IronKey Secure USB Flash Drive Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

IronKey Secure USB Flash Drive Review

Post by Apoptosis »

With built in hardware encryption, a waterproof case and a host of security oriented features, the IronKey USB Flash Drive features the latest in hardware encryption technology. The encryption keys used to protect your data are generated by a FIPS 140-2 compliant True Random Number Generator on the IronKey Cryptochip, which means this is hardware encryption! Read on to see if the IronKey is tough enough to protect your private data!

The security on this drive is clearly second to none. Anyone business owner that deals with sensitive information really should consider these drives. If there is a even a slim chance that the data could be stolen or lost this is the drive for you. With security breaches and lost data from companies and even our own governments its possible that electronic companies are now pushing themselves into a direction that will make IronKey the gold standard for other companies to look up to.
Article Title: 1GB IronKey USB Flash Drive With Hardware Encryption
Article URL: http://legitreviews.com/article/555/1/
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: IronKey Secure USB Flash Drive Review

Post by Illuminati »

Very cool article... I also liked how you dunked it in water to test the water proofing... I assume it passed the test?
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

Oh yeah it still works. Its my school drive so it better. I use to transfer files from one computer to another.
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

It seems this one blows the other brands out of the water (pun intended :P ). While I'm sure it can still be hacked, it really gives the hacker very little room for error. Not only would the hacker have to bypass the password and encryption protection, they would need to insure they don't trip any of the tamper protection...not to mention just getting inside the drive without destroying it. I'd definitely consider one because only a select few people could get to your files, which will be true no matter what the technology is, and it just looks awesome. Though I would like to see the cord attached to the main body of the drive rather than the cap, as I'm rather good at losing the cap. All in all, nice review dicecca.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Alathald wrote:I'm rather good at losing the cap.
Me too man... I have a ton of caps... I didn't notice that when I read through it, but now that you point that out I have... If you ever have it on a key chain and get it snagged on something and pull you might lose the drive instead of the cap... minor design flaw.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Alathald, the cord is attached to the body already:

Quite clear in that pic ^_^

@Matt: The secure browsing, is that basically running portable firefox from the USB drive, while getting every page to go through something like a secure proxy?

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

No proxy, basically it stores all the files on the thumb drive. So all the cookies and temporary cache files that Mozilla creates it stores there. It also stores all your passwords. I have a feeling that it somehow connects to the password file that Firefox creates and has in interface that when you go to a website it creates a link and then inputs all your info.

And yup the lanyard is attached to the body of the thumb drive. And the cap is lined with a rubber that makes the fit really tight, your not gonna lose this cap if you put it on the drive. Now if you lose it after you take it off to use the drive, well they can't help you there
PAH
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by PAH »

Regarding running Linux from the Ironkey... Were you able to add the boot files on the "read-only / CD" part of the drive so you can power on a PC and boot straight to the ironkey, or do you need to boot into a supported OS to unlock the ironkey, and then reboot from the encrypted area?

Thanks,

Pete
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

I've wanted one of these for a long time, I just can't justify the huge cost.
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

PAH wrote:Regarding running Linux from the Ironkey... Were you able to add the boot files on the "read-only / CD" part of the drive so you can power on a PC and boot straight to the ironkey, or do you need to boot into a supported OS to unlock the ironkey, and then reboot from the encrypted area?

Thanks,

Pete
Honestly I don't remember because its been so long (over a year). And I don't have the drive anymore it was given to a friend who needed a drive for school.