Intel Unleashes Conroe: X6800 and E6700 Reviewed

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Intel Unleashes Conroe: X6800 and E6700 Reviewed

Post by Apoptosis »

The long awaited Intel Conroe processor is no longer under NDA! Today we bring you the details, benchmarks, power consumtion figures and overclocking results that you can't wait to see. Come take a look at the Intel Core 2 Duo and the Intel Core 2 Extreme processors and be prepared to see a new performance king!

This chart is my favorite... Each WorldBench test takes about 5 hours to run... This chart has 14 CPU's in it... Here is 70 hours of benchmarking in one chart:

After using Conroe for some time now I feel it is safe to say that Intel has done a great job with Conroe. I usually don't mention specific people when it comes to launch day articles like this, but I believe gamers and enthusiasts around the world need to take a second and thank Bob Valentine and Jack Doweck, who were the lead architects for Conroe. These two are part of the Intel Israel Development Center (IDC) which was made famous for the Pentium M processor. The Intel Core processor family has really nothing to do with the previous pentium 4 family as only the prefetching was carried over from the Pentium 4 processors. Everything else found in Core 2 Duo processos is an evolution of "Yonah" (Core Duo), which was itself an improvement of Dothan and Banias all of which are from the mobile family of processors.
Article Title: Intel Unleashes Conroe: X6800 and E6700 Reviewed
Article Link: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/362/1/

If you like this article be sure to DIGG it here: http://digg.com/hardware/Intel_Unleashe ... 0_Reviewed
Bwall
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bwall »

Awesome review. There you have folks, Conroe is for real!! Now if I could only buy one that wasn't $300 over suggested retail price.
Digital Puppy

Amazing numbers!

Post by Digital Puppy »

Great review Nate!

Those numbers are incredible....better than I imagined Intel could come up with.

My next question though: When is Legit going to give one of those bad boys away! 8)
Just a little puppy trying to make it in a big digital world.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I am trying to get Conroes for the forum members via a contest sponsored by Intel... I've already been asking for weeks!

The last response from Intel was positive...
Hey man.. we are ovversampled out for now.. management is making us turn from giving away to SELLING now, haha! After launch it will be a bit easier, but I won't know until August/Sept..!
Later this summer I'll get some to give out ;)
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

nice review! sux for me liking AMD :(

hardocp had a real world gaming and a real world video review up on their site - dont have the link, but if you want me to post it I will go and find it again. Intel still wins, but it isnt by as much as most people would think, for the gaming anyway. Video compression it just kills amd :(

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

KnightRid wrote:hardocp had a real world gaming and a real world video review up on their site - dont have the link, but if you want me to post it I will go and find it again. Intel still wins, but it isnt by as much as most people would think, for the gaming anyway.
I'm not sure why Kyle did his article like that... It's not really a CPU review as it's more of a GeForce 7950 review... Sure if I crank my video card up to 1600x1200 and run max detail on GRAW with 16x AF I'm going to find all the processors running about the same. That's because the limiting factor will be the GPU. Good thing the majority of gamers don't have an LCD monitor that can even run that high. "real world" might not be the right word for that article.

For example take a look at the Steam survey that over 711,302 gamers took in March of 2006. It found that 94.9% of gamers use resolutions of 1280 x 1024 or lower. To me this shows where real world gamers are playing at on a very grand scale. Even on LR over 90% of the visitiors use 1280 x 1024 or lower on the site.

All of the launch day article are linked here
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Nice!

/Intel wins back the crown again........and it looks like they will hold onto it for thee foreseeable future too........way to go!

You've said it to me enough times......Soo....get some sleep Nate, and or have some :drinkers: .........you deserve it! LOL
Evilsizer
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Evilsizer »

the only problem with the review i see is in the overclocking part. it is well know unless they recently fixed it. That cpu-z does not read the voltage correctly from the conroe cpu. Even so what voltage was used when overclocking conroe? Did yall use any voltage higher then stock? Max safe voltage on air is 1.45v-1.5v, bet that x6800 would clock higher then 3.9ghz if you just stuck with stock voltage.
#1 Abit IP35-Pro | E7200 @ 3.8ghz | G.SKILL 2GBPK-6400 (4gigs) | 4850 512mb | OCZ 520-PS |
#2 Biostar TP43D2A7 | E2140 @ 2.8ghz | G.SKILL 2GBNQ-6400 | XFX 7300GS |
#3 XXX | Celey-L 420 | 512MBx2 Crucial DDR2-533 D9GMH | Voodoo 5 5500 | Aureal Vortex SQ2500 (A3D 2)
#4 Asus N4L-VM DH | T1300E | 2gig Crucial DDR2-667 D9HNL | XFX 8400GS |
#5 Atom 330 | 2gig DDR2-533 | 2400PRO PCI |

"I Love To Camp!"
"Comensing Shock Therapy!"
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Evilsizer wrote:the only problem with the review i see is in the overclocking part. it is well know unless they recently fixed it. That cpu-z does not read the voltage correctly from the conroe cpu. Even so what voltage was used when overclocking conroe? Did yall use any voltage higher then stock? Max safe voltage on air is 1.45v-1.5v, bet that x6800 would clock higher then 3.9ghz if you just stuck with stock voltage.
All processors were run at 1.6Vcore under water cooling for overclocking. I was well aware of the voltage reading issues as Eva2000 and I worked on that nearly a month ago with his beta BIOS's... we spent weeks overclocking these processors and tried many Beta BIOS's for the Bad Axe motherboard and this is all we could get. We've tried overclocking them on several Intel D975XBX motherboards with several different cooling and voltage settings!

That's all she's got captain
Evilsizer
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Evilsizer »

Apoptosis wrote:
Evilsizer wrote:the only problem with the review i see is in the overclocking part. it is well know unless they recently fixed it. That cpu-z does not read the voltage correctly from the conroe cpu. Even so what voltage was used when overclocking conroe? Did yall use any voltage higher then stock? Max safe voltage on air is 1.45v-1.5v, bet that x6800 would clock higher then 3.9ghz if you just stuck with stock voltage.
All processors were run at 1.6Vcore under water cooling for overclocking. I was well aware of the voltage reading issues as Eva2000 and I worked on that nearly a month ago with his beta BIOS's... we spent weeks overclocking these processors and tried many Beta BIOS's for the Bad Axe motherboard and this is all we could get. We've tried overclocking them on several Intel D975XBX motherboards with several different cooling and voltage settings!

o ok, cause i read that page 4 times looking for where you said what voltage was used for overclocking them. only reason i asked, got the feeling that it was just stock volts.
#1 Abit IP35-Pro | E7200 @ 3.8ghz | G.SKILL 2GBPK-6400 (4gigs) | 4850 512mb | OCZ 520-PS |
#2 Biostar TP43D2A7 | E2140 @ 2.8ghz | G.SKILL 2GBNQ-6400 | XFX 7300GS |
#3 XXX | Celey-L 420 | 512MBx2 Crucial DDR2-533 D9GMH | Voodoo 5 5500 | Aureal Vortex SQ2500 (A3D 2)
#4 Asus N4L-VM DH | T1300E | 2gig Crucial DDR2-667 D9HNL | XFX 8400GS |
#5 Atom 330 | 2gig DDR2-533 | 2400PRO PCI |

"I Love To Camp!"
"Comensing Shock Therapy!"
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I'll add that to the article, but nope I wouldn't call using stock volts overclocking.. thats tweaking ;)
pcrobot
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pcrobot »

Awesome review with equally awesome numbers! I like how you mentioned our folding team... hehe more members, possibly! :mrgreen:

I better start looking a lot harder for a job... I'm going to have to buy Conroe after a new mountain bike... :axe:
eva2000
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by eva2000 »

Apoptosis wrote:I was well aware of the voltage reading issues as Eva2000 and I worked on that nearly a month ago with his beta BIOS's... we spent weeks overclocking these processors and tried many Beta BIOS's for the Bad Axe motherboard and this is all we could get. We've tried overclocking them on several Intel D975XBX motherboards with several different cooling and voltage settings!

you should try Intel DCC v2.1.0003 for 1304 bios badaxes..for voltage readings it at least gives what you set in bios i.e. here 1.4v set in bios shows in Intel DCC 1.4v (bios reads = 1.371v)

previous version of Intel DCC didn't work for me using 1304 bios, but this v2.1.0003 works fine :)

Interesting the temps are a bit off for me by 4C between Intel DCC vs Coretemp

Intel DCC shows actual bios option values you set for vcore, vdimm, mch, fsb etc not the actual readings. For example 1.4v vcore in Intel DCC = 1.371v vcore reading in bios.

Load temps dual stressprime