MXM vs AXIOM

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

MXM vs AXIOM

Post by DMB2000uk »

ok so i get teh form factor with nvidia's mobile graphic cards but whats up with ATI? :?

Are they actually using AXIOM or are comanies mainly still using propriatary card formats? If AXIOM exists are there three varients too?

Reason i ask is because i was wondering if the mobility X300 uses AXIOM and if so what type of card it is? Oh and the new X1600, tho i guess that'd be the 'next level' up on the card types.

Many thanks everyone, :rolleyes:

Dan
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

You can get an X300 on Axiom and MXM, so it's confusing. Dell mostly uses Axiom, but MXM is used by nearly everyone else. I talked with ATI in person a couple weeks ago and they said not to base your purchase on the video card slot as no retail cards will be on the market for years to come.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

ok, so i guess that i'll not go based purely on that. :P
But are my suspicions correct about there being three varients of the AXIOM cards?

I like the idea of the PCI-e lane 'throttling down' to x1 when its not needed. Or does ATI's MXM variant do that as well?

Dan