Anyone is tempted to get a mac?

A place to talk about all things mobile
dkarko
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by dkarko »

Macs are ok, definately overrated. Their fans attitude is the problem..
Anyway, they do have their share of problems anyway. Dont believe in ads! Macbook pros are frypans. First builds reached 90C+ and were very noisy. Add this to the alluminium base and you fry legs and harddisks :p
I see them as trendy computers nothing more.
By the way osx is great but again greatly overrated in terms of security ( a look in secunia will persuade you), but again it is much more simple to use than windows.

A macbook though is a nice small laptop. I dont see anything bad there.
But anyway, now you can always run OSX on a pc if you want. It doesnt even ask for a serial :P .

Anyway, if someone wants an alternative to the "bad big nasty nazi microsoft (with tons of sarcasm)" then linux is the way since its truely open source. If you just want something different (without bragging about it) or work on publishing etc then i guess a mac.
wildlaser
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by wildlaser »

no no no, no mac! please no! unless it's mac salad! then yes

I stick with what I know unless there is REAL GOOD reason to switch....

all my software and knowledge is on pc
skier

Post by skier »

i will never want a mac Laptop, in Maine, in middle school we get them free to use for 7th & 8th grade, they constantly make you want to throw them out the window, although they do take quite a beating(about six feet down onto a concrete floor) not even the octocore Mac Pro, that thing is pointless
Last edited by skier on Thu May 31, 2007 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

I'd take one, if it was free, that would be an SMP folding beast
skier

Post by skier »

the octo core? cuz that thing is baseline at $2500
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
dkarko
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by dkarko »

The 8 core mac and pc platforms seem poor in performance to me. I saw somewhere a benchmark of the 8core mac gave a scaling factor of about 50%! Even the quad core intels suffer in performance scaling but not as much, they are supposed to be limited by the fsb and get bottlenecked :(.

I remember the first benchmarks of Q6700, it performed much less than double than E6700 in SMP.

Buy a ps3, play games and fold :p:p:p:p
"Παν ΜέτÏ
pastorjay
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by pastorjay »

Hehe... most of these responses are funny...

I have a 17" MacBook Pro and love it to death. I run Windows only so I can use IE7 to do my reviews here. Otherwise, I have not booted into Windows for anything. Is it better than Windows? That is up to you to decide. Battery life is much better on my Mac than any other 17" Windows laptop I have seen. It is lighter, thinner and faster due to not as much bloat in the OS and add-ons (like virus software). The only thing I miss is the pretty blue-screen I used to get on my Dell 1705 (which I still have for sale by the way if anyone wants it).

Will I own another Windows machine? Oh sure, it is bound to happen once OSX can be put on one! :lol:
Dano523
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Dano523 »

Too funny, I have a G3 power book that I run Linux on when I'm not using widows on the Asus.

Bottom line is if your company uses windows, then you will do well with a compatible machine running the same software/OS. On the other hand, if given a choice, open source is the way to go if you don't what to shell out more money on software than what the machine is worth. Yea, a lot of schools use Mac’s and you can get a huge discount on programs that way, but when you hit the real world, the Mac machine may turn into a Linux unit just to keep it alive since most companies are still of the big blue mindset.

Remember, most Microsoft/Cad/Office programs are OS specific, and if the company is going to supply you with the programs to run on the machine, it's going to need to run the specific OS to load the software.
dkarko
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by dkarko »

The new macbook pro seems good. It also seems it doesnt have the overheating problem of the older series. I hope it doesnt have any of the other problems/malfunctions either. Very expensive as usual but beautiful.
"Παν ΜέτÏ
Kougar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Anyone is tempted to get a mac?

Post by Kougar »

SAMSAMHA wrote:now with mac is able to run windows via boot camp, are there anyone who is kind of tempted to buy a mac laptop with core duo inside. I have to say, I am really tempted as I think mac got one of the best looking notebook but it's just so damn expensive.
I'm afraid I'm not. I've heard or seen more than one problem with Macbook Pros, and for the price they ask for one it's simply unacceptable. While removing plastic dustguards from the fan vents that were mistakingly left in is an easy enough fix, getting a new paintjob from flaking or discolored paint isn't and I am not sure how well or if they completely fixed those issues. Also these laptops run very warm to just plain hot, even with the recent BIOS and driver updates.

Don't get me wrong I have nothing against using a Macbook Pro, but I can get much better bang for my buck (or much better quality for the same bucks) elsewhere. :rolleyes:
Core i7 920 @ 4.2GHz 1.36v
Gigabyte GA-X58-UD5
Under Water
dkarko
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Re: Anyone is tempted to get a mac?

Post by dkarko »

I agree, macbook pros have alot of problems for their price range. Problems that should not be in quality series. Funny enough the plain macbook is much more stable. What should worry buyers the most is that Apple usually denies the flaws and therefore to fix them covering the cost, or fix them at all! A tactic that is very "low" for a company that wants to advertise herself as the mother of service (at least thats what i get all the time by a macfan friend of mine) and whats worse is that it also follows the same tactic when it comes to critical security updates posted by analysts to Apple, alot of times passing them as a plain updates and without crediting the authors and hiding the vurnability, essential since it has to be alien tech secured.

I believe everyone should look here:
http://www.appledefects.com
a wiki of known defects (mostly for macbook pros) before buying one, and plus search for "apple online petition" in google to see what actually alot of people are going through and how the godly Apple and the king himself Sir Jobs probably thinks about the good loyal "m$ rebel, linux wooing + ""unix"" worshipping" -"buying iStock"-

(I still think though macbook (plain) and macpro are good buys, but i find the first not catchy to the eye, there are alot of better-same-or worse laptops with better looks )

By the way, bootcamp wont be free if i am correct. When leopard comes out, you either have it "prebought" with leopard or you buy it for older versions. But dont forget that you were actually beta testing the best of both world and there were people with DAMAGED macs because of that (i believe corrupted EFI or something) which of course Apple denied to repair in guarantee since its beta (logical, but i bet these people wont say best of both worlds anymore).

And finally, with some careful hardware selection (with the most compatible motherboard to an imac being an asrock of the 50eur price range) you can have almost 100% compatibility in OSX (i was running in at a PC P4 with an Radeon 9600pro, but it wast the msot compatible config).
And one more thing, if Apple wanted people to have the best of both worlds they would ATLEAST allow OSX to be virtualized! They just want to sell more more more, thats what they do, and marketing is where they rule!