uses alot less power than the Nvidia chipset! So the NV results will be higher!
It might be worth a full write-up on power consumption across various platforms?

An ATI 580 board uses ~25W less than a NV SLI 16X board under load (single card) & upto ~40W idle with C&Q off.

Credit goes to Techreport.com for my data, as I don't have Xfire or a 7950GX2 lying 'round ;)

:also I'm currently reading ALOT about R580 boards! --> Will have one soon:
zachig
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by zachig »

WOW!!! :shock: I was soooooo looking for a review on that one, and I'm glad you have one here as well...and it's also from XFX, which is one of the companies I like the most... :)

Thanks for a wonderful review!!!

I wish I could put my hands on such one... :(
SAMSAMHA
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by SAMSAMHA »

an interesting article from theinquire I think that gfx card is just getting way out of control about the power consuption. it seems like gfx maker will have to start reducing the power consuming but it maybe 2 gen later after current gen's card.
pcrobot
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pcrobot »

Great review on an awesome card!

/me drools all over the keyboard.
werty316
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by werty316 »

A new sweet product is out and BAM dozens and dozens of reviews popup; this would be so sweet to have.
There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.
zachig
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by zachig »

Hmmm...I wonder which site will be the FIRST one to offer the 7950GX2 as a FREE GIVEAWAY prize... :roll: :lol:
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

The first site to get at least 3 of them. All sites will need to keep at least two for future testing.
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Illuminati wrote:The first site to get at least 3 of them. All sites will need to keep at least two for future testing.
For what? QuadSLI?

[-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X

:)
zachig
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by zachig »

Illuminati wrote:The first site to get at least 3 of them. All sites will need to keep at least two for future testing.
I wonder maybe Apoptosis will surprise us... :roll: :mrgreen:
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

kenc51 wrote:
For what? QuadSLI?

[-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X

:)
see this news post: http://www.legitreviews.com/news/2320/
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
Bwall
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bwall »

zachig wrote:
I wonder maybe Apoptosis will surprise us... :roll: :mrgreen:
He's got to get it back from me first!!!! :axe:

Thanks for feedback guys, I'm glad that you all liked the review.

-Brian
pcrobot
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pcrobot »

Dragon_Cooler wrote:Again thank you for the review!!! I may even drop my maximum pc mag. yall do so well on reviews here!!!
I tried both Maximum PC and Computer Power User (CPU) and I liked CPU better. It is more expensive, but a lot less ads. But printed mags can't really compete with Legit Reviews! 8)