AMD's 690G/V Series Chipset Preview and Benchmarks

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

AMD's 690G/V Series Chipset Preview and Benchmarks

Post by Apoptosis »

Today marks the first product launch (AMD690) from the new and improved AMD (AMD+ATI). The AMD 690 series chipset represents the company's first joint effort at making a chipset that brings together the combined strengths of AMD CPU and platform technology features of the ATI Radeon X1250 GPU. The AMD 690G is also the only platform on the market where you can have simultaneous independent digital outputs of DVI and HDMI! Read on to see if this platform is right for you!

Article Title: AMD's 690G/V Series Chipset Preview and Benchmarks
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/467/1/
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

so does fully directx 9 compliant mean that it has sm 3.0 support? because the other reviews I saw on it it got a 0 in 3dmark06 under sm 3.0 only one of the three integrates had it and I think it was intel. (don't quote me on that)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

dgood wrote:so does fully directx 9 compliant mean that it has sm 3.0 support? because the other reviews I saw on it it got a 0 in 3dmark06 under sm 3.0 only one of the three integrates had it and I think it was intel. (don't quote me on that)
great point and it looks like I need to add this... Remember the X700 wasn't SM 3.0? It was based off of SM 2.0B. Since the X1250 is based off the R420 architecture it supports Shader Model 2.0b instead of the 3.0 that the R5xx series supports. Shader model 2.0b is limited to 768 instructions while shader model 3.0 has 65536. So it isn't SM3 or SM2 -- It's SM2B. Back in 2004 it looked like both models would work well and you can see who won in the long run - Shader Model 3.

It still should be directx 9c compliant as 2.0, 2a, 2b and 3.0 shader models will qualify.
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

cool what a misleading way to name the graphics as a x1k series if it doesn't have that support it should be the i750 chipset (integrated x750 as in upgraded x700) or something. Overall well done though.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

dgood wrote:cool what a misleading way to name the graphics as a x1k series if it doesn't have that support it should be the i750 chipset (integrated x750 as in upgraded x700) or something. Overall well done though.
It shouldn't be called x750! It's more like a X350! There's no vertex shaders like the X700, vertex processing is done via the CPU.
Baddad53
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Baddad53 »

What do you make of it not being DX10 compliant?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Baddad53 wrote:What do you make of it not being DX10 compliant?
We wont see DX10 compliant integrated graphics solutions for some time. I bet that we wont even see it this year. AMD doesn't even have DX10 graphics card at any price point. The R600 is delayed till May/June, but it seems the RV610 graphics card will arrive in April if the rumors are true. Look how long it too the x300 and X700 to make it from discrete solutions into the chipset (about 1.5 years). Maybe this time next year we will see DX10 integrated boards, but to be honest with you it's wont be worth it for gaming as it will be slow. AMD will also be well into their Fusion series by 2008, so maybe platforms like this one will be gone... Who knows, but it's fun to think about.

As for others being DX10 compliant the NVIDIA GeForce 7050 has already been leaked out and is NVIDIA's answer to the 690G. It too has HDMI/HDCP support and many of the features that the 690G has. Pictures of it were posted all over the web, but it seems that most sites have taken then down at the request of NVIDIA. Here is a picture of it that was ripped from CHW and is being hosted on DVH. Anyway, the point I was trying to make is that it is not DX10 either according to the leaked specs and the name of it. ;)

Baddad53
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Baddad53 »

Some time for sure. I just think the "Master Plan" from MS is a standardized and good gaming off the shelves system to keep the majority of PC gamers from going to consoles and MACs. It will take a few years but I feel its in the cards as a target product for the masses. AMD / ATI merger why else?