The CoolIT Systems RAM Fan Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

The CoolIT Systems RAM Fan Review

Post by Apoptosis »

The CoolIT Systems RAM Fan attaches to your motherboards RAM bank by clipping onto the standard Dual In-line Memory Modules (DIMM). The blue LED fan and the angled design directs air flow across the RAM modules to reduce risk of overheating and improve the RAM's ability to be overclocked. Read on as we take a look at the RAM Fan and try it out on some overclocked modules!

Rather than doing some lame benchmark that doesn't use all of the memory on a constant basis we opted to use the Ultra-X R.S.T. PRO2 and fully load the base and extended memory on our modules at 1066MHz. With the problem solved on how to heat up the modules we then had to figure out how to measure the temperature of the modules. We ended up using our infrared digital laser pyrometer to find out the temperature.

Article Title: The CoolIT Systems RAM Fan Review @ Legit Reviews
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/469/1/

How I ended up writing 5 pages about a RAM Fan is beyond me, so feel free to yell at me if I went overboard on this one.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Nice little gadget, but I still say make your own and save some cash and have a little fun making it............... :mrgreen:

liqnit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by liqnit »

I never knew that the memory area is so hot.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

yeah it gets roasty... I saw 70C for a split second with 2.5V on the memory at 1200MHz, which is nuts... I always sit an 80mm fan on the test bench systems to help keep them nice and cool. On my personal system I have four 1GB PC2-8500 Corsair DOMINATOR modules and at idle at 2.2V they are 40-44C on the top of the inside modules... Think I might stick a fan on those.
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by camaroguy1998 »

How hard would it be to replace the fan with another with a 3 pinner?
Then you could monitor temps or control the fan speed through the BIOS or some other controller!
Since they used dbl sided tape, it seems that it could be done fairly easy!?!
ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
AMD 3400G - 32G GSkill RipJaw V - {Win10} Pro 64bit, Win11 Update
Corsair H100i RGB PRO XT 240mm AIO Cooler
Corsair RM750X PSU - Corsair Force MP600 M.2 2280 1TB SSD
ASUS 27" LED LCD monitor - Lepai 2x20W Amp - Dayton B652 Spkrs

Corsair 4000D Airflow
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

camaroguy1998 wrote:How hard would it be to replace the fan with another with a 3 pinner?
Then you could monitor temps or control the fan speed through the BIOS or some other controller!
Since they used dbl sided tape, it seems that it could be done fairly easy!?!
It would be easy, but the double sided tape doesn't seem like it would work twice if you know what I mean. It's a cheap design and who knows how long the tape would even last as it is...
moon111
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by moon111 »

I have a short-attention span sometimes, so forgive me... But was this test system out in the open? I'm just curious if there could be significant temperature differences if there was a CPU fan instead of water-cooling, and the impact of case fans.

I'm pretty handy, and a little aluminum bracket like that looks like it would be easy enough to build. But if one weren't so handy, is there enough material there to mod on a 80 mm fan top?