New system

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New system

Post by Apoptosis »

Not trying to be a dick...

Have you counted standoffs and made sure there is a screw used for each? Some cases have standoffs in locations not drilled out on the board.

Also, I'm offering again to send you out a brand new board in the box if you'd like to try a second board.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Apoptosis wrote:Not trying to be a dick...

Have you counted standoffs and made sure there is a screw used for each? Some cases have standoffs in locations not drilled out on the board.

Also, I'm offering again to send you out a brand new board in the box if you'd like to try a second board.
LOL - yea, I thought of the standoff thing too and counted 3 times to make sure. I was thinking there was one in there that should not be and was making contact but there wasn't.

Hate for you to do the shipping thing again (time and money) if I can get this working. It worked for quite a while this last time compared to how it was doing so maybe with cleaning the cpu real good and reapplying paste will do the trick.

Gonna get into bios and mess around oc'ing a bit today hopefully so I can really put this through the paces and see if it acts up.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by camaroguy1998 »

Put a piece of electrical tape over each standoff. Then install board.
ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
AMD 3400G - 32G GSkill RipJaw V - {Win10} Pro 64bit, Win11 Update
Corsair H100i RGB PRO XT 240mm AIO Cooler
Corsair RM750X PSU - Corsair Force MP600 M.2 2280 1TB SSD
ASUS 27" LED LCD monitor - Lepai 2x20W Amp - Dayton B652 Spkrs

Corsair 4000D Airflow
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

camaroguy1998 wrote:Put a piece of electrical tape over each standoff. Then install board.
I put the paper/cardboard washers on each of them last time I pulled it apart just to make sure they were not touching :)

I am still getting the odd temp readings also

From previous post
CPUIDHWTemps.JPG
CPUIDHWTemps.JPG (25.94 KiB) Viewed 14747 times
Just took this reading now
CPUIDHWTemps11-2108.JPG
CPUIDHWTemps11-2108.JPG (26.12 KiB) Viewed 14747 times
Would anyone have a reasoning for this? seems 1,4 and 5 are always way hotter while 2 is way cooler. Even when stress testing they never equal out.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Do you know what those are even measuring? Those look like random board temperature points. Likely VRM or something. Might want to e-mail Gigabyte with a full report from the application and ask what the temperature readings are actually measuring.

That board has "Smart Fan 5 features 5 Temperature Sensors"... Maybe the Gigabyte application or BIOS temperature menu will explain what those are?

Same board here and its showing what the temperatures are for. Also people explaining why the readings highlighted aren't the same - https://www.reddit.com/r/GAAB350/commen ... _readings/

Follow Me on Twitter!
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

So it died. Kinda lol might be the main power connector as it would not turn on and when I went to remove the power cable the lights flickered. I give up as I dont think I can replace that with my non existant soldering skills :)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

send me an e-mail or give me a call.
Follow Me on Twitter!
DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DJ Tucker »

This year really hasn't gone well many of us. Even I had bad luck when 1803 update came out for windows 10 and refused to install then corrupt my current install. Took 5 days to get windows working from clean install and only just got it up again :( As for the mobo or power supply (psu most likely by the sound of it) dying on you after all the issues, I would have almost given up by now. I'll give you credit where credit is due for your fighting spirit 8)
MSI Z590 Gaming Edge Wifi
Core i7 10700KF 5Ghz @ 1.25v With Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super 1980Mhz @ 0.925v With TechN GPU Block
32Gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600Mhz 16-18-18-38
Aqua Computer Ultitube 200 Pro D5 Next
Corsair XR5 240mm x2 & 360mm
Intel 670p 2Tb & WD Blue M.2 2Tb
Corsair HX1000i
Philips Momentum 3000 24" (Main) & MSI Optix G241V E2 (Second)
Lian Li O11D
Roccat Vulcan 120 Aimo, Roccat Kone Aimo Remastered and Roccat Sym Pro Air
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

DJ Tucker wrote: As for the mobo or power supply (psu most likely by the sound of it) dying on you after all the issues, I would have almost given up by now. I'll give you credit where credit is due for your fighting spirit 8)
Tried 2 different PSU's and both do the same thing. Oh I checked and rechecked everything i could think of!!

2018 has seen our car totally die that we put thousands of dollars into and we had to buy a new one, multiple hospital visits for her dad, wife was in twice, me with my neck, Every little thing breaking at some point that we had to shell out money for (waiting for this laptop to go since it is still 2018 and luck sucks this year), tried to go on vacation and had to evacuate after 3 days because of the hurricane (never even hit in Chincoteague, VA where we go), went back in October to finish out our stay (very nice of them to allow us back down) and the day we go down guess what comes across the country, yep, hurricane and it turned wet and cold *sigh* it has REALLY been a shitty year. Bright spot is having new computer stuff to play with, no matter the problems it is still way better than everything else. :supz:
DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DJ Tucker »

I love how the computer even though its seen better days and giving you the grief it is, is still the highlight of 2018 for you :lol:
Corsair HX1000i
Lian Li O11D
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

DJ Tucker wrote:I love how the computer even though its seen better days and giving you the grief it is, is still the highlight of 2018 for you :lol:
That is how I earn my nerdy geek card LOL
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Sorry, so much going on I forgot to update you all. I know you are checking this thread every other minute to see what the hell is going on :mrgreen:

Problem is the hold down thumb screws/pegs for the water cooler is shaving off metal particles when you turn the thunb screws! So weird but that was what was causing the problem.

I am going to try and replace the hold down stuff as soon as I have some time to really search around for them or even look at a local hardware store for something that would work. My best bet would be to email the company and fond out if they sell replacements that do not shave metal off of them. It is sad that it had to ruin a good motherboard and an old gtx660 video card :(

I am back up and running again (thanx a ton to Nate and my use of a credit card to get a MSI Radeon RX580) so I am still in the leery/testing phase to make sure I blew all the metal particles off and to make sure everything works good for a few weeks before I even attempt to overclock again.
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by camaroguy1998 »

At least you figured it out! That's great!
It sucks when those things happen, that just don't happen to anyone else! ](*,)
ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
AMD 3400G - 32G GSkill RipJaw V - {Win10} Pro 64bit, Win11 Update
Corsair H100i RGB PRO XT 240mm AIO Cooler
Corsair RM750X PSU - Corsair Force MP600 M.2 2280 1TB SSD
ASUS 27" LED LCD monitor - Lepai 2x20W Amp - Dayton B652 Spkrs

Corsair 4000D Airflow
DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DJ Tucker »

good job on finding the issue. Nate to the rescue 8) it's the most unexpected issue that happens to you hey knightrid :shock:
Corsair HX1000i
Lian Li O11D
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

DJ Tucker wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:19 pm good job on finding the issue. Nate to the rescue 8) it's the most unexpected issue that happens to you hey knightrid :shock:
I should write a book LOL
DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DJ Tucker »

should call the book the unexpected moments of Knightrid.
Corsair HX1000i
Lian Li O11D
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Over 20 years building PCs and I've never seen metal shavings like that from a water cooler thumb screw... Unreal.

Glad it's back up and running.
Follow Me on Twitter!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Still good?
Follow Me on Twitter!
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

KnightRid wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:05 am So it happened again with the windows update that came through. Computer locked up, power button would not shut it off and then it would not restart. I moved the cooler block around a bit (pushed in on it really) and then it booted up but the led is back to just red.

I want to pull the water block off and see if the cpu comes out with it. I have read online that people had that issue with some boards/waterblocks and since the last time I took it off the CPU came out before I released the locking lever, it may be the problem.
This is why I have windows updates turned off for the last 6 years. No problems whatsoever. I believe their "security updates" are only designed to upgrade how they can spy on us more efficiently. I also hated when updates were always running at the worst time to slow down the PC. No "updates" for me.
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Sorry, been busy with the estate stuff.

Working great except the lights. Installed the updated Fusion program and now no lights come on. I am going to uninstall it and try setting a color in bios again to see if it fixes it but no shut offs or anything crazy going on but that.