Fall IDF 2007 - Intel Skulltrail System Preview

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Intel had no less than four fully configured 'SkullTrail' test systems on display during the Intel Developer Forum and while there was a gag order on the performance numbers, Intel allowed Legit Reviews to take all the pictures we wanted of the test systems and the motherboard itself. Read on to see what the future of V8 computing means for gamers and enthusiasts.

A SkullTrail system like this one is more likely what will be shipping in months to come, but even it has two cooling loops. One cooling loop and 120mmx480mm radiator for the GeForce 8800 series video cards and another cooling loop with a second 120mm x 480mm radiator is on the other side for the two 3.4GHz Harpertown processors that were used on this demo system.

Article Title: Fall IDF 2007 - Intel Skulltrail System Preview
Article URL: http://legitreviews.com/article/568/1/
Digital Puppy

Re: Fall IDF 2007 - Intel Skulltrail System Preview

Post by Digital Puppy »

=P~ x 10

I think I'm ready to switch to Intel....
Just a little puppy trying to make it in a big digital world.
HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by HONkUS »

I think I just creamed my pants a little.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

:drool:

must win lotto ](*,)
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Those cooling setups are insane!

Who needs a heater when you have that monster superheating the room!

They really do leave me speechless... :drool:

Dan

Now to go sell all my organs on the black market to afford one of these
Image (<- Clickable)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Just got this from NVIDIA:
INTEL SKULLTRAIL PLATFORM FEATURES NVIDIA SLI TECHNOLOGY

NVIDIA nForce 100 Media and Communications Processors Provide An Exciting SLI-Ready Platform for Intel Customers

· Intel demonstrated its new “Skulltrail” motherboard at this week’s Intel Developers Forum in San Francisco, CA. Skulltrail is a dual-socket motherboard that is targeted at ultra-high-end desktop enthusiasts and workstation customers.
· The Skulltrail motherboard uses Intel's workstation “Stoakley” chipset designed for 2P CPU operation (1P configurations are not supported).
· To enable NVIDIA SLI support, Intel has purchased NVIDIA nForce 100 SLI MCPs from NVIDIA.
· The NVIDIA nForce 100 MCP converts a single x16 PCI Express Gen 1 bus into dual x16 PCI Express Gen 1 buses. This is how SLI is being supported on Skulltrail.
· NVIDIA assisted Intel in the bring-up and testing of the Skulltrail motherboard which was publicly demonstrated at the Intel Developers Forum in San Francisco this week.
· NVIDIA SLI technology is the world’s leading multi-GPU platform, allowing multiple NVIDIA GeForce graphics processing units (GPUs) to work together, resulting in scalable performance.
· Intel has not licensed SLI technology from NVIDIA. Intel purchased NVIDIA nForce 100 MCPs to enable support for SLI.
· Skulltrail is the only Intel motherboard which will feature NVIDIA SLI support. Intel is not using the NVIDIA nForce 100 MCP on any other chipsets, including X38.
· For other 1P segments of the Intel market, NVIDIA has a wide variety of SLI products already available, including the leading nForce 680i SLI MCP for enthusiasts and gamers.
· Skulltrail motherboards will only be available directly from Intel.
It better explains how SLI works and that it is the only Intel board for now that will support SLI. Just thought I'd share.
leexgx
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by leexgx »

need to lose FB-DIMM use DDR3 both are pricy but DDR3 will be better option later on (and alot less watts and Heat)

has there been any tests with FB-DIMM to see how thay work with game performace