OCZ's EL PC-3200 Gold VX Memory

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

OCZ's EL PC-3200 Gold VX Memory

Post by Apoptosis »

OCZ Gold Series EL PC-3200 with Voltage eXtreme technology is a revolutionary line of memory designed to pursue a new level of DDR performance. At 2.6V volts the VX modules feature 2-3-3 timings, but running at 3.2 volts, the PC-3200 Gold VX is capable of blistering timings of 2-2-2! We take these eXtreme modules and put them to the test today for your reading pleasure

"OCZ EL PC-3200 Gold VX memory has finally given overclockers a product that can handle high voltages, overclock with the best of them, and is available at an unbelievable price point."

http://legitreviews.com/article.php?aid=190

Don't forget to enter June's Contest for a chance to win a 1GB kit of OCZ Memory!
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

Awesome review. 262mhz with 2-2-2 timings on 1T is simply amazing, expecially coming from the PC-3200 modules that are $150 or less! In my opinion, OCZ is easily one the best if not THE best memory maker right now. A very large majority of their product line is very innovative and it has all always been geared for performance and reliability with great warrenties.

Do those UTT based modules OC any better with high or medium voltage but with relaxed timings (like 2-3-3)? Just curious if you think you could get up to like 280mhz or something on 3.4v and 2-3-3 timings. That would be sweeeeet! :)
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: OCZ's EL PC-3200 Gold VX Memory

Post by kenc51 »

Apoptosis wrote:Image

OCZ Gold Series EL PC-3200 with Voltage eXtreme technology is a revolutionary line of memory designed to pursue a new level of DDR performance. At 2.6V volts the VX modules feature 2-3-3 timings, but running at 3.2 volts, the PC-3200 Gold VX is capable of blistering timings of 2-2-2! We take these eXtreme modules and put them to the test today for your reading pleasure

"OCZ EL PC-3200 Gold VX memory has finally given overclockers a product that can handle high voltages, overclock with the best of them, and is available at an unbelievable price point."

http://legitreviews.com/article.php?aid=190

Don't forget to enter June's Contest for a chance to win a 1GB kit of OCZ Memory!

Great review as usual,
New to your forum, Anandtech and now LR are now part of my daily browse.
Keep up the great work! :)

What latency / Mhz can you get with 2.8v??

Also,
Quick question, I know AMD love tight latency, but I run a P4 3.0E, p4c800, ocz plat rev2 (2.5,3,3,5) @ 250mhz
Would 2,2,2,5 with VX (or other BH* IC) increase performance much?
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: OCZ's EL PC-3200 Gold VX Memory

Post by gvblake22 »

kenc51 wrote:Also,
Quick question, I know AMD love tight latency, but I run a P4 3.0E, p4c800, ocz plat rev2 (2.5,3,3,5) @ 250mhz
Would 2,2,2,5 with VX (or other BH* IC) increase performance much?
Well, I would say that if both are running at 250mhz, you will probably only see about 5-10fps difference between the two timings (2-2-2 and 2.5-3-3). The results below have all the different memory modules running at DDR533 (266mhz fsb):
http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2416&p=9

(The OCZ VX and Mushkin Redline are both at 2-2-2-6 and the OCZ platinum rev. 2 is at 2.5-3-3-5)
fscussel
Legit User
Legit User

Post by fscussel »

does it have this awensome result in the nforce 2 platarform also?? I mean, anything like 250 mhz with 2-2-2-11 and 3 volts or less voltage?
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

Well, the RAM would have no problem running it, it's just a matter of getting a CPU and/or motherboard that will run that high of an FSB. The Mobile Barton's have hit some high fsb clocks and the NF7-S's or some of the DFI Socket A boards have also been able to hit high fsb clocks. It seems that overclocking the fsb (a.k.a. HTT) on the A64's is a little more accepting of high speeds. At least that is my take on the whole thing...
fscussel
Legit User
Legit User

Post by fscussel »

Humm well, I have exactly a mobile barton and an NF7-S motherboard :P I am now-a-days using crucial ballistix memory, but now I'm thinking in getting these VX memory, do you think it's a worth trade?
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

hmmm, tough call really. If you are getting good results with the BallistiX, I would say just stick with that since you would have to find a DDR booster in addition to the VX in order to get good results.
fscussel
Legit User
Legit User

Post by fscussel »

hummm I can get 3.07 volts in my VDIMM, dunno why, aparently there's a bug in my NF7-S that is making it overvolt in the vdimm... when I choose 2.9 volts (mobo max) it gives me 3.07volts in windows (MBM5, etc). With 3.07 wouldn't I get good results with the VX's?
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

fscussel wrote:hummm I can get 3.07 volts in my VDIMM, dunno why, aparently there's a bug in my NF7-S that is making it overvolt in the vdimm... when I choose 2.9 volts (mobo max) it gives me 3.07volts in windows (MBM5, etc). With 3.07 wouldn't I get good results with the VX's?
Nah, not really, it requires 3.2v for the 2-2-2 timings I'm pretty sure.