HOWTO: Fix a Corrupted HAL.DLL file

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: HOWTO: Fix a Corrupted HAL.DLL file

Post by stev »

CrashMaster wrote:I would have solved the HAL.dll error in a different way though. First downloading a proper non-corrupt version from the http://www.DLL-Files.com & then booting into a command prompt & copying the good file to replace the bad file.I did it earlier & it works. :)

Other than the HAL.DLL file, I've had issues with other DLL's that can't be updated when windows is running. So, like you had mentioned, booting to the command prompt or booting from a Win98SE Startup disk does the trick for me to get in to fix the problem.
AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights
chrishandyman
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by chrishandyman »

My PC wont stay powered on long enough for me to get through the win xp install. it is a laptop. does this mean i have bigger problems. does anyone have any suggestions?
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

chrishandyman wrote:My PC wont stay powered on long enough for me to get through the win xp install. it is a laptop. does this mean i have bigger problems. does anyone have any suggestions?
Create a new thread, so we don't have to hijack this one, and list your specs and a bit more detail about your problem. Then I'll be happy to help.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Toddster
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Toddster »

Tech_Greek wrote:Easy fix.

1) Pull the HD out of the 'hal.dll' corrupted HD and hook it into a computer with the SAME OS (OEM, Retail, Home, Pro, etc)
2) Find the hal.dll on your current WORKING computer with same OS
3) Copy it to the secondary HD that has the corrupted hal.dll in the same locationh and plug it back in.

Three Steps
I can handle step 1, but can you break down 2 and 3, please?
Where's Nick Burns when you need him?
W1llyW1lz
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by W1llyW1lz »

Alright This did not work for me... Maybe someone can tell me a solution, I installed windows into a differant directory /WINXP and then I copied the HAL.DLL into the /WINDOWS directory and restarted the machine and then it didn't have a pick for me to select the old windows system had me a little worried. So I then checked the boot file and rewrote using help from this website http://faq.programmerworld.net/ms_windo ... ndows.html and got the old windows to be selected but when I select it, it gives me the same HAL.DLL error. I tried to copy and replace it multiple times but always get the same error #-o help
mackaypei
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by mackaypei »

THANKS DO MUCH!! The tradition of the original internet lives on helping one another ..this work around saved me a lot of time. :) :)
selector007
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by selector007 »

I have completely formatted my hard drive installed winxp again but i still get the missing hal.dll error? Any ideas?
walrock10
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by walrock10 »

selector007 wrote:I have completely formatted my hard drive installed winxp again but i still get the missing hal.dll error? Any ideas?
You should run a registry scanner/repair tool for such errors.
Details here: http://dllrepairs.com/dll-fix/?file=hal
FTR
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by FTR »

Hello All,

This is my situation:
I have Windows XP Media Center Edition on a Toshiba laptop. I was playing music on Media Player when everything froze. I tried to End Task in Windows Task Manager but nothing was working so I just hit the power button and shut the computer down.
After restarting, I received this error message:
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll
Please reinstall a copy of the above file.

I have a Toshiba Recovery and Installations/Drivers Disc and the only option it gives me is to do a complete reinstall, which will erase my files. This is not an option because I need the files.

I also have a Windows XP Home Disc. When I boot from this disc I get this error message:
file pci.sys is corrupt.
Press any key to continue.

This is where I am stuck.

Can anyone assist?

I need step by step instructions as to how to resolve this without losing my files.

Added Note:
I have also switched out my harddrives and made this internal harddive my external harddrive, which does nothing more than show-up in My Compter after my system struggles to recognize it. However, I am still unable to gain access to it.
theplayer13299
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by theplayer13299 »

Hi,

I carried out the procedure you provided, I can't tell you if it worked or not because so far nothing good has happened. When I boot up I do not get the option of the two windows (windows and winxp). It logs into the winxp version. Can you tell me how to delete winxp? I think this may be a place to start.

I think I may need to bite the bullet and overwrite the hard drive, the system keeps telling me to validate this version of xp.

Thanks in advance for your help.

p.s. on a different note, I read another procedure to cure the hal.dll issue and it states to copy the hal.dll from the windows\i386 folder then overwrite the hal.dll in the windows\system 32.
MCQC
Legit User
Legit User

Post by MCQC »

thanks , It really worked great for me.
audreygreen
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by audreygreen »

I personally don't know how to fix a corrupted hal.dll file in particular...I mean, there's so many dlls, and it's kind of lame to think of a fix for each...but yeah, this step by step tutorial is really great. :) But what about the other dlls. What if we can't find a guide to deal with like Officeav.dll, for example. Is there a general way to fix them? From what I know, there are tools out there, that work by scanning your pc...then from there, it will automatically repair any dll problem it has detected. How's the repair mechanism, that I do not know. #-o

[post edited to remove link to software, although the software was not malware, it's in breach of site rules]
Audrey
Kevin117
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Kevin117 »

selector007 wrote:I have completely formatted my hard drive installed winxp again but i still get the missing hal.dll error? Any ideas?

Have/had this problem. Tried everything. Ready to wipe the disk. Tried this in desperation. It Worked!

My setup. Two partitions on disk, dual boot, XP Prof & XP Prof. Partition 2 gets the Hal.dll error.

Using EASEUS Home (free) partition software...

Turned some unused space in partition 2 to unallocated space
Create a partition 3
Copied XP installation on partition 2 to new the partition 3

Odd as it might seem my hunch was correct. Partition 2 now boots, and new partition 3 has the Hal.dll error.

At least now I can backup both partitions and try... delete all partitions/low level reformat/restore.

I figure the problem is a quirk in the disk's partition table.