Corsair XMS Xpert Series

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Corsair XMS Xpert Series

Post by Apoptosis »

New memory from Corsair has arrived!

Article Link

What do you guys think of the new series? Let us know your feedback!
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

These are definately for those who need the bling factor in their rig. Nice review and kudos to Corsair for staying ahead of the pack in innovations although I'd personally rather see those come more in the realm of performance than fashionability.
Joe
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

I think it's a good way to cut down on air flow around the ram and it's already a warm part of the board............ :shock:
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

I think you stumbled upon the next iteration of RAM sticks...mini fans each stick to keep them cool 8-[
Joe
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

LOL... I'm at CES looking at the latest memory solutions both on the show floor and in private meetings and trust me no fans on memory yet!
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

FOR ALL THE WORLD TO SEE...I AM CLAIMING THAT PATENT! :lol:
Joe
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

Thats not exactly true, Abit has their RAM FLOW technology, like the OTES sytem with the mosfets, the RAM Flow cools the RAM on the board. Here is the link.

http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/pro ... &model=239

I think this is the beginning of another trend, like water cooling and all the different blocks, companies are capitalizing on cooling solutions for systems, somre are benficial, some are totally uneeded and are only out to take advantage of what enthusiasts think they might possibly need.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

the best way to do cool the ram would be to use pizio electric fields to create air flow around the sticks by charging the air. that way there are no moving parts and no noise other than the air movement. its the same idea that they have been trying to get to cool cpu's. but it might actualy work for ram as it needs far less cooling than a cpu.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Those little ram blowers have been out for a while now, can't remember the name ........... :shock: Seem kind of usless to me if you have good air flow in your case. But as you all know, some people will buy anything.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

which was my point. some of these companies are capitalizing on peoples ignorance. Yes, temperatures do affect performance, but to what extent do you need to cool components? Ram has worked just fine up until now without any cooling or passive cooling, but companies want peiople to spend more money. my issue with this is say you buy the Ram coolers, then 4 case fans, then CPU fan, then then PSU fan, next thing you know you need a 650W PSU, and your case sounds like a damn 747 taxiing down the runway!
People, invest in a good CPU cooling solution, be it water, or high end air, put a couple high CFM fans in your case, at least one each intake/exhaust, clear case clutter by zip tying your wires and using rounded cables,, use a good thermal paste, and you should be fine.
Its great to experiment different configurations to maximize cooling, try different products, but you really need to use extreme cooling if you have a warm room, are a gamer, or a mad scientist who likes to O/C.
BTW, I'm currently working on an article about overclocking, types of O/Cing, who does it and why. I wanted to do something to show the differences (O/Cing for max overclock versus O/Cing for max performance). I think alot of people maybe surprised to see that performance and overclocking are not parallel and sometimes trying to squeeze every last tick doesn't correlate to an equal increase in performance
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

capper5016 wrote: BTW, I'm currently working on an article about overclocking, types of O/Cing, who does it and why. I wanted to do something to show the differences (O/Cing for max overclock versus O/Cing for max performance). I think alot of people maybe surprised to see that performance and overclocking are not parallel and sometimes trying to squeeze every last tick doesn't correlate to an equal increase in performance
Ain't that the truth......... :shock: I get max performance (acording to benchmarks) at a lower FSB (HTT) than my my max by somewhere around 20-25 MHz on the FSB (HTT). And the system just seems faster when I leave it at 250 with the HTT multi at 4x instead of having to drop it to 3x for a 265-275 HTT.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

which is why I'm working on this article. I think there is a big misconception that the farther you push your system, the better performance you will see. I've tried to tell people before that all systems have their "sweet spot", somewhere where the performance basically peaks..... you might get a little higher FSB, but the trade off in temps and actual performance really aren't worth the hassle.
For example, i see people drop the multi on an AMD chip to 8-9 (3500+/3800+), and jack up the FSB. they do this to get every last bit out of the memory, at the cost of not maximizing the CPU. raise the multi one or two, drop the FSB, run benches and experiment until you find the optimal trade off for your system. which leads me to another misconception, not every system is the same, different components will affect system performance in different ways (memory timings,etc)So everyones system is unique, although you can make a geeneralization as to what to expect (which is my job here). But it bothers me, and sometimes makes me feel bad when people expect to see exactly what I get from my testing, or they exceed what I achieve, then question my results. Ten people could run tests on exactly the same types of systems and each get different results.
T-Shirt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by T-Shirt »

infinitevalence wrote:the best way to do cool the ram would be to use pizio electric fields to create air flow around the sticks by charging the air. that way there are no moving parts and no noise other than the air movement. its the same idea that they have been trying to get to cool cpu's. but it might actualy work for ram as it needs far less cooling than a cpu.
Introducing lots of free electrons around your RAM (one of the most static sensitive components) would probably not be a good idea :roll:
T-Shirt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by T-Shirt »

I think a thin heat pipe built in to the heat sinks leading to a copper fin and let convection do it's thing would work well
demosthenes
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by demosthenes »

We were sure that Corsair took out a patent on the LED technology, but it turns out that Corsair CEO Andy Paul did not want Corsair to turn into a patent company. Looks like Andy Paul changed his mind about obtaining a patent with the Corsair XMS Xpert series and for good reason.
That would have been a waste of effort since activity LEDs have been commonly used since the 1970ies, which means that even if Corsair had managed to get a patent on it, the patent would have never held up in any court.

On a sidenote, there are no patents issued to Corsair at this point, not even anything that is in the queue and has been published. At the same time, the message LED appears to have a very strong technical similarity to US patent 5,742,777 (and a number of others that are covering similar display devices).

All in all, it appears as if there is an unhealthy amount of misinformation regarding patentability and patents in general and patents assigned to Corsair in particular, maybe the author should go back and clarify these points.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

Welcome to the forums o demonsthenes, the tech god of patient information.

--- not a flame rather a friendly taunting :)
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Welcome to the forums demonsthenes. Here is a response direct straight from Corsair Memory!
Xpert is clearly an innovative product that diverges in many ways from any memory module ever built. Corsair has filed for patents on various aspects of the Xpert technology. At this point we are not at liberty to discuss which pieces of the technology will be patented.
To go more in depth they have filed for patents and as I'm sure you know they take time to be entered into the database.
demosthenes
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by demosthenes »

Thank you very much for the clarification
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

hey no problem! Thanks for reading the article and letting us know your thoughts. We can only get better with reader feedback!