Need Help - Stuck and Frustrated

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Need Help - Stuck and Frustrated

Post by Major_A »

While I'm waiting on the replacement power supply for my friend's Llano build I went rummaging through some boxes and found a temp power supply. The plan was to go ahead and get all the software and Windows/Office updates installed. The new power supply shows up I install it and take it to him. I put in the temp power supply and it boots. I "Start Windows Normally" since the Corsair crapped out mid install. I proceed to install some apps then finally I make it to the new BIOS. Since I'm lazy I downloaded the Windows update. I start the install "Run as administrator" and it does its thing. The computer restarts so I get back into the BIOS. I go through the process of setting BIOS options. Tell it to use the onboard video, run the drives in AHCI, etc... When I'm done with that I save the BIOS profile as "SSB BIOS". Click the save and exit. Upon exiting the computer beeps six times then reboots. Nothing... The CPU fan is running full out and all the case fans are running. Ok so I flip the power switch on the PSU to the off position and hold down the power button. This helps when a PC shuts off unexpectedly, i.e. a storm. Flip the switch back to on, same thing; fans are running full out, but the monitor stays blank. This time I reach in there and swap the jumper to clear the BIOS. Same thing, nothing. Ok, starting to get pissed and worried all at the same time. Switch the jumper to the clear CMOS pins and pull the motherboard battery. Wait 5 minutes try it again, nothing. Since I'm using a 19" TV as my monitor with a HDMI cable I walk inside and grab the trusty VGA cable. Pull the HDMI cable, install the VGA hit the power button. Same thing, fans going full out. Turn off the PC pull the RAM sticks and try them one at a time in each slot. Reseat all the motherboard connections, same thing. Look on Google for UEFI Beep codes. Find one code and it's for 5 beeps, and it means there's not video attached. Figure that's close enough. Go back to my box of goodies and grab a 9400GT. Plug it in, start the PC and the same damn thing.

So that's where I'm at. I'm flat out stuck. I can't try the RAM in a different computer (it's DDR3 and I don't have a DDR3 PC). I can't try another power supply, hence why I'm using this one. So far this build has been one GD headache after the other.

*Update - Still a no-go*
I have pulled the motherboard battery and checked the voltage using a simple digital multimeter and the voltage was fine (3.12V). I then grabbed my Coolmax power supply tester, model number PS-224. The voltages are all within the normal operating parameters. While testing with the Coolmax power supply tester I checked the voltages (12V, 5V and 3.3V) using the multimeter. The multimeter readings are what is being displayed on the Coolmax LCD. I am officially out of ideas at this point.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Need Help - Stuck and Frustrated

Post by Apoptosis »

Just curious...

Why did you go into the BIOS and change the drive settings after the initial windows installation and the windows update? Switching to AHCI/RAID is okay, but IDE to AHCI after a Windows install will freak out prety much all installs.

Are you sure the windows update was done when you cleared the CMOS and made changes? I think SP1 restarts more than once depending on the platform.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

For whatever reason the BIOS initially sets the storage controller to IDE. I installed the ACHI drivers when I put the machine together (installed the driver after formatting the hard drive during Win 7 installation). The case has an external eSATA function so in order for that to work the controller has to be AHCI or RAID, right?

I haven't been online with the machine yet. The wireless adapter is sitting there waiting for me to finish with my installs that I already had downloaded and transferred with a thumb drive.

I have the redistributable install of SP1. So I install Windows, then immediately install SP1. From there it's stuff like Firefox, CCleaner, Flash Player, etc...
Velo:Sity

Post by Velo:Sity »

Enabling AHCI in BIOS should corrupt the OS loading and last time I tried it it gave me an error message, but video worked OK. So I can't see how this can be the problem. I just rolled back to IDE, loaded Windows and messed with registry a bit, then I could enable AHCI and everything has been fine ever since. I have no idea what can be causing the video issues though...
DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DJ Tucker »

not sure what 6 beeps is and yeah i found that 5 long beeps is no gpu attached. just to ask have you got the new 1.40 bios update?
MSI Z590 Gaming Edge Wifi
Core i7 10700KF 5Ghz @ 1.25v With Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super 1980Mhz @ 0.925v With TechN GPU Block
32Gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600Mhz 16-18-18-38
Aqua Computer Ultitube 200 Pro D5 Next
Corsair XR5 240mm x2 & 360mm
Intel 670p 2Tb & WD Blue M.2 2Tb
Corsair HX1000i
Philips Momentum 3000 24" (Main) & MSI Optix G241V E2 (Second)
Lian Li O11D
Roccat Vulcan 120 Aimo, Roccat Kone Aimo Remastered and Roccat Sym Pro Air
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

The BIOS update was to "updated CPU microcode". Since that is so vague I figured WTH. I didn't know if it meant that it added support for the new Llano CPUs or if it meant it corrected issues with the current CPUs.

I've installed Windows in IDE mode, then turned on AHCI later and it was Blue Screen city. This won't even POST. So no, I don't think it's a storage controller issue. If that were the case then resetting the CMOS should've let me get back into the BIOS.

I just contacted ASRock support. The sad part is before I filled out their online form it said I should contact the place of purchase. Not so fast there ASRock. If the board is bad then yes I'll send it back to Newegg for a new board. But if it's as stupid as a corrupted BIOS chip then they can send me a new one (for some reason this board has a user replaceable BIOS chip).
DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DJ Tucker »

from what i can see the 6 short beeps you getting could lead to keybaord chip controller error causing the failure! but then saying this that is from the ami beep codes.
Corsair HX1000i
Lian Li O11D
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

That's where I'm hitting resistance too DJ. I can't find beep codes for the BIOS. I've found the link talking about it but the diagnostics there are way more involved than what I'm trying to do.

I pulled the board from the case and ran it on the box. I wanted to rule out a grounding issue. The good news is all of the power levels are fine. The bad news is the damn thing still won't POST.

Here's a short clip of the fan going nuts. I shot the video with a Canon G11 from about 3 feet away. When I first pulled the board and tried it the fan was quiet. Then after letting it run a bit to get what I deemed accurate voltage readings the fan went nuts. This makes little sense to me. What that tells me is the motherboard is working. Why else would it be adjusting the CPU's fan RPM to compensate for more heat?
DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DJ Tucker »

wow that fan is going nuts haha. well the only thing i can think of doing is try and force the motherboard to shut itself off then turn it back on and see if you get a message saying what happened. if you do then you know that everything is working fine which could lead to bios failure. by the way you are using the same 17" monitor i was using before this one :lol:
Corsair HX1000i
Lian Li O11D
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

I'm convinced the board is bad, I'll contact Newegg tomorrow and setup a RMA. This entire build has been nothing short of a giant PITA. I still haven't heard a peep from ASRock. I'd rather send it back to Newegg for a new replacement product anyway.

*EDIT*
I'm not telling my friend I had to send back another part. He'll think I'm some kind of incompetent idiot. Good news is I know his Newegg account info, since I created it. The last time I had this much trouble with a build was, well... never. I've had DOA RAM, motherboards, etc... but not where multiple things crater. It will be my luck I get everything back and installed only to find out the RAM is now bad.
DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DJ Tucker »

well keep me informed as to whether you get it fixed either by new board or something else as i would love to know cause my asus p5n-e sli motherboard i had to replace by asrock penryn board did the same and think it was a bad board but still got it and all fan go nuts 100% and gives nothing on the monitor :(
Corsair HX1000i
Lian Li O11D
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Still no word from ASRock. I have the motherboard packed up and I'm sending it off tomorrow before class (back in school :evil:). I USPS Priority mailed the broken power supply back last Monday yet my status is still...
RMA Issued On: 8/19/2011
Defective Parts Received on: Defective Parts Not Yet Received
Once I get everything back I'll pray to whoever will listen that nothing is DOA and the remaining parts are in working order. If the CPU and RAM (current parts not going back) turn out to be bad then I'll be temped to take my AK to it and owe my friend some money.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Small Update

Newegg approved the RMA and they sent out the replacement board yesterday. For some reason though, maybe the holiday, it won't get here until the 8th. Corsair took 8 days to receive the power supply (it took Newegg 3 days to get the motherboard and other day to issue the RMA). The status hasn't changed though. So I have no freaking idea when I'll get the replacement part.

Info as of 10PM 9-3-11
Thank you for choosing Corsair products! The following is the status of your RMA Number XXXXXXX.
Defective Parts Received on: 8/30/2011
* NOTE: it may take up to 24 hours for this date to be updated after arrival at Corsair
Part Number Received: N/A
Quantity Received: N/A
RMA Replacement Parts Ship Date: N/A
Replacement Part Number: N/A
Replacement Part Quantity: N/A
Replacement Shipping Method: N/A
Replacement Shipping Tracking Number: N/A
Tuesday (8-30-11) I emailed Corsair asking if they test the product before they send the replacement. From what I've read on Newegg's site this power supply is hampered by DOA and high-pitched whining issues. I asked if they check for either of these issues. I also stated that I want them to check the replacement even if it adds to the time to get it back. But I never heard back from them. So I should've gone the Newegg route here. If I went Newegg instead of Corsair I'd already have the part back.

Before I sent back the motherboard I emailed (8-27-11) ASRock using their Support Form. To update on that, I never heard back from them. That is some s****y customer service there. I planned on picking up an ASRock board my next build, but with the lack of support I'm thinking of just sticking with my tried-and-true Gigabyte brand.
DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DJ Tucker »

asrock are crap for responding to e-mails i should know as i had an asrock board myself but once you get the replacement parts keep me informed :)
Corsair HX1000i
Lian Li O11D
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

*Update 9-7-11*

Corsair Status:
Thank you for choosing Corsair products! The following is the status of your RMA Number XXXXXXX.
Defective Parts Received on: 8/30/2011
* NOTE: it may take up to 24 hours for this date to be updated after arrival at Corsair
Part Number Received: N/A
Quantity Received: N/A
RMA Replacement Parts Ship Date: N/A
Replacement Part Number: N/A
Replacement Part Quantity: N/A
Replacement Shipping Method: N/A
Replacement Shipping Tracking Number: N/A
Well I'm looking at the replacement in front of me. It's in a sealed package so I assume there was no QC check like I asked. Thanks for keeping the RMA status up to date.

The replacement motherboard showed up at the same time. I don't have time to mess with it until Friday due to school. I'll report back then.
DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DJ Tucker »

well at least you got the replace so i hope it all works well :)
Corsair HX1000i
Lian Li O11D
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Got it all put back together and I'm currently looping PCMark 7. I even went against my better judgement and installed the latest BIOS. This time though I ran it through the BIOS. So far it's working well. I'm going to beat the Hell out of it for a day or two then if it works right I'm taking it to him.
lordvic
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by lordvic »

Happy to hear you got your situation worked out :drinkers: .
Cooler Master HAF 932 // Phenom II 1090T @ 4.1GHz (not 110% stable) // ASUS Crosshair V Formula 990FX // Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler // Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 @ 1150/1500 // 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill RipJaws + 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill RipJawsX @1600 8-9-8-21-1T // Corsair TX850 // Corsair ForceGT 120GB SSD // Kingston V200+ 120GB SSD // WD Caviar Black 1TB // LiteON DVD-RW // Windows 7 Ult. 64-bit
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Looped PCMark 7 for a few hours, no problem. Ran the Extreme Preset in 3DMark 11 at the monitor's resolution for 3 runs, no problem. Ran AIDA64 Stability Test for over 9 hours and no problem. I think it's safe to say that the PC is fine. Anyone know of a game that will take advantage of 4 cores? I was thinking of installing Company of Heroes and letting a long skirmish run. But I can't remember if CoH uses all 4 cores or not.

Now for a dumb question. How do I wipe off the finger prints that are all over the case? I was thinking about using 91% alcohol but I wasn't sure if it would damage the paint or not.

*EDIT*
Added benchmark scores for 3DMark 11 and PCMark 7.

LR A8-3850 PCMark 7 Score: 3575
My A8-3850 PCMark 7 Score: 2294
SSD makes a huge difference.
DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DJ Tucker »

glad it gone well and yes mate you can use 91% alcohol and it won't damaged the paint :)
Corsair HX1000i
Lian Li O11D