Ultra Aluminum Hard Drive Cooler Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Is your hard drive getting a little toasty? Don’t want to add another fan to your system because it's loud or will not fit? The Ultra Aluminum Hard Drive Cooler with Heatpipes is said to dissipate heat efficiently and quietly. With passive thermal heat dissipation using fan-less operation, high-performance sintered powder heatpipes and top heatsink fins this cooler should help. Read on if to see if it is right for your build and if it even works.

The aluminum hard drive cooler from Ultra is not just eye candy and, as stated on the box, it is highly efficient. The cooler preformed better than I thought it would and in doing it should extend the life of the drive thanks to the lower temperatures. The performance comes at a price though, the MSRP for the cooler is $43, now granted, for that amount of money you're getting a nice part that looks as good as it performs. With a little shopping you should be able to find it for less as PriceGrabber has them starting at $19.99 thanks to a $5 rebate.

Article Title: Ultra Aluminum Hard Drive Cooler Review
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/606/1/
Pricing At Time of Print: $19.99 plus shipping
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ultra Aluminum Hard Drive Cooler Review

Post by DMB2000uk »

Well I'm impressed that it works better being passive than using a fan without it.

It's just a shame that you have to lose a 5 1/2 bay to use it, which is not an option in my current case.

Shane, is the drive sound dampening system on the ultra the same or better than the antec rubber mounts in the P190?

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

My Seagate drives dont seem to get too hot, would have been nice to have a few years back to cool some Deathstars though.... :lol:

i like it though....
:drinkers:
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

DMB2000uk wrote:Well I'm impressed that it works better being passive than using a fan without it.

It's just a shame that you have to lose a 5 1/2 bay to use it, which is not an option in my current case.

Shane, is the drive sound dampening system on the ultra the same or better than the antec rubber mounts in the P190?

Dan

I couldn't tell the difference between the two. Both a way better then just having the drive mounted in a cage with out rubber mounts.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
FrozenAsset
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by FrozenAsset »

Anyone care to take exact measurements of the cooler. Side plate and Top plate exact dimensions?

I own a Lian Li PC-S80 case. It has space for 5 hard drives mounted horizontally with the interface oriented towards the left part of the case. It comes with aluminum hard drive covers, but they don't make very good contact with the top of the hard drives. The machining just isn't typical Lian Li quality, and some are concave.

I would love to purchase 4 of these, but want to know how much modification I'll need to do on drive chassis.

bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Sure can

Just the heat sink is 4-13/16W x 5-9/16L x 1-11/16H

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
FrozenAsset
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by FrozenAsset »

Thank you very much for the measurements, these are extremely useful.
beta212
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by beta212 »

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I was recently looking for a hdd cooler and this turned out to be one of the 2 passive ones I found. Odd thing was, the 2 coolers seemed very similar. The one I found on a Chinese web site Image Image The one I found here that is manufactured by Ultra Image Image A close examination reveals that they are identical, only the screw positions are inverted in the images, which is probably due to the position the image was taken. I'm suspecting that the 2 coolers could be by one manufacture---deepcool in China, anybody can confirm this by the packaging closer examination of the ultra packaging? If them are indeed the same, I'll go and have my friend who is currently in china buy it for me because he tells me it's only the equivalent of 15 bucks over there.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I'd buy it as it's highly likely that it's the same product... You don't see too many companies making fake sub $20 products as it isn't worth the time or effort to make all the manufacturing tools. Ultra is also known to buy products and slap their name on them with a sticker.

Also check out ebay here in the United States... They have one ending today for $0.99 with $12 shipping - http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0 ... er&_sop=15
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
INeedAFnSuffix
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by INeedAFnSuffix »

I wouldn't be too surprised, Deepcool is a massive OEM for many many many companies.
They really know their ****
beta212
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by beta212 »

Wow thanks, I'll give the ebay link a try.