New laptop (maybe) any suggustions?

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
tekgek
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

New laptop (maybe) any suggustions?

Post by tekgek »

Hey guys,

The screen on my laptop just went out, so I sent it into Dell. It was the usual tech support process; they sent me the shipping box, and it is on its way. The thing that makes this whole thing interesting is the fact that they asked me to send in the charger with the laptop. Since my dog tripped on my original laptop charger, I ordered an after-market one. Now, I know that Motorola and some other companies say that their warranties are void if you use unauthorized chargers, or otherwise non-Motorola chargers. Is this the case with Dell? I am just wondering because if they are not going to fix the machine, then I can feel justified in buying a new laptop.

Now, question number two: I have been duped by Hp, and maybe Dell, but this does happen with Dell, then where do I turn for a nice laptop under or slightly above $1000?

Thanks,
Tekgek

P.S. I have to write this from a friend's computer that is as slow as Molasses on a January morning (think old AMD Athlon XPs, specifically, the 2500).
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Re: New laptop (maybe) any suggustions?

Post by martini161 »

http://cgi.ebay.com/Alienware-Area-51-m ... m153.l1262
thats a good deal, look around on ebay STORES, not regular auctions. also many manufactures offer refurbished products right on their website
geokilla

Post by geokilla »

Excellent bang for buck laptop. Should perform more ore less as the ASUS G1S-B1 series.

ASUS M51SN-B1 at NCIX

ASUS M51SN-X2 at Newegg
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.16V (CPU-Z + LinX)
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H F14 BIOS
ASUS GTX 460 768MB @ 800/1950
Kingston HyperX DDR3 8GB @ DDR-1333
Corsair AX750
Crucial M4 128GB
Western Digital Black 1TB
Cooler Master Hyper 212+ EVO
BenQ E2420HD
---------------------
I AM CANADIAN!
tekgek
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by tekgek »

Okay, sorry for the wait, but my old laptop just came back, and it just has a better screen. So, I will hang onto this laptop for a while. I will wait oh, I do not know, maybe a year. Thanks for the suggestions, and I will use the suggestion in the following year. Thanks again.

Thanks,
Tekgek
Gameros
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Gameros »

tekgek wrote:P.S. I have to write this from a friend's computer that is as slow as Molasses on a January morning (think old AMD Athlon XPs, specifically, the 2500).
I happen to love my Athlon (not Athlon XP) processor. Okay, maybe not love, I plan every day on replacing it.
Athlon 2900 + 9600PRO + Chaintech MB + 1GB PC3200 = I need a new computer
tekgek
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by tekgek »

Oh, right, sorry if I offended any of the Athlon Patriots. I liked them at one point as well.