Foxconn X38A Motherboard Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

The Foxconn X38A motherboard is the flagship Intel LGA775 board from Foxconn. This motherboard supports the latest industry technologies - Intel Core 2 Quad and Core 2 Duo processors, and DDR3 1333MHz memory. With Foxconn Combo Memory capability, both DDR3 and DDR2 memory are supported on this motherboard, which means you can upgrade your memory without changing your motherboard. Read on to see how it works!

You can also note the different colored expansion ports here. A very nice little cosmetic touch added by Foxconn, that makes locating different ports and plugins an easier task. It works like a built in hardware installation for dummies feature. The chipset cooling duties are handled by the passive heatpipe coolers. If you intend on accomplishing a large OC, it would probably be wise to make use of the included fan, as the heatsink shroud on the Northbridge prevents good airflow, unless it’s at a sideways angle.
Article Title: Foxconn X38A Motherboard Review
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/619/1/
Pricing At Time of Print: $239.99
maj0r_pawnage
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Foxconn X38A Motherboard Review

Post by maj0r_pawnage »

ddr2 and ddr3 D:
E6300 @ 3.51GHz 1.392v
Asus Maximus Formula
Antec 550Watt Psu
Mushkin DDR-1206@ 5-5-5-15 / 2.28v
Zalman CPU Cooler CNPS7700
6408800GTS(OC 691MHz Core/2.132GHz Mem)
2x80mm case fans +2x120mm case fans
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

yeah it's pretty crazy to see six memory slots on a board!
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

There's several companies out there that allow the use of either DDR2 or DDR3 on their boards, mainly on their mid level boards though (P35 chisets)............... 8)
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Who's Wes and has he reviewed for us before? :P

The new graph style gave it away ^_^

Nice job dude.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

DMB2000uk wrote:Who's Wes and has he reviewed for us before? :P

The new graph style gave it away ^_^

Nice job dude.

Dan
He was new and was on a probationary period here to become a staff writer and this article and his one on the ECS A770M-A Socket AM2+ motherboard were two boards I had sent to him to try him out. Sadly, I couldn't extend a position to him and he has moved on to another site.
maj0r_pawnage
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by maj0r_pawnage »

i wonder how stable it would be lol

when OCing :P, whoops just saw the OC part of the review lol, did you try to drop the multi and see how far the fsb could go?
E6300 @ 3.51GHz 1.392v
Asus Maximus Formula
Antec 550Watt Psu
Mushkin DDR-1206@ 5-5-5-15 / 2.28v
Zalman CPU Cooler CNPS7700
6408800GTS(OC 691MHz Core/2.132GHz Mem)
2x80mm case fans +2x120mm case fans
Wwhat
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Wwhat »

Strange question perhaps but is it me or are some parts of the heatsink(s) actually aluminium painted to look like copper? or some amalgamation of copper and aluminium? it just looks a bit off on the pictures.
Last edited by Wwhat on Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Wwhat wrote:Strange question perhaps but is it me or are some parts if the heatsink(s) actually aluminium painted to look like copper? or some amalgamation of copper and aluminium? it just looks a bit off on the pictures.
I don't have the board in front of me, but I don't think the covers over the heat sink are copper.
Wwhat
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Wwhat »

Are there easy ways to test what a metal is? apart from magnetism, that won't work with copper vs aluminium.
I always wondered, because it is done on a regular basis that they paint aluminium in a copper color, or make some sort of copper/aluminium amalgamation because scratching it doesn't work to expose it, it's the same color all the way in I found when I had it on a MSI gfx card cooler once, which definitely was not copper.
I guess the weight is telling but then you'd have to remove it and compare it to something of the same size, or dip it in some water to determine its volume and then calculate the expected weight if it were copper or aluminium .
Someone should release a small device for reviewers and consumer protection to test it, perhaps using a very sensitive conduction tester, although you'd expect that existed already, surely there's many instances where officials have to test such things.
I read that the US military have standards for copper purity on printed circuits and in weapons, but also have some issue finding the perfect test I seem to gather, seems there is a reflective test that's used and a conductive test and a acid test, but precise details are harder to find. It seems they need to test a lot though to prevent 'cheating' by manufacturers.
Excuse my ramblings but I do wonder.