24 pin power connector question for Asus Crosshair

Discussion about AMD CPU Motherboards
barfly
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

24 pin power connector question for Asus Crosshair

Post by barfly »

I'm getting an Asus Crosshair mobo for my first build and i have a question. In order to use this board a PSU should have a 20+4 pin main power connector, however i need a powerful PSU for a possible SLI setup and they come in 24 pin, so from i heard people use a 20+4 pin to 24 pin adaptor. I also heard somewhere that using these adaptors somehow leads to problems or decreased peformance, i can't remember exactly. Does anyone know anything about this?

I hope i explained everything properly, forgive me if i didnt, this is my first time building and i stillhave much to learn.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

If you're going to shell out the money for a good base system you should use a power supply that has a true 24-pin ATX power connector.

I think you are asking about a 20-pin to 24-pin adapter and while it 'adapts' it doesn't really give the board 'more' power as it just splits the +12V rails again.

Nearly all 24-pin power supplies have more SATA cables and 6-pin PCIe power cables than older 20-pin models. Remember that ATI is coming out with an 8-pin PCIe connector, so if you are an AMD/ATI fanboy you might want to look for one with an 8-pin PCIe connector.
barfly
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by barfly »

Thanks for the reply! Yes, i'm getting a good gaming system based on FX-62 processor, Asus Crosshair, 2 GB of Ram, 2 HD, 2 DVD drives, 2 8800 GTS (1 now, will buy second later), Zalman 9500 AM2, X-FI sound card, Creative Inspre speakers,floppy drive and card reader, 3 case fans, keyboard and mouse. I've been looking at 3 PSUs, i need something that will power the possible SLI setup and be reasonably quiet, so i was thinking: OCZ Game Xstream 850W, Silverstone 850W and Thermaltake Toughpower 850w. The last 2 are 24 pin and OCZ is 20+4 pin. So i guess i'll get one of those 2 then and follow your advice. I really would like to get Silverstone but i dont know if it will fit ito my Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570 case, it is 7.1" long afterall.
amdathlonfx
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by amdathlonfx »

You can use 20-pin PSUs in a 24-pin mobo.No need to use any converter but u should use a 24-pin PSU so that your board get enough stable power.
odie2190
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by odie2190 »

use 24 pin or buy a converter for 6 bucks...

other wise it might fry the mobo, (like what happned to mine)

it will just save u alot of headache's
barfly
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by barfly »

Thanx for the warning, i'll be sure to pick one up if i go with this board.