Kingston 2GB K-PEX 100 Portable Media Player Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

The Kingston K-PEX 100 portable media player gives you the ability to make sure that your favorite music videos, recorded TV shows, photos, music or FM radio show is with you all the time. With a 2" brilliant TFT color LCD screen and a high speed USB 2.0 connection for drag-and-drop file moving could the K-PEX be your own personal theater? Read on to find out!

Article Title: Kingston 2GB K-PEX 100 Portable Media Player Review
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/448/
Digital Puppy

Post by Digital Puppy »

Hmm...good review....doesn't seem to bad for $125 bux. Did you find your eyes straining after watching the movies? I'm wondering about the "smallish" screen.
Just a little puppy trying to make it in a big digital world.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Digital Puppy wrote:Hmm...good review....doesn't seem to bad for $125 bux. Did you find your eyes straining after watching the movies? I'm wondering about the "smallish" screen.
Didn't you ever watch a movie on your Treo? Remember this article?
Digital Puppy

Post by Digital Puppy »

Apoptosis wrote:
Digital Puppy wrote:Hmm...good review....doesn't seem to bad for $125 bux. Did you find your eyes straining after watching the movies? I'm wondering about the "smallish" screen.
Didn't you ever watch a movie on your Treo? Remember this article?
Ha!

Yeah....my neck and eyes still hurt! :)

Actually, it wasn't that bad...was thinking that the screen on the Kingston might have been better....
Just a little puppy trying to make it in a big digital world.
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

Very nice review. Looks like top notch player. I'd still perfer the MegaScreen, I like the streamline size.
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

No straining at all except in the neck like in my review. Also kind of like what i said, if you can expect video from a small screen you will be fine. I have never watched movies/videos on a small screen like that before, but i knew video would be small, and i had no problems with it all since the quality was there. The convenience of it made up for just about anything.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Nice job DC!!
BiGg RiE
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

**Good review But....

Post by BiGg RiE »

Hi I've had this player for about 3 months now and have been waiting for a review on it that does this little guy justice. Who'd a guessed that my favorite review site would be the one.

So I guess you're wondering what the BUT is for in the title of this reply...

The review while detailed left no mention of the great option of the expandable miniSD memory slot out side of the configuration options in the begining of the review.

This was a big reason why I chose this player over the Sandisk e250 2GB along with the screen. The fact that I could double my memory was to me extremely important. Now with the realease of the 4GB miniSD cards from companies like Samsung you can triple the memory with the use of the expansion slot.

I even went as far as to call Kingston and ask about compatability and the CSR told me that as long as it is a MiniSD you can use it. That means that when they come out with the 8GB MiniSD's later this year yup you can use'em. This is a lot like PSP owners that have 5 or six Memory Card Duo's loaded with movies but only better & cheaper. Sure the screen can't compare with the PSP's but the price is right. The CSR also told me that you can replace the battery by going to an electronics store and having them open it up, he said they use the standard Lithion batteries which are available in those types of stores. All that holds the back on are 4 small screws.

Something else the review was a little brief on was how to add more games to the unit. It stated that you can add more but didn't explain or link to any instructions like the ones on the firmware update (much appreciated by the way, I need to upgrade my firmware).

All in all the review was good, I can't wait to see the second generation of this device, a firmware that addresses the slow boot time and more playlist options.

This device is great, one of my favorite features is the speaker. I can be listening to it in the car then instead of having to take my head phones out to continue listening upon exiting the whip, I can just unplug it run in the store or what ever and get back in the whip with out missing a beat. How many people sit in the car when you're really enjoying a song and don't want it to end, I do or I used to anyway but no more I can take my music with me.

It's best to watch movies with the head phones unless you are in a noise free environment as the speaker does not hold up in noisy conditions. I went on a trip to texas and loaded every Heroes episode on this thing for the plane ride and drive to and from the airport and got through 8 1hour episodes out of 11 before the battery died on me.

In reference to the charging of the battery you can I repeat can charge it from the wall. I have a plug to usb charger I got with my wifes MP4 iPod nano look-a-like player that works perfectly.

I'd love to see some more prehipheral support for this thing to.

~~BiGg RiE~~
System:
Lian-Li PC-A70A(blk)
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R rev1.0
i7 930 @3.5Ghz
18GB = (3x4GB Gskill)+(3x2GB Gskill) @ 1600Mhz 8-8-8-20-2n
2 x XFX 5770 1GB in x-Fire
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
500GB OS Drive WD 7200RPM 16MB Cache
Cooler Master 750Watt / Thermal Take 250Watt mini (5.25Bay)
37" 1080p LCD / 22" LCD / 19" LCD
Logitech G15
Sicuro 5.1 Surround Sound System
Novint Falcon w/Pistol Grip
Wolf King Trooper

"You must have very big rat, u need Hottori Hanzo's steel."
BiGg RiE
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Also...

Post by BiGg RiE »

Id like to see a listen & charge option. Currently you cant do both, an option like this would prompt me to buy a car lighter to usb adapter.

~~BiGG RiE~~
System:
Lian-Li PC-A70A(blk)
i7 930 @3.5Ghz
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Logitech G15
Wolf King Trooper

Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

The second generation is in the works and from what I understand the device won't come with games any longer. Glad you enjoyed the part on the firmware updating (I took those pics and added that page) as I used the deviced for a bit before I sent the K-PEX to Ben for the article.

Glad you posted your thoughts as it paints a better picture!
BiGg RiE
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by BiGg RiE »

Happy to put in my 2 pennies, by the by, any info on the games installaion on the current gen kpex?

~~BiGg RiE~~
System:
Lian-Li PC-A70A(blk)
i7 930 @3.5Ghz
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Logitech G15
Wolf King Trooper

BiGg RiE
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by BiGg RiE »

kenc51 wrote:Nice job DC!!
Hey Kenc51 long time no uhh :? read. As you can see by my sig, I Got that ram u suggested way back in the socket 939 days :rolleyes:

Kickin @$$ and taking names in, Rainbow Six Vegas lately i tore through Prey too and the motion blur in NFS: Carbon is a beautiful thing, in all it's 1280x1024 fsAAx4 & 16xAF glory.

How ya been?
System:
Lian-Li PC-A70A(blk)
i7 930 @3.5Ghz
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Logitech G15
Wolf King Trooper

kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

BiGg RiE wrote:
kenc51 wrote:Nice job DC!!
Hey Kenc51 long time no uhh :? read. As you can see by my sig, I Got that ram u suggested way back in the socket 939 days :rolleyes:

Kickin @$$ and taking names in, Rainbow Six Vegas lately i tore through Prey too and the motion blur in NFS: Carbon is a beautiful thing, in all it's 1280x1024 fsAAx4 & 16xAF glory.

How ya been?
Welcome back!!!
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

Thank you for your review of my review. LOL Some criticism is always nice. I know i still need some work with this being my second review. LOL

The main reason I didnt add the games portion of it is because, to me it was more of a media player and i wanted to emphasize on that, for i did mention that it does play games. Most anyone who is going to buy this thing would be for its video and mp3 capability and not so much that it plays games. Wrong or right, i am learning. LOL its tough to keep it short enough so that people will actually read it and put enough in there. LOL

The MiniSD portion, you are right on that in that i should have put more emphasis on it. LOL i actually took a nice picture for it too and wanted to add but didnt want to get picture happy. LOL

The battery, i did try to remove the back and it wasnt comming off very easily and i didnt want to break anything before the review. I like to take things apart and share with the community the inards, as most review sites dont do that.

Non the less thank you for your input, it is greatly appreciated!! and Welcome!!

[img]ftp://mulanserving.homeftp.net/KPEX-minisd.jpg[/img]