Pentium M on your Socket 478 platform

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Liquid3D
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Liquid3D »

Really great review NaTE, and great work guys. I had the feeling Dothan would best the A64, and it looks like Legit was first out of the gate to put the theory to a detailed test! But where does this leave Intel? Will they consider Dothan architecture as a Desktop model? In other words can I sell my Spulunking gear required to explore current Pipeline depths associated with Prescott, or shall I continue to attend my speleology classes at Overclock-U-niversity?

Now all we can hope for is Asus (OR ANYBODY) to mate the optimal chipset with this processor? Can anyone imagine an nForce (or ATI hint hint) chipset for an Intel Dothan CPU? PCI-ex graphics VGA, ETX-form factor with straight DDR? The tight latencies should benefit this architecture. I think mating it with any DDR-II based MCH might be a mistake at this point, after all no-one wants to 915X limited I'd rather have the 875. We need a strong VGA/MCH based NB. PLEASE INTEL, PLEASE.

By the way I don't think we need be concerned with Water-cooling as I have a feeling overvolting/overclocking tolerances might be voltage, not heat limited (if you can digest that statement thermally).

:mrgreen:
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

Liquid3D wrote:Really great review NaTE, and great work guys. I had the feeling Dothan would best the A64, and it looks like Legit was first out of the gate to put the theory to a detailed test! But where does this leave Intel? Will they consider Dothan architecture as a Desktop model? In other words can I sell my Spulunking gear required to explore current Pipeline depths associated with Prescott, or shall I continue to attend my speleology classes at Overclock-U-niversity?

Now all we can hope for is Asus (OR ANYBODY) to mate the optimal chipset with this processor? Can anyone imagine an nForce (or ATI hint hint) chipset for an Intel Dothan CPU? PCI-ex graphics VGA, ETX-form factor with straight DDR? The tight latencies should benefit this architecture. I think mating it with any DDR-II based MCH might be a mistake at this point, after all no-one wants to 915X limited I'd rather have the 875. We need a strong VGA/MCH based NB. PLEASE INTEL, PLEASE.

By the way I don't think we need be concerned with Water-cooling as I have a feeling overvolting/overclocking tolerances might be voltage, not heat limited (if you can digest that statement thermally).

:mrgreen:
Damn, you said it bro!! :mrgreen:
lelliott731
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by lelliott731 »

This is awesome! Thanks for the review guys!!!

BTW, I just got a Dell Inspiron 6000d, and with the newest BIOS, there is now a line for HyperThreading in the CPU screen. Does anyone know about the Pentium M getting HyperThreading? I thought HyperThreading only helped deeply pipelined processors?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

The current Dothan Pentium M processors do not have a core that supports HT technology. The up coming Yonah 65nm Mobile processor also doesn't support HT. My guess is that the option you are seeing in the BIOS is nothing more than an error on the programers end.

Also Hyper-Threading doesn't really "Help" with longer pipelines... if that was the case we'd see a huge performance jump when HT is enabled versus disabled on the Prescott CPU's!

By the way, Welcome to the forums!
ericjwi
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by ericjwi »

Apoptosis wrote:The current Dothan Pentium M processors do not have a core that supports HT technology. The up coming Yonah 65nm Mobile processor also doesn't support HT. My guess is that the option you are seeing in the BIOS is nothing more than an error on the programers end.

Also Hyper-Threading doesn't really "Help" with longer pipelines... if that was the case we'd see a huge performance jump when HT is enabled versus disabled on the Prescott CPU's!

By the way, Welcome to the forums!
HT helps but I'd rather have dual core :)
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

ericjwi wrote:HT helps but I'd rather have dual core :)
Wouldn't we ALL! :mrgreen:
Salkcin
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Salkcin »

I believe in that the cheapest Dothan (1.6GHz) hooked up with 2x512MB of BH5/BH6 memory (faster than other memory at CAS2-2-2-5, but of course only by a margin) and a Asus P4GD1 will be a hot setup.

I remember people at xtremesystems.org voltage modding their Aopen and DFI 855GME boards reached ~2.5GHz with their 1.5/1.6GHz Dothan's at ~1,6v and some where limited by the FSB wich would'nt go any higher. 915P should only be limited beyond the 10% of the FSB specification wich is 200x1.1=220MHz.
A Dothan at 2400MHz (12x200) with 1GB of dual channel DDR400 CAS2-2-2-5 with various PAT/HyperPath enabled and a Radeon X800XL would really kick ass considering the price...

Finally it's possible to take advantage of PCI-Express while combining it with DDR memory and best... no overclock limitation wich will affect us :P
likwidkool
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by likwidkool »

guy's this is great stuff. I can't believe I just sold my P4C800-E. This just plain sucks, as I sold it and a 3.2C NW for only $250! That new i915 board looks nice though and I would need a pci-e board anyway since I sold all my good agp card's.

Great review!!
Pongi
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Pongi »

Any word if Asus will support the P4S800 series boards? (SiS 655TX/FX). I mean I wouldn't be surprised if they don't support them (maybe a technical issue) but I don't see why not, it's the same P4 bus...
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

wow, I don't know on that one, but I will let you know the second I hear something
conspectumortis
Legit User
Legit User

Post by conspectumortis »

When does the 3rd pentium part will come out ?

I thought monday ?! :/ Sorry i can´t wait :roll: :lol:
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

We have been very busy on the SkyHawk article the last few days. Lots to write and people to email, companys to contact.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
Pongi
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Pongi »

Thank you Apoptosis for keeping us informed!

I just got my Celeron 340 (1.5Ghz/512KB L2) CPU in (bought it for $40!) and I can hardly wait for the 479 adapter to show up in stores!!

But I hope Asus will support the SiS chipsets, save me from having to get a new board (already have a P4S800-D (655TX/FX)).
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Well guys the P4C800E bios with voltage support has been released now. The BIOS number is 1021 and is what I'll be using on the overclocking article.

Overclockers know the i875P chipset is better than most i865P's and the board I have is one heck of an overclocking board.

I'm downloading the BIOS and will start the overclocking article on the P4C800E-Deluxe that I have on the shelf.
davluks
Legit User
Legit User

Post by davluks »

any news on P4C800 (non deluxe) ? :mrgreen:
hmsrolst
Legit User
Legit User

Post by hmsrolst »

Any news on any variety of P4P800 other than the SE?
caslaw
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by caslaw »

Great work Apoptosis! :mrgreen: Here I was contemplating my next upgrade to a winnie nf4 setup, when Asus drops the BOMB on me with a p-m solution that may work with my current rig! :toimonster:

I am hoping that Asus will patch the bios for the p4p800 deluxe so I can drop this bad boy in (after the July price drop). That will keep me busy until dualies become affordable! :drinkers:

Eagerly awaiting pt 3 of your review to see what the 770 can do with a good board. The 770 looks great (especially at 400 bucks come August). Any chance of you dropping a 730 in there to see what it can do? I am wondering if it has more headroom making 2.4 ghz 1:1 800fsb w/ cas 2 ddr400 feasible and affordable . . . that would not suck . . . a $250 fx-55 upgrade! :-k

Keep up the good work! =D>

caslaw
Hm 2.8c @3.3 sp94 p4p800d ocz g3700r2 aiw9800p 405/378 500w zs2 z5300 p225fb
Wk xp2500 @2.2
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I got some really bad news for the almost 10,000 viewers of this thread... The CT-479 card died today (3-31-2005). All i get is a system beep when using the card. I tried both the P4P800SE and my P4C800ED without any luck. Changed out the CPU, Processor, Video Card, Memory, put back on the stock cooling unit and still no luck. The System boots, has the system beep, then hangs before the post screen and beeps. The video card fan never kicks on and the keyboard is never detected. Since all the parts work fine on other systems the only thing left is the adapter. Could I have fried the adapter after running the system at 1.6V and 200MHz FSB?

I'm going to give ASUS a heads up about this tomorrow and have a new card sent out for test. I'll send this one back and see if they can figure out what on the adapter failed...

Nate
Pongi
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Pongi »

That's a real shame, I know you were pushing it pretty hard but I wonder if it's ready for primetime? Darn I'm anxious to get one here :sick:
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

***infinitevalence morns Apop's loss,

we feel for you man, i know you were close to that adapter. but remember life is short and there are other adapters out there and one is just right for you. you can move on, all you have to do is be strong.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"