The ATI Radeon X1950XTX Video Card Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

ATI is today launching the Radeon X1950 XTX, which is the world’s first video card using GDDR4 memory. Today Legit Reviews looks at the ATI Radeon X1950 XTX and single card performance to see what's new and how it stacks up against 13 other graphics cards from ATI and NVIDIA. Tomorrow Legit Reviews will be bringing you the Crossfire numbers for those that want to see multi-GPU performance.

Article Title: The ATI Radeon X1950XTX Video Card Review
Article URL: http://legitreviews.com/article/378/1/
Bwall
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bwall »

Whew... :drinkers:

I really like these new ATI cards. The only thing keeping the X1900XTX out of my personal system was the annoyingly loud heatsink.
I think the new heat sink looks great with the polished copper finish and best of all it doesn't pierce my ear drums every time I restart my PC.
Pricing is decent, less than the 7900GTX and reference clocked 7950GX2.

What do you guys think?
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

Looks like a very competatively priced card! I look forward to your other upcoming articles!
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
mister X
Legit User
Legit User

Post by mister X »

very disappointing performance numbers, its as good as the 700 mhz 7900 gtx and in crossfire it even loses from the standard 7900gtx in sli, regarding the price an 7900GX2 costs +- 370 euro and performs a lot better... :lol:

http://techreport.com/reviews/2006q3/ra ... dex.x?pg=8

http://shop.pcc-center.de/product_info. ... s_id/29163

ofcourse on the legireview says the radeon 9600 scores more than a 7900 gtx didnt expect else :lol:
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Very nice, is overclocking going to be attempted, would be interesting to try out ATI's new cooler.

Brian, will we be seeing this card on a core 2 duo rig at all? Wondering if the performance will increase with the CPU being less of a bottleneck.

Can't wait for tommorows review :)

(@mister x: look how the card scales as the resolution increases, as far as single cards goes its very impressive)

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Bwall
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bwall »

DMB2000uk wrote:Very nice, is overclocking going to be attempted, would be interesting to try out ATI's new cooler.

Brian, will we be seeing this card on a core 2 duo rig at all? Wondering if the performance will increase with the CPU being less of a bottleneck.

Can't wait for tommorows review :)

(@mister x: look how the card scales as the resolution increases, as far as single cards goes its very impressive)

Dan
Yes, I'll be doing an overclocking article sometime soon. There are a couple of other articles pending that have to be done first but overclocking these cards is #1 on my list of "things I can't wait to do."

Core 2 Duo is tough right now because we have no Conroe ready SLI board yet and Nathan is hoarding all the sample CPU's we got. :axe:

-Brian
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

wickedld9 wrote:Core 2 Duo is tough right now because we have no Conroe ready SLI board yet and Nathan is hoarding all the sample CPU's we got.
You already own an E6600 and an E6300... you don't need more CPU's from me.
Wifuzzy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Wifuzzy »

mister X wrote:very disappointing performance numbers, its as good as the 700 mhz 7900 gtx and in crossfire it even loses from the standard 7900gtx in sli, regarding the price an 7900GX2 costs +- 370 euro and performs a lot better... :lol:

http://techreport.com/reviews/2006q3/ra ... dex.x?pg=8

http://shop.pcc-center.de/product_info. ... s_id/29163

ofcourse on the legireview says the radeon 9600 scores more than a 7900 gtx didnt expect else :lol:
I love this guy. He quotes 3DMark 06 for his back up on his performance comments and the 7900GX2 is a bulk price..The Asus EN7950GX2 is 519 EUR.
I wonder is he gets paid alot at Nvidia..or is he just a janitor.....J/k
Wifuzzy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

..ooops

Post by Wifuzzy »

Man I really need to use spell check
AgentJ
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by AgentJ »

Damn, those are some sweet FPS numbers.............. too bad I cant afford the damn thing, heh :P

Maybe in 2-3 years... when I get my quad-core... haha.
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

Apoptosis wrote:
wickedld9 wrote:Core 2 Duo is tough right now because we have no Conroe ready SLI board yet and Nathan is hoarding all the sample CPU's we got.

i wanna be an owner of a review site so i can get stuff!!!! LOOLOL

Nice review BTW!!!! How hard will it be(if its even worth it) to do a cheaper build with these newer cards and show test results....Meaning instead of the higher up cpus using like 3800 dual cores and 3200 64 bits proc. Just a thought.

I always see review sites use these ubar killer machines that no one can afford. (yours on this one was great using the 4600) Its just that i would like to see if the product being reviewed will benefit me, not the rich kid with all the ubar money!!!
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

For high end gear to be solely reviewed with mid-range equipment doesn't give the hardware enough chance to shine. We'd have to have two reviews or just a subsection on the main review; "What performance does this give to the average user", the first review (or main one) will be purely analyzing the hardware with other high end components and the second (or subsection) could be a couple of benchmarks with lesser equipment.

But yeah Dragon_Cooler, it is interesting to see how much of a performance difference more mainstream components have on the hardware.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

This is pretty mainstream... We are using a Socket 939 System with a 4800+ processor and DDR1 memory unlike many of the review sites. Heck we are even using the stock heatsink.

Bwall
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bwall »

Dragon_Cooler wrote:
Apoptosis wrote:

i wanna be an owner of a review site so i can get stuff!!!! LOOLOL

Nice review BTW!!!! How hard will it be(if its even worth it) to do a cheaper build with these newer cards and show test results....Meaning instead of the higher up cpus using like 3800 dual cores and 3200 64 bits proc. Just a thought.

I always see review sites use these ubar killer machines that no one can afford. (yours on this one was great using the 4600) Its just that i would like to see if the product being reviewed will benefit me, not the rich kid with all the ubar money!!!
The E6600 and E6300 I bought at full e-tail price from Tiger Direct and Ewiz, no free stuff there!!!!!

Honestly for now there won't be much difference between a 3800+ and a 4800+.
I'll start a post over in the country club where we can discuss the test systems I am thinking of using in the future.
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

yeah, well i remember reading on, i think it was hard ocp, where they had the differance in all the cpus and video cards and cpu really didnt make that much of a differance. But still it would be cool to see.

KEEP THE REVIEWS COMMING!!!!!!