MoBo will not boot

Discussion about AMD CPU Motherboards
JohnMc
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

MoBo will not boot

Post by JohnMc »

I have a Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW-P gifted to me. Dual Athlon MPs.

I have on the bench right now prior to mounting in the case. If I power it up the CPU fans kick in for about 5 sec then stop. A red led comes on. Never get to the post or Bios stage on the screen.

Anyone have any exposure to this board that might be able to explain what's wrong?

Thanks!
JohntechUPi
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by JohntechUPi »

I have not seen that MB, but that might suggest a gounding or power problem if I remember correctly.
I would try the MB out of the case with one CPU and one moduel and the Video card. Is your Video Card externally powered and do you have a PSU that meets the spec of the MB with all of the connectors connected?
One-liner about business
Producing a system from a specification is like walking on water; it's easier if it's frozen.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Did some quick searching and found little info on the board itself, so lets go over the basics.

Are you sure the chips/HSF are seated correctly?
What ram are you using? Registered (ECC) or unregistered(Non-ECC)? This is a server board it may need to that the registered ram.
Do you have anything that can test all your parts in to rule out the board being dead?

EDIT
Went and googled just the board number and got this

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php ... 0&t=432166

The specs some of the guys are listing for thier machines all have ECC ram listed. That could be your issue if your ram is Non-EEC, do you know anyone that would have some you can try in it?
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
JohntechUPi
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by JohntechUPi »

Yep bubba is corrrect it looks like this MB takes PC-2100 Registered ECC memory or Unbuffered PC-2100 memory. What is the part# of the modules you are using?
One-liner about business
Producing a system from a specification is like walking on water; it's easier if it's frozen.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

If your RAM is not registered, here is what you need -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... 00&x=0&y=0

Here is what I have and not I'm using anymore, I'll let go real cheap just to get it out of my parts box. Should down clock to the 2100 rate.

I have 2 1gb kits (2x512), had them in the FS section, looks like they got pruned. I was asking $50.00 a kit

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
JohnMc
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by JohnMc »

Gentlemen, thanks for the suggestions.

- MoBo is already out of the case as I suspected a grounding problem. That was true because before I pulled it I got no reaction from the system at all. At least I get some recognition now.

- I pulled all but one stick of memory and reseated the single stick. Still no go.

- I pulled and swapped CPU's around. Still no go.

- The memory I purchased is Kingston PC-2100 ECC registered memory. 4, 1Gb sticks.

- Video card is a nVidia MX4000 AGP card. It does does work as I put it in another system and it lights up a display just fine.

- Power supply is a HEC500TD-TF 500w universal.

Any other ideas??
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Have you tested with one CPU as JohntechUPi mentioned?
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

yup, try 1 chip and 1 stick of ram, looks like the system can do regular ddr as well, could try and stick some in the std ddr slot see if it comes to life that way.

also do you have the CPU frequency jumper set correctly? page 14 in the manual.
-Thomas Jefferson
JohnMc
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by JohnMc »

bubba, ken, johntech,

- Pulled all the memory but 1 stick.

- Tried it with only 1 processor. Even swapped processors and sockets with the processors.

- Also tried moving the frequency jumper bubba. (Excellent suggestion)

Still nothing.

I will try swapping some different ram in and see it there is any change.

Thanks for the ideas guys!
JohntechUPi
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by JohntechUPi »

If that does not work I would see if the MB maker has any warranty left on the MB. Also what CPU's are you using?
One-liner about business
JohnMc
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by JohnMc »

Processors are AMD 2200 MP's.

I figure the warranty is long gone on the MoBo. Its a Ver 1.0 which puts it about 2002 or 2003 manufacture date.
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

sure the PSU works?
Tracy
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Re: MoBo will not boot

Post by Tracy »

Oh please - tell me something good on this thread! I have much invested interest in this one!

When I first built my dual-proc system with this board many years ago, I had this exact problem occur. GIGABTYE sent me a replacement and everything was kosher. Now, the mobo is doing the same thing and I have some very important stuff to do on this computer!

Please advise!
JohntechUPi
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Re: MoBo will not boot

Post by JohntechUPi »

This chipset was problem matic to manufacture as I remember and normall when they worked they worked well but when they did not it was cut and dry. I would suggest testing the CPU's in any socket A MB just to be sure they are working. To bad cause I just got rid of a Dual Socket A ASUS MB.
One-liner about business